1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by LEZmis4, Dec 20, 2012.

1. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My level of anxiety is really high tonight.

I have my own techniques (as well as medication) to deal with this...but what do you do when you get anxious/nervous? I just need to calm down...and I'm not into the medicine tonight (it helps, but it makes me spacey the next day).

2. kylo

I usually just take a walk, or listen to music. Those seem to be the most helpful for me. I'm also on medication for it ( Prozac ) and find that it has helped me a lot, but I still have my moments. Good luck and just try and find something new that works for you, experiment if you have to.

3. ORly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I drive. I just cruise the back roads listening/singing really loudly to music. If I can't do that I put in some headphones (more to bock out noise than anything) and write in a paper journal. It's like a forced slow down having to write by hand.

4. Parzival

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Green tea+watching disney movies :3

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was going to say something else, but you know what? His suggestion sounds divine.

6. Nyanko

I watch cute cat videos on Youtube, they help me forget literally everything.

7. ameliawesome

i kinda just yell at myself, haha. "you don't want to feel this way, so stop it. calm down." if i can go somewhere else then that helps, too. even just walking my dog can help a ton.

8. Tombgeek

Tombgeek Guest

Well, I suffer from anxiety and right now I'm trying to find alternative ways to relax myself other than using meds. I'm taking up meditation soon and sometimes, if I'm anxious or depressed, I'll try watching PewDiePie videos on YouTube -- his humour tends to make me a bit more calm and relaxed.

9. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

I take a nap, try meditation, focus on my breathing

10. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Definitely headphones. Headphones and I carry a water bottle with me at all times.

A lot of my triggers are sounds, I kind of have a phobia of certain sounds so everywhere I go I carry headphones and if my anxiety gets bad I put them in, turn up the music, take a sip of water so my throat isnt dry, and try to feel my breathing and feel "grounded" (feel my feet on the floor).

11. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My therapist has talked about feeling grounded. It's hard for me, but it does help. I tend to make fists with my hands...so much so that my nails cut into my palms...but that helps snap me back to reality. I HATE when I get so out of touch that I start diconnecting and everything around me feels fake...it's very disturbing.

12. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I just rest, take a nap or something. I've had to deal with bad anxiety in school, and even then, I'd sleep or rest just to not work myself up. For me though, when I feel like I'm getting bad anxiety, I'll start pacing or walking around, I don't know why it helps, but it does.

13. GayJay

im really weird with this, i take a hot shower with a cup of tea and a pack of walkers salt and vinagar crisps, go on my punchbag for a while then do the shower thing again, followed by music and a ciggy.
    such a strange routine, but works so well for me.

14. Wndy

Wndy Guest

I haven't had problems with anxiety in a while, but...

When I had serious anxiety I found that listening to audio books could help distract me. And since my anxiety happened at night I wound up sleeping on my parent's floor (when I was 18 years old)...but that wasn't a very fun solution. :icon_sad: I eventually went on Prozac, which someone else has mentioned. It worked wonders.

15. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    A punching bag would be good tonight. I feel extremely disconnected from everything, and to be able to just throw some punches would be wonderful.

16. MixedNutz

Music and walks always help me...

Or a cocktail haha

17. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Yes, I do the same... I'm not on medication for any of my issues though- my parents are against that sort of thing... :bang: Though at times I'm sure some would definitely help...

18. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    :frowning2: That's hard...my medication, although not working ideally, takes the edge off and makes it so I can at least breathe.

---------- Post added 1st Jan 2013 at 06:30 PM ----------

Hahaha...a cocktail works well; I agree. :slight_smile: Although, now that I've taken my medicine for the night, no drinking. Darn it!

---------- Post added 1st Jan 2013 at 06:57 PM ----------

I've been doing this this week. My therapist has asked me to write about an incident that happened a few years ago. I decided to hand write it rather than type it; it's making me really think through what I think, what I did, and how it influenced me. It's been a great exercise. Although, it is taking forever! lol