1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My doctor doesn't want to help me

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ravenfire, Dec 2, 2012.

1. ravenfire

I've been having terrible migraine headaches for over a year now, and on friday I saw my doctor for the third time in about 6 months about them, and it's really bothering me. The first time, she told me to take ibuprofen, and it worked for about two days before it just stopped. Then I started taking Excedrin Migraine, which worked wonders for a while until a few months ago when that stopped working too. After that, I saw my doctor a second time and she sent me to a pain clinic. I was eligible for their physical therapy program (they thought that the migraines were caused by tension in my neck and back), but the program demanded more time than I could give because school was starting and I would be dealing with some pretty hard classes. So, two days ago, I went back to the doctor again, hoping that I would be given some sort of prescription medication to get rid of the headaches. My mom thought it was a good idea, and so did my psychiatrist who also has migraine headaches and actually takes a low dose of medication to help her with them. My doctor said some really rude and unethical things to me, directly telling me that I was eating too much junk food and that I was just a lazy teenager. She also indirectly called me overweight (I'm 120 lbs and 5'2). She told me that if I got more exercise and ate healthier, the headaches would go away. My mom told her that she has migraine headaches too and mentioned the medication she takes for them, and as soon as my mom mentioned medication, the doctor totally shot it down and said that she didn't like to medicate children. As soon as I left the office, I started crying because I was so upset. I could be wrong, but I thought that medication was what I really needed. Sure, I'm considering the other things she talked about, but everyone I talked about it with thought that medication was the obvious answer. I really just want my migraines to go away, because sometimes they're so bad that I can't move or think. I'm a bit suspicious of this doctor, too, because my sister has the same doctor, and she went to this doctor to see about her depression, and instead of giving my sister your generic antidepressant, she gave my sister birth control pills, which she's been taking for about a month, with no results. She's just as depressed as she was before, and I think she's gotten worse, too. I guess the reason I'm saying all of this is because I really think there's something wrong with this doctor, and I want to be sure that it's not just me. Also, if anyone else thinks it's strange that she won't put me on medication. Thanks to anyone who read this long and confusing paragraph, your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated (*hug*)

2. PurpleCrab

I read it all!! :thewave:

.. which is not that bad actually, and it's well written :slight_smile:

For having seen so many doctors I know for a fact that some of them will connect with you much better than others. They know it too and it's their duty to listen and refer their patient to another doctor if something like this occurs.
    They will not take it personal; at least they shouldn't, if they are professional in their practice. One way or another, ask and you shall receive :wink:

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IMO your doctor is an arsehole, is there another you can see?

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My doctor sounds a lot like yours. I've gotten to the point where I won't go back and see him. Is there any other doctor that you can see? This might be the best option for you at this point.

5. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    sounds like yr. Doctor is an idiot & really needs to be fired.

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Get a different doctor.

7. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I think you should definitely get a different doctor. In the meantime, try going into a walk-in clinic, if there is one in you're town. Some towns just aren't big enough to have a walk-in. But if there is one, I definitely recommend going in there instead and explaining your situation.