1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fish capsules and regular fish

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Chickzak, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Chickzak

So I'm getting into the habit of having a fish oil capsule every evening but wondered would I be consuming too much fish oil if I had a salmon fish at lunch too?

I'm not sure if there's an absolute obvious answer.. but thought it might be worth posting and finding out.

A breakdown of the fish/capsule:

(Wild salmon fillet)
    Each 86g of fillet provides:
    Omega 3= 0.7g

(Omega 3 fish oil)
    Each capsule provides:
    Omega fish oil= 1000mg
    Total omega= 200mg
    EPA/DHA= 260mg

What do you think?
    Note: I dont always have the fillet for every lunch. I have it from time to time (varying between 3-5 times a week)
    Thanks everyone =)

2. Wndy

Wndy Guest

I have no idea. My doctor recently told me to take fish oil, and then told me to eat fish. Sort of one or the other. I've sort of been doing both though...

3. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

I'd like to add, fish is not the only source of omega-3. Fatty acids are also found in my beans, nuts, seeds, and spinach for example.

4. 6ix

6ix

The recommended amount for the average person is 1000mg of omega-3. Keep in mind that omega fish oil is not the same as omega-3; most capsules are around 70% fish oil and 30% omega-3 which means you are getting around 300mg per capsule, or 200 in your case, and the rest is mainly unhealthy excess fat complexes. More concentrated brands have anywhere from 60-80+ percent which is healthier given that there is less waste. Purchasing a higher quality brand is worth it in the long run.

So to answer your question- you'll be fine eating fish for lunch. That puts you right around 1000mg, but you also have to take into account that cheaper fish oil brands are not always very bioavailable so you may end up sitting around 700-800mg which is still fine. Walnuts and other raw nuts are a great source of omega-3s and I would suggest eating them on the days where you eat fish to add a bit of variation to your diet, but overall (even if you did this and took a fish oil capsule) you really have nothing to worry about. Personally I just think it's better to get your nutrients from natural sources if that is a possibility, and nuts don't have unnecessary and usually unhealthy byproducts like processed supplements generally do.

5. Chickzak

Thanks for all your comments everyone.

6ix: "Personally I just think it's better to get your nutrients from natural sources if that is a possibility, and nuts don't have unnecessary and usually unhealthy byproducts like processed supplements generally do." I do agree with you, buts its easier to take a capsule in the evening to be completely honest. At least then, I stick to my basic diet of eating the minimum amount of calories I need in a day but still have the good fish oils too.

Anyone else have any thoughts of the question; any input is always valued =)