1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STD Question

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by alwayshope11, Dec 6, 2012.

1. alwayshope11

How long would crabs last without treatment? / can you get any bad diseases like limes disease from them?

2. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I'm pretty sure crabs lasts indefinitely without treatment, as they constantly reproduce. Not sure about the latter, sorry.

All the best.

3. alwayshope11

I was just curious..I don't have them..I'm pretty sure I'd be able to tell if I did haha

4. CatofOld

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yay! Time for a random lesson on genital parasites!

First of all you cannot get Lyme Disease from pubic lice (Pthirus pubis). Lyme disease is a bacterial infection that is only carried by the bite of the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis). So no need to fear that from this innocent pubic parasite.

As far as P.pubis live span you need to know something about their life cycle. Humans are the definitive host for P.pubis and they have no intermediate, meaning that they can complete the entire life cycle using a single host, and do not require transmission for survival (an example of a parasite that does is tape worms).

It starts with the transmission of the female who has already mated or a male and female pair. The happy couple mates and deposits eggs near the shaft of the hear follicle. The egg hatches and the nymphs are born. The nymphs then mature and pair off to lay more eggs of their own. This means that not only can you stay infected pretty much until you die without treatment, but that the number of P.pubis you are carrying will increase until you reach carrying capacity. Carrying capacity is a term to describe the number of organisms that can sustainably live in the area given the limitations of resources. So basically since P.pubis cannot live on the head or body hair, the limitation is you running out of room in your genital hair for the laying of eggs.

Pubic lice our one of man kinds oldest companions and the three distinct species are thought to have evolved as a result of our loss of body hair, but evolution is way beyond the scope of your question and I will only go into that if you are interested.

5. rday13

rday13 Guest

^^excellent medical explanation by CatofOld. Thanks Cat!
    Also, there is no barrier method to protecting yourself from crabs. Skin-to-skin contact with an infected person has the possibility of transmitting a pregnant female or a male and female pair who will multiply and inherit your...pubic region.

6. alwayshope11

How do gay men stay safe when it comes to rubbing genitals..I believe it's called frothing?

7. KaraBulut

Frottage.

8. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Quite simply, they don't. Most people get crabs cured immediately so it's generally safe to assume the other person doesn't have them.

They aren't exactly hard to cure either, and seeing as they are curable it's not as big a deal as the main safety priority of HIV is.

All the best.

9. alwayshope11

Like generally, not just crabs lol

10. alwayshope11

This is more just a general health question… But cannot drinking enough water clause your pee to be yellow and slightly irritating/have a slight burning sensation? And if it clears up after you drink some water or after one time going to the bathroom or so, then I doubt it is an STD?

11. CatofOld

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This sounds like a personal question, and as my disclaimer I would advise you to see your doctor if you think you might have an STD.

Okay now on to your question, yes not dirnking enough water will cause more concentrated urine. When the body senses a rise in the osmolarity (concentration) of the blood it triggers the pituitary gland to produce ADH (Anti-duretic hormone). This hormone causes more aquaporen channels to be embedded into the walls of the collecting tubules, which are part of your kidneys. These channels allow the body to pull more water from the filtrate (your soon to be urine) creating a more yellow and high concentrated urine to be produced. This urine due to being a waste product and much more concentrated is more acidic, but should not burn on the inside, but can sometimes feel a bit irritating to externals skin. Burning (like sharp razor blades coming down) can be a sign of a lot of things the most common among them being an STD or a UTI.

As for using the toilet and it burning one time, I would say most likely not an STD. It could be cause by any number of factors including things in your food (capsicun from peppers passes into the urine and can do this if you are eating just huge amounts) or something like a sore on the outside of the gentalia.

So in recap:
    1) Use protection every time and go get tested if you haven't
    2) Yes the body concentrates urine when you are dehydrated
    3) 1 time of burning that clears on its own is kind of unlikely to be of infectious origin.

#11 CatofOld, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  12. alwayshope11

Also..if I got tested for HIV at exactly 3 and 6 months after I kissed a guy with it, do I need to get tested again?

13. Zaio

Zaio Guest

If you wish to calm your conscience then yes, but otherwise I'll say that the definite answer would have been discovered in those 2 tests. Kissing a guy with HIV has basically 0% risk as long as you have no open sores or cuts in your mouth. Even if you do, the HIV concentration in saliva is either none at all or very very little, to the point it's unlikely to get it even if you have cuts.

All the best.

14. alwayshope11

But how many tests would calm my conscious Is the real question haha isn't it that u just need to wait three months??

15. Zaio

Zaio Guest

There are tests that can detect it in weeks. Generally each test is extremely accurate, each one is bound to give you the correct answer, 2 has a ridiculously low chance to give you a false reading. If you're really worried I'd go get 1 more then leave it at that. I'm sure you're fine though.

All the best.

16. alwayshope11

Thanks! So six months is pretty much an accurate test then?

17. KaraBulut

These days, the test at 4 weeks is >97% accurate.

18. alwayshope11

Thanks Kara. Is it normal to have little bumps of skin in the area between your testicles and butt?

19. starfish

Ok I'm half joking with this, but have you been reading WebMD?

20. alwayshope11

Lol cuz I think these nutty things?!