1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ear Wax

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BoiGeorge, Dec 21, 2012.

1. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Hey does anyone have any good hints on removing ear wax? My ear is blocked and its so annoying!! Thanks

2. Jim

Jim

Don't use cotton buds! It just sticks the wax in further. I have really small ear canals so I often get blocked ears. I went to the doctor's and they suggested putting olive oil in your ears and laying on your side (so it doesn't pour out). It's a bit uncomfortable, but it does work eventually.

Alternatively you can get stuff from the chemist that looks like eye drops, but it goes in your ears, and softens the wax so it comes out, the same as olive oil, but it's generally quicker.

3. KaraBulut

Most of kits have a peroxide and oil drops that loosen the wax and make it float to the outer canal where it can be removed by turning your head to the side and letting gravity remove it.

An interesting factoid- there's a genetic factor that determines whether a person has a wet, moist earwax or whether they have a harder, drier earwax. If you're someone who has the hard, dry form of earwax, you may need to have your doctor remove it for you so that it doesn't get packed in further.

4. caramba2654

Hm.. My dad usually removes his with a syringe... It works for him :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. SomeNights

see edit

#5 SomeNights, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  6. Capichino

Ya I hate it when u have so much ear wax in ur ear and then I say what and my mom gets mad at me

7. Zontar

Don't do this.

If your earwax doesn't respond to OTC treatments, it's probably impacted. Ask your doctor to remove it with a curette. Warning: I remember it hurting like hell when I had the same thing done at age eleven.

8. Jim

Jim

The doctor's offered to remove mine (the way they do it is by blasting water into your ear to dislodge it and remove it) but I said no. I used "earex" ear drops and it worked for me!