1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transguy Periods

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BoiGeorge, Dec 27, 2012.

1. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

For every other week of the month I'm a boy, but when that bloody period comes it just confirms that I'm a girl. The female of my species. Expected to birth children and be a mother. A wife. A woman. How do other transdudes deal with this?! Periods are so emasculating!! :frowning2:

2. Yamato

I take birth control tablets. You are meant to take three weeks and then stop and you have a period and then take three more weeks. If you just take them continuously you don't have a period (unless you get a cold, flu etc, for some reason that effects it). It annoyed me at first that I was taking female hormones but it does the job without loads of hassle

3. Ashton

There's a pill called cerozette or 'mini-pill' that you don't have a break on and it stops them completely. I was on that for about 6 months but when I moved cities I couldn't get hold of it. Boo! Periods do suck though D:

4. Jim

Jim

I have very irregular periods, mainly because I've had issues with my weight. I hope that I've been thin enough for long enough that I just won't ever have them, but I'm getting to be normal weight so they might start up again D: I hate them so much, though I don't think my mum would let me go on the pill *sigh*

5. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's interesting how things can be so... ironical.

I think I understand what a nuissance a period can be. When I was on high school, my group of friends consisted on 5 girls. They always liked to tease me talking about their periods, as it was a talk in wich I couldn't participate. But it gave me a fairly good understanding on things.

What I mean is, I know why you don't want to have periods, both as a born woman and as transmen.

But, you know?, the interesting part is that I would give my right hand if I could experience it. I would like to have a period, even knowing how hurtful it may be with the wrong conditions (a friend of mine may pass away if she doesn't take her pills when having her period).

I know I'm a girl, but I also know that my body will never agree with me. I have cried countless nights just with the thought that I will never experience the joy of giving life to a baby, and I curse my body because of that. Like it or not, a period is a fundamental part on the private life of any woman, a part I will never fully understand, wich makes me sad.... so sad.

I'm sorry I derailed the topic a bit, but just reading it made me remember all these feelings, and I just wanted to let them out.

6. Lewis

A friend of mine (for the purpose of birth control) had something in that she refers to as 'the rod', she literally doesn't have any periods whatsoever. She had it removed and hasn't had a period for 2 years, which is apparently normal.

You can go to your closest health centre and ask about it.

7. Jim

Jim

I know someone who had that because she had such painful periods she used to vomit etc. But I'm not sure if I can get it at 17? Idk.

8. MidnightOwl

All though I'm not transgender in a traditional sense, I view myself as both genders. I wish my body was equally agreeable in that aspect. I don't really care for periods, however, the bonus is that I don't have them for very long. Just very annoying and very...how do I put it....I'm not sure the phrasing. But it's not attractive trait for androgyny.

9. GayJay

the preferable age in the UK is 16 you can get it younger but at 16 you can legally have sex so doctors are okay with it. your 17 so if you just go your gp they'll give you.

my doctor refused me cause os smoking and family medical history. so i just have suck ass periods until i start T.

10. Salazar

Well, go see your doctor, and maybe they can offer you some drugs? The implantation of a progesterone IUD will reduce the intensity of a period or completely prevent them over a five year period.

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2012 at 05:00 PM ----------

I'm not an expert on the vagina by any stretch of the imagination, infact I rather try to avoid them! I do, however, know that if you sticking to a weight where your body decides not to undergo a natural process, you are not healthy! It's seriously not a good idea to override your body by being underweight.

Living in the UK, we have the NHS. If you feel confident enough, just go to your GP and ask for whatever pill it was you mentioned. The NHS, I am fairly sure, covers 'transness' and, assuming you are still in full time education, will cover the costs. Being 17, you do not need parental consent for any treatment, and the GP has no right to tell your parents anything.This would, of course, mean you would have to come out as trans, otherwise people might wonder why you are beginning to look more masculine.

If you're not ready to change, you could consider the implantation of an intrauterine device containing progesterone, which, over a period of approx. 5 years, will reduce period duration and intensity, if not prevent periods completely.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

#10 Salazar, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  11. mothcaterpillar

I dont cope at all
    I want to throw up fir the whole 3 days n I dont get much pain from it but I want to take a knife to my abdomen
    Ive tried removing iron from my diet n not weighing more than 35kg but it hasn't been successful I almost told my mum about being ftm last time so she could help me make it go away but I didnt
    Take my womb if you really want to knw (i did out of curiosity before I ad em) I wish I could have a hysterectomy right now n stop being an alien once a month

12. PurpleCrab

Hum, I got in great shape?

Exercising a lot and having very low body fat sometimes leads to a state of athleticism that completely cuts of women's (and transmen's) cycle, leading to having no period at all.

That's what happened to me for most of my life.

I actually had to change this in order to carry my kids.

13. Julian

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    BoiGeorge,

You mentioned society's expectations for what being a girl means. Yeah, sure our society deals out a ton of pressure on women and those socialized female to have children, etc. And the messages that women get in the media are simply oppressive. But bearing children isn't something inherently feminine or masculine. It's just a thing. That happens. Loads of other species have the male carry or tend to the developing offspring. Think penguins. Reproduction is kind of an arbitrary outcome of evolution. We could just as easily have been like lions and have super-fancy long-haired males who sit at home all day waiting impatiently for sex, while the sleeker, more combat-ready looking females go off and do girly things like hunt and kill beasts.

So I guess... periods don't really bother me that much. No-one but me knows I'm having it, although it's kind of weird and gross, and I certainly won't miss them, but what made me more dysphoric was taking female hormones to stop them.
    If I could have a slightly deeper voice, the ability to build muscle, a little male-pattern baldness, and a constant sex drive, I'd rather deal with bleeding every month if it still means I can reproduce than have extra progesterone floating around in the system making me feel all soft and preggo and cray. Just my experience. But depo-provera made me feel super weird and gave me all these nurturing feelings towards babies.. gah.

Also, pregnant men. And one day they'll have a procedure that can turn eggs into sperm and then I'll probably have to figure out how to pay child support.

But your health is most important. Please don't starve yourself down to a weight that stops you menstruating. Starvation can shut down other organs, too, ones that you will need if you decide to go on T in the future, or, I don't know, live past 30.

14. RainbowBright

Even if your doctor does not approve of prescribing you continuous birth control (which an LGBT-friendly doctor might because they will understand that it may be a matter of life or death for some people [you can call your local LGBT Center for doctor suggestions], there are still lots of birth control options that lessen periods to 4 or fewer periods per year, which are approved for the general population. They are very popular, and you can convince your mom that your periods are painful, irregular, too heavy, whatever to go to a gynecologist (you should around this age anyway), and then discuss in private with the doctor your desire to have as few periods as possible. If the doctor prescribes it and you tell your mom it is for lighter periods or something, she should be fine with it.

If it is absolutely impossible to get her to go along with it, you only have one more year before you can make your own health decisions without her approval. You can do it next year with a college doctor or at a clinic.

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2013 at 06:46 PM ----------

This IS part of a being a woman. Countless women do not get a period due to health issues, and/or cannot get pregnant/carry children. That does not make you less of a woman. I don't get a period because I have to be on continuous birth control for a medical condition, and due to some hormonal and structural problems I have been told I will never be able to have children. Maybe that is true, maybe it's not, we'll see where medical technology takes us when I am ready - but regardless, I was born into a female body and am a woman, and my inability to do these things is actually fairly common and does not change that I am female. Nearly every single one of my female friends seems unable to have a baby for one reason or another, and they are still female, even if they grieve about it, like you.

So welcome to the club!

15. DoriaN

afaik HRT with testosterone will end your periods after a month or so. My transmale friend irl told me from experience.

16. Jim

Jim

I know that. I'm not underweight by choice, it's a mixture of lots of problems that I'm having therapy for. I don't think I'd be able to go to the GP alone though, my anxiety would be too bad..

17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try to ignore it, though it worsens my depression that I'm trying to overcome. I'm going to try and get in touch with a family gyno soon to see if there's anything I can do to lessen the problem or stop it all together since I won't be on the T road for quite a while.