1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Healing injuries/scabbing/mucus?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BudderMC, Dec 19, 2012.

1. BudderMC

Trust me, the title is all related. <_<

I somehow hurt myself on my nose a couple of days ago, might've been a cut of some sort. Anyways, there was an injury on the edge of my nostril, covering about half of the outer ring of the left nostril (if that makes sense). Usually with things like that I'll just let them heal up and scab over and it sorts itself out.

Now, the thing is since it's so close/partially in the inside of my nose, I've got mucus covering it as well. Doesn't help any that I'm also sick and blowing my nose fairly often.

What seems to be happening now is I'm getting a combination of scabbing and that dried muscusy stuff all over the area. It's painful in the same way really chapped lips are painful and also bordering on blocking my nostril completely, so I keep having to clear it out by picking at it so I can breathe.

So I guess what I want to know is if anyone has any ideas on what I can do to make this go better? I can't exactly bandage my nose and I can't stop picking the scab, so it's not healing... this whole thing isn't just annoying, but it's actually painful. I've also tried using some Polysporin on it to help it heal, but I find it just comes off soon after I have to blow/wipe my nose again.

2. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I would strongly advise getting some antiseptic cream for your nose, then using the same type of paste used in mole removal surgery (unfortunately I've forgotten it's name), it basically covers the area like a plaster and prevents any further bacteria entering the area.

I can almost guarantee to you now that your injury is swarming with bacteria, you'd be surprised how easily things get infected purely due to the bacteria under the fingernails.

If you are unable to obtain the paste, then keep using antiseptic cream on it and whatever you do, DON'T pick at it. Mucus will have some bacteria in it however, as the nose is a rather filthy place, so keep using antiseptic cream daily. If you can't breathe through your nose, don't. This won't heal any faster if you pick at it just to breathe nasally.

If you have none, or are unable to obtain any antiseptic cream, then you can just use alcohol, which at the age of 21 I'm assuming you probably have, or can at least buy easily. The stronger the alcohol content, the better it is for sterility, some Smirnoff vodka will do the trick though. Just rub it around the area, it will probably sting a bit, but it'll kill the bacteria.

All the best.

3. KaraBulut

I'm sorry that this cold has persisted.

Usually a saline rinse followed by application of moisturizing lotion (Eucerin, Cetaphil) with a Q-Tip will help moisturize the nose and provides a bit of a moisture barrier to stop some of the irritation and chapping. If you prefer, you can use mineral oil or petroleum jelly. Moisturizing also helps with mucus buildup by preventing it from adhering to the membranes in the nose.

When you blow your nose, it will wipe off most of the surface layer that you've applied but there is a portion that still remains. Just reapply periodically. It also helps if you use the more expensive tissues that have lotion in them; the cheaper tissues really can rub your nose raw.

Since you're pretty far north, the air is probably very dry. Sleeping with a misting vaporizer at night will help.