1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoying throbbing in my ear!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Austin, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just wondering if this is normal or if anyone has any idea what this may be...

I've really only noticed it recently... lately my ear throbs with every quick "pulse" of noise. For example, when pressing the keys to type, if they are loud enough, each noise will make my ear pulsate almost like a heartbeat. Especially because the space key on my laptop is semi-broken and its really loud to push! Every noise is a like one pulse in my ear, and it almost makes me feel a little dizzy with that pulse. I don't really notice it talking with people... seems I only notice it when I'm like typing, hit a metal spoon on a glass, set or drop my pen on a table. Only my left ear btw.

I read about hyperacusis, which is depressing, so please tell me is something else, thanks :grin:

2. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I have the same problem. I dont know what it is though. But I agree that it is very annoying. I've just had to learn to live with it!

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hey Austin,

I remember you making a post on here not too long ago which appeared as though you had the flu,

It's quite probable that what you're experiencing is a form of ear infection or fluid buildup. It's actually very common when the flu occurs.

This could also be tinnitus, as people generally notice it a lot more in the early stages, but I'm more inclined to believe it's the whole flu aftermath thing.

EDIT: It could also be something to do with ear pressure... Close your mouth and hold your nose and exhale, you should feel a force in the back of your ears. By opening the eardrums it allows the air pressure to change, however, during something such as an ear infection, usually there will just be pain and no change in air pressure, as the eardrum is inflamed with fluid buildup behind it.

All the best.

#3 Zaio, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
  4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm so plug my nose and mouth and exhale? How do I do that?

When I try to exhale with my nose and mouth closed I feel pressure in that ear (of course), but only that ear, hmm.

Other interesting things:

Breathing in, especially from my nose, it almost feels like air is kinda running past my left ear inside, such as when you close your nose and mouth and suck in. Also, lately it's become plugged up when I work out, which used to happen when I exerted myself more, which is what I think I've been doing lately... Thought it was cuz I was too tense. Don't notice the air with my right ear when breathing in and I think the plugging is less....

The flu was so long ago tho! But hopefully that's it, lol

5. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Yeah, all you do is plug your nose, close your mouth and exhale through your nose. Don't do it too hard though, as you can rupture a blood vessel in the eye resulting in blood colouring your eye for a little while (it's usually harmless, but looks funny lol). There's no way you're only feeling pressure on one of your ears, it sounds to me like there is instead fluid buildup. The pressure on the ear with fluid will feel MUCH greater so you just simply won't notice the other one. From what you have described it definitely sounds like fluid to me.

I would very strongly recommend going to the doctor and having him/her check you, telling him/her the details you've told us on EC. Fluid can get infected incredibly easy... An ear infection lasts weeks and if untreated can quite commonly rupture your eardrums, which then takes a few months to heal.

In other words, you've got a choice between risking it and hoping it doesn't get infected (supposing it is actually fluid), or getting some anti-biotics and potentially save yourselves a few months of a faulty ear.

I can tell you from experience a ruptured eardrum is worse than taking the time to go to the GP.

All the best.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It kinda makes me dizzy when I do that :confused:

7. AaronMed

Sounds to me like you've got some fluid in your ear. If you turn your head quickly so that your affected ear faces the ground, do you hear a whooshing sound?

Also, how long has this been going on? If it's only been a couple days, the first thing I'd suggest is to use Murine in the affected ear and then syringe it out with warm water - follow the instructions in the insert. If that doesn't work, you'll need to see your doctor - he or she can remove it easily for you.

8. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hmm I can't quite say I've ever experienced that, it's probably something like hypotension, I often get dizzy when I experienced orthostatic hypotension (momentary vision loss as a result of blood pressure being lowered when standing up). If it didn't feel dizzy until you've got this problem with your ear, then you definitely need to get checked out, as I can't say I've heard of dizziness being associated with ear problems.

Feel free to send me a private message, but I think the only thing you can do in a case like this is get your ear examined for fluid/infection.

I will add this though: sometimes the throat and the ear can feel sore as they share the same sort of system, what I mean by this, is that if the ear is sore, the throat can feel sore, and vice versa.

So, it could actually be a problem with your throat, but from what you've described I'm still going to go with fluid buildup.

All the best.

9. AaronMed

I would agree with Zaio. However, orthostatic hypotension is exceedingly uncommon in people under 40, so I think the best bet is fluid. If the fluid has been there for a while, it has a pretty high likelihood that it's infected, in which case you'll probably get amoxicillin. Or if you're allergic to penicillin, perhaps some zithromax. In any of these cases, though, you'll need to see your doctor :slight_smile:

10. SomeNights

If I were you I'd go see an otolaryngologist a.k.a. and Ear Nose and Throat(ENT) doctor. Of course I"m crazy about my ears...if they are the slightest bit off I'm going in

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys I will go in to see the doctor after my finals end next week. :slight_smile:

12. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hmm, is it? I don't actually have low blood pressure yet I experience it occasionally, almost all my friends say the same too. Are you sure you're not confusing it with orthostatic hypertension? Either that or me and my friends like to defy the odds, lol.

Good to hear, get to the GP ASAP if your ear starts getting inflamed though. You'd be surprised how quickly the eardrum can burst if antibiotics aren't acquired fast.

All the best.

13. SomeNights

He ain't liein`. I got on a plane without even realizing i had an ear infection.....long story short 4 weeks of antibiotics and various pain killers

14. KaraBulut

Since I do want to make sure that accurate information is provided on the forum, orthostatic hypotension is quite common- both in children and teenagers.

Children are very sensitive to dehydration. Outside western countries, diarrhea in children is one of the leading causes of death because young children are unable to compensate for fluid loss. Orthostatic hypotension is the one of the tell-tale signs of dehydration in children.

In teenagers, orthostatic hypotension can be a symptom of dehydration- from fever or from overexertion. However, there is an odd syndrome that we don't quite understand where otherwise healthy teenagers can have a drop in blood pressure when going from sitting to standing or from lying down to standing. It seems to improve as they get older but quite a few teenagers do report occasional episodes of near-blackout or dizziness when standing too quickly.

15. Jonathan

Not to hijack the thread, but by the bolded part would some of the characteristics of that be when the person stands up their vision blurs and their balance gets iffy for a few seconds?

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If anything, I've had hypertension on and off from anxiety. I haven't been checked for a while. I doubt I have low blood pressure now all of the sudden.

Unrelated but I do get the dizzy vision goes black when I stand up on occasion. Always thought it's normal. Goes away after a few seconds.

17. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I think that's more to do with the plane. While the ear infection would of helped cause it perhaps in a minor way, you would know if it was inflamed and blocking the eardrum. I was referring to the ear infection causing it alone. If your ear starts getting inflamed then you'll know, the dull pain can be quite intense at times. In very rare situations, the eardrum can burst in a matter of minutes, depending on how inflamed the eardrum gets and how infected and great the fluid buildup is. If the eardrum were to burst, it would probably (an estimate) take a couple days to a week.

Thanks for the clarification Kara :slight_smile: I thought it seemed odd that it was rare in people under 40.

Yes, blood pressure is lost and so less blood goes to the brain and eyes, resulting in the usual senses being slightly off and vision either becoming blurry, or sometimes momentarily blinding people. In rare cases, the person will actually pass out.

That's orthostatic hypotension, as is being discussed in this thread (lol thread hijacking ftw).

#17 Zaio, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
  18. KaraBulut

Most of the time, people report feeling light-headed, weak and they may have visual changes- stars, flashes of light, near-blackout.

It's caused when blood is drawn by gravity from the upper body toward the legs. It's not an abnormal finding- to a certain extent, it happens to everyone. The difference is that for some reason, teenagers seem to have more trouble compensating, so they're more likely to have a sustained drop in blood pressure along with feeling faint or in extreme cases, passing out.

P.S. Apologies to OP for the hijack.

19. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I felt like I'd update cuz I FINALLY went to the doctor. She said I had some kinda (clear) fluid buildup around my eardrum or Eustachian tube or something that may be making it sensitive so she prescribed a nasal spray and told me to take Claritin D so hopefully that fixes it. It didnt sound too bad... but It's so annoying lol. :grin: thanks for the responses! :slight_smile: