1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diabetes

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by nintenfreak92, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Diabetes runs on both sides of my family, and lately I have been able to eat and eat and not gain a single pound. Also, lately if I have any type of sugar I get really tired. Should I be concerned?

2. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Errrmm....not really. You're way too young to be really concerned although diabetes in young people is possible. Because it runs on both sides of your family, it just makes you more susceptible to diabetes - you won't necessarily get it.

Lots of people your age can eat and eat without weight gain and sugar can have a draining effect on you depending on how much you consume. I'm not a doctor so I don't really want to say you've got nothing to worry about (and get it wrong!!). If you have any concerns, speak to your doctor. He can arrange a blood test and put your mind at rest.

3. sexyalex

umm, no need to panic mate. like HIV u can have diabetis and live OK. i have diabetes and i am ok. i am not overweight or anything and i am type 2. infact my doctor said the trace of diabetis in my blood is so small it would seem as if it isn't there. EVERYONE in my family is diabetic but non have died from it...only high blood pressure.

so if u know diabetes runs through ur family don't be conserned about how much sugar u have in ur diet persay(since we r still young) it's best to concentrate on the amount of iron and calcium our body/blood receive. because what people don't know the main causes of diabetes isn't sugar...it's stress. that's how my mom got it. i was born with it.

it's also important to remeber that sugar is not the enemy. starch is. u will probebly learn in biology, i learnt both from bio and my doctor (which is my uncle). but even though starch breaks down into sugar YES, the type of sugar it is, is the specific type of sugar the pancrias tries to illiminate out the body...which is glucose and unless ur a very athlectic person and use it up as much as u consume it. trust me...ur giving ur body more work than u can possibly imagine :dry:

so it's best to excersise...especially if u know u have a bad diet. :slight_smile:

PS- insuline isn't so bad to take if u use the pens. needles are so 20th century.

4. Wired106

Hmm... I don't think you should be too concerned but if your worried about it you can go get a blood test like Bromptonrocks said. I've gotten a blood test before and I absolutely hate needles.

5. sexyalex

if the nurse knows what she is doing a blood test won't hurt. u won't even feel the needle at all! i should know. i got many. and i only had a mishaps once. it was when i changed doctor btw.

6. panda

I hate going against the crowd.I'm just reading a book about diet.The chapter I just finished reading is about diabetes.From 1990-2001 the number of American children diagnosed with diabetes went from 4%- 8%. Obesity is a major cause, Genetics and obesity .Again I am not a doctor , but proper diet and exercise can help prevent it. Talk to a doctor.

7. justjoshoh

A healthy concern about diabetes is wise, especially considering your family history. There is significant links to other issues, like cardiovascular disease for those with type 2 diabetes. Keep in mind the signs and symptoms of diabetes, maintain a healthy diet, and advise your medical doctor of your family history.

8. shaun

My best friend's father was a type 1 diabetic, and he didn't develop childhood onset diabetes until he was 15 years old. Type 1 diabetes, when full blown, prevents you from producing your own insulin. Diabetes that is uncontrolled will cause weight loss, sometimes to unhealthy amounts. Here's a test you can do to give you an idea of whether you should be concerned.

Borrow one of your family members blood sugar testers, (change the needle in the finger poker please!) and test your blood glucose (blood sugar) about 15 minutes after eating, and then again in about an hour. Did your blood sugar drop to normal ranges after the hour? Normal range would be somewhere around 100-150 depending on how much sugar you consumed.

Note: I am not a medical professional, but I've learned alot about diabetes, being the primary care giver for a good friend of mine who is type 1 diabetic. This is not an inclusive test that will prove or disprove that you are developing diabetes, you would have to have a GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) and Insulin levels tested by a medical professional to be sure, but if your blood sugar does not drop significantly an hour after eating, this may be cause for concern. Please procede using your best judgement, or talk to your parents if you're concerned, they should know all about diabetes, if someone in the household is afflicted.

#8 shaun, Feb 16, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2008