1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aspergers

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by aspiecarer, Dec 30, 2012.

1. aspiecarer

Hello
    anyone else has a partner who has Aspergers?
    If so ,how do you deal with it?

2. isobella

I have Asperger's.
    My story and struggle is far too extensive and complex to share in this quick reply.
    It's hard.

3. Jim

Jim

I have ASD, though I can't get help for it because my mum doesn't believe I have it, so she lied on the step one test.

4. isobella

That's awful. She's likely in denial, or wants to continue to believe you're perfectly 'normal'.
    I'm sorry to hear this.
    Don't worry- my mom's not supportive of mine either.

5. Jim

Jim

Yeah that pretty much sums my mum up. It's the same about my gender too *sigh*

It just pisses me off because I was SO close to being properly diagnosed...

6. Rivers

I have Asperger's. My father has Asperger's. My grandfather has Asperger's. It runs in the family. I've always had a lack of social skills and difficulty communicating with other people.

It really can be tough being an Aspie.

7. Cthulhu

I have Asperger's (or high-functioning autism, if one goes by the DSM-V edition of the APA manual). It was tough trying to fit in growing up, but I had years of therapy (both speech and social) as well as self-teaching that helped me improve my deficiencies to the point where most people I know actually act surprised when I tell them I have Asperger's.

I also have an uncle who has it, and he's still together with his wife of more than 40 years to this day. So, it depends on the personality of the person, as well as the severity of the condition, but from what I can tell it does take some patience. For example, people with Asperger's like to talk about subjects related to their narrow interests, which may not be what everyone is interested in.

Overall, however, once you get to know the person well, then you should, for the most part, be fine.

#7 Cthulhu, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  8. Rae

Rae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm a little opposite of some of the people above, my family thinks i have aspergers, and i don't. Most of my friends doesn't think that either... But there is a small chance of ocd instead...

9. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most people with Asperger's "grow out of it" as they get older, they learn through trial and error how to navigate the social mess of everyday life, although not everyone does.

I think the best thing to do would be to recognize what aspects of life are difficult for them and try to help them (as a friend, not a parent or psychologist figure) overcome their problems. I know that for me it was a big help when people would answer questions that I had about the social rules that everyone else takes for granted. The biggest thing you could do to help, if you think that it won't upset them, is to ask them outright what they are having trouble with and how you can help.

Also, try to avoid beating around the bush when it comes to communication, try to be straight-forward and not use too many subtle gestures.

Hope this helps. :icon_bigg

10. aspiecarer

Thanks guys for the advise.
    Yeah, we both read a lot about Asperger's and already taking on board what you have said on here..so as 'setting boundaries when it comes to talking about special interests..
    It's when we are out ..as in going out..and other people might be a surprised at how my partner 're-acts' to social situations...the 'interpretations' may have to be made..

11. Jim

Jim

I've more or less learnt my way around most social situations. Though strangely, I was less aspie when I was younger than now. I still find it impossible to empathise or sympathise, so I mainly pretend. I can't really judge social cues, understand flirting, or body language, so I often go too far with jokes, or think people are arguing with me when they're not meaning too etc. Annoyingly, I've become so good at pretending, my mum doesn't think I have autism at all, even though I'm 100% sure I do.
    I also have problems in other areas, like being sensitive to sound and smells, not liking people touching me, especially when nervous. I don't like people to look at me if I don't know them either, and I find hugs awkward unless I instigate them. I'm also weird with food too. And being in a room with lots of people can make me have a panic attack, though my anxiety meds have helped a lot with that.

12. Silverbells000

Overtime I've figured out things about social situations...most of the time I'm still pretty clueless so sometimes my friends laugh at me but it's never in a mean way, they like that I'm so quirky. Sometimes I think being an aspie makes me more friends than if I was neurotypical haha

13. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Search google "benefits of Aspergers" it is not all negative.

Stuck