1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to gain muscle!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Alexander69, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Alexander69

I have a seriously hard time gaining muscle! I guess because I'm a vegetarian and pretty much a vegan I don't get protein? I'm very slender but I can not put muscle on I'm so weak LOL I've tried I took protein drinks and it helped for a while then my muscle went away UGH I don't really care that much but it would be nice to have more muscle then I have. Any ideas or advice? :eusa_danc

2. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I believe that generally, the max protein you should be taking daily is 0.9g * your weight in lbs. So you should calculate the max you should be taking, and see the difference between what you do take and the max is, then you could use protein supplements to make that difference. A lot of body builders and athletes say you can have more, but I'm pretty sure 0.9 is the max before any excess protein is not used by the body at all. Don't forget to up the protein as your weight increases from muscle mass.

Lately I've been doing this and going to the gym for an hour every day, and it's making quite a lot of difference.

But whatever you do, DON'T forget to eat carbs, the bodies main source of energy is glucose, and if it can't get that from starch then it'll start using other sources, such as your muscle mass to get the energy it needs.

All the best.

3. Alexander69

I eat like 800 cals a day max I don't eat carbs :O where are carbs? I eat salads and quinoa am thus pretty much it a day....... :O

---------- Post added 4th Dec 2012 at 04:13 AM ----------

And thats*

4. KaraBulut

Adding muscle is a combination of eating more and working out more.

The normal caloric intake for an 18 year old male should be between 2200 and 3000 kcals per day. To add muscle, you would need to eat more than the norm.

If you're eating 800 kcals per day, you will not be able to add muscle. Nor will you be able to maintain any muscle since your body is now digesting muscle to make up for the lack of nutrition.

But you've been told this before:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/health-well-being/76235-quinoa-good-you-help-please.html
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/health-well-being/75093-right-weight-male-teen.html
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/health-well-being/75899-mens-waist-size.html

5. Alexander69

I know but I can't eat that much! I don't know how to!

6. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Well it's going to be harder for a vegetarian to acquire muscle mass, but you can certainly eat more than you do currently. Start by finding foods that have more calories in them, and start adding calories to calories, I.E adding LOTS of cheese and butter to pasta. If you want to eat more, then eat foods with LESS carbs in them, but try to still get enough carbs. If you aren't getting the carbs you need then your body will make you feel hungry again, because you're out of energy. Eating foods full of carbs fill you up quickly because it's all your body needs.

However, if you're getting full on 800 cals a day, then you probably need to start doing some strenuous exercise. The more energy you burn, the more your body will demand. Even so, you should be able to eat more than you do. Start pushing yourself to eat a little bit more, to the point you start to feel sick but not to over do it so you will actually be sick. If you do this every time then your body will adapt to the increased intake, then you can do it again until eventually you're eating what you're happy with.

But as Kara said, you won't gain muscle only on 800 cals a day, your body will actually be stripping itself of muscle and other things such as fat in order to get the energy it needs.

All the best.

7. Alexander69

I can't eat cheese or pasta I'm lactose intolerant and I have celiacs so I can't have breads or pastas or anything containing gluten :frowning2: it sucks :frowning2:

8. Zaio

Zaio Guest

There are still cheeses and such without lactose in them, as well as bread without gluten.

If I'm going to be honest I'm surprised you don't have problems with your bones and such, eating only 800 cals a day. I'm very thin and my snacks contain about 800-1000 cals. Lately I've been eating about 3000-4000 cals a day and I'm not gaining any weight.

It might be worth scheduling an appointment with your GP so you can discuss this sort of stuff with him/her, as 800 cals a day is not healthy. I'm sure he/she will be able to give you some great advice on what to eat and how to increase your cals intake.

All the best.

#8 Zaio, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
  9. sguyc

Work out and eat protein. All it takes.

---------- Post added 4th Dec 2012 at 11:34 AM ----------

Just to put it in perspective. The starving inhabitants of Leningrad at the best of times under the German siege had a caloric intake of 400 calories. About 1.5 million of them starved to death eating a quarter to a half of what your eating. They weren't just unhealthy, they literally starved to death.

10. Monmon

Monmon Guest

I think you should ask Davey Wavey, lol!

11. 6ix

6ix

Others have already commented on the amount of calories you are eating so I'll throw my two cents in elsewhere:

If you have made the choice to be a vegetarian or vegan, especially if you are lactose intolerant or have other existing ailments then you should really take the time to learn about your body and the way it reacts to foods that you are able to consume. I suggest learning how to prep your own raw meals. If done correctly they are a great source of nutrients and also very filling with less calories.

Here are a couple of ideas:
    Raw Food Recipes: Lasagne | The Raw Chef - Raw Food Recipes
    Raw Avocado & Lime Soup | The Raw Chef - Raw Food Recipes

Figure out your eating situation first because if you have a poor diet that will negate your effort to gain muscle.

12. runner

what kind of exercises are you doing? There are different combinations of reps and sets that are better for gaining muscle mass, strenth and muscle tone

13. Alexander69

I do cardio for 1H 30 min a day and I lift 20 pound weights I'm so weak that's pretty much what I can lift :frowning2:

14. Ticklish Fish

I lift 10's when I do arms.... and I am 19 lol.

thogh i heard for skinny hard gainers, more meals with a bit more proteins and less on cardio more on weights.. now if i only i can remember where i find those

15. runner

I would keep at it and increase the amount of reps you do if at all possible...once you can increase the amount of reps you do with the 20 lbs, then you should try to increase lbs for the next set but do less reps than you would with the 20 lbs...does this make sense? lol i know it can be a bit confusing

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are not going to gain any muscle at 800 calories a day.

17. Make sure not to overeat either. Also, pretty sure you can still get a good enough amount of proteins even if you're a vegan. Although some plant foods don't have AS much proteins in a single serving as most meats do, some have a good amount of x y or z proteins (x y z being variables, not literally the name of proteins). That said, you need to eat MULTIPLE foods in one meal to get your proper protein and maybe even more proteins.

This can also help you out with eating more calories so you won't die. 800 calories? I go at 2000 a day and it's really not that much whatsoever. Starving yourself=/=healthy or attractive.

18. kem

kem

I'm vegan too. When I eat a lot it makes about 1000-1200 kcal. Some days I eat less and my total is around 700-800 and I don't even feel hungry...

Good vegan protein: tofu and other soy products, beans and legumes, quinoa, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, nuts, hemp, spirulina. Many of these are also calorie-dense so if you find your diet lacking in energy you should try them.

19. wc1

wc1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dont go nuts on the Tofu, it can result in hormone imbalance.

20. BudderMC

Well half of that is because you don't physically have the energy (read: calories) to exert yourself...