1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear of the Dark

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by LightningRider, Dec 5, 2012.

1. LightningRider

My fear of the dark is slowly becoming unmanageable.

It's more I'm afraid of my house when it's dark.
    I'm fine in other people's houses when it's dark, just not mine.
    I don't think I'll ever be able to explain it properly...

And it's not as if I live in a bad area of town or anything like that.
    I'm just absolutely terrified of my house at night.

I decided that it's gotten to a point where it's beyond ridiculous.

It use to be worse.
    Once I couldn't sleep without having a light on, my bedroom light has a dimmer installed by my Dad for this exact reason.
    I would have to sleep on my parents or little brother's bedroom floor if we were having a blackout.

I sleep with a stuffed toy and near squeeze it to death when I hear a bump in the night.
    I can't leave my room unless someone goes with me. On the odd occasion I HAVE to leave my room, I have a torch and turn on every light I can find.
    I can't look in mirrors if it's dark behind me.
    I have a panic attack if it's dark behind or around me and I run for the nearest source of light (usually my room)
    My sleeping patterns have gotten to the point where on my worst nights I can't get to sleep until first light.
    I have music playing all night so that I don't hear noises around the house and as a way that if I wake up, I have something to concentrate on until I fall back asleep.

So I need help.
    I need to know if there is any way I can at least make this manageable again.

2. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I used to have this, and still have it to an extent, but it occurs less frequently and with less severity.

You don't actually have a fear of the dark, you have a fear of large spaces and hostile creatures. It's a natural fear, that animals become scared in large spaces, especially those that are confined. It's a fear to protect the animal and keep it alert, as it cannot keep view of every angle. Same applies with the dark, the animal cannot see so it cannot see potential threats.

These fears are more common in people who have undergone various traumas such as being bullied, as they have more of a reason to have the fear, so it's never unlearned.

I know this sounds cliché, but allowing yourself to be open to the fear is a way to overcome it on your own. Mine gradually got better after sleeping with the light off, going downstairs in the dark, alone to get food etc, and just generally acting as though I have no fear. Eventually, your mind starts to realize that there really is no reason to have the fear, and the fear levels tone down a bit. Definitely avoid horror films and the such while trying to do this.

Sometimes the fear is unbearable, as it's a fear of death. You could always carry an object like a baseball bat or a knife, using it as a crutch to help you embrace the fear. However, I'd advise against this unless you're 100% sure you're alone in the house. There have actually been incidents of this, where the people accidentally attack members of their own family because they thought they were alone.

This really is just a case of mind over matter, seeing a therapist would allow you to get over it quicker, however you can of course do it without help. However, the more you focus on it the worse it becomes. An example of this is quite common when children see things such as horror films and are convinced a demon is after them or the similar, they focus on it constantly so any normal noise present in the house that is USUALLY filtered out by the ears as noise, is heard as something supernatural. While your senses are tuned to be alert, you'll be scared.

Feel free to pm me if you would like some more of my help, would be glad to help with it.

All the best.

3. LightningRider

Thanks.
    Somehow I think if I ever get around to making an appointment with a therapist, this will come up. :slight_smile:

4. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not afraid of the dark...just dislike it.

I leave a string of xmas lights on in my bedroom as a nightlight.

I also got myself a good back-up light that automatically comes on for the rare times we have power failures (LOL its the type of thing you might find in an office building or something...not someone's home)

I can't sleep with the stereo or anything on. Those little 'house sounds' don't bother me too much...

#4 SimplyJay, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  5. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know ways of overcoming this fear other than what Zaio said, but if you want to make it manageable I would say get a night light, and also have a flash light handy next to your bed if you need it.

6. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am scared of the dark too. I sleep without lights on though, just to try and help. I still freak out when I look into darkness though. I can't help, but at least know that fear of darkness is common.

7. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

I have always been afraid of the dark, I never really knew why, until I remembered some past abuse I received at it was when it was dark or at night. So I now understand why I am afraid, but it's still there.:icon_sad:

8. Capichino

Ok I saw this title and I was like OMG other ppl are scared of the dark too I used to be becase my mom watched the 48 hour shows and the murder ones I rember this one but I'm not going to say becase it will give ppl night mares it was FREAKY OMG scarry
    (*hug*)