1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migraine help

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zaio, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hi EC,

I recently got a bad migraine due to (presumably) getting very drunk 3 days in a row. It was just a pounding, throbbing headache that kept me in bed for about 2 days, accompanied by hot/cold flashes and then fatigue up until now.

I feel fine now, only a very LIGHT headache, with pain when panning to the sides of my eyeball without moving my head.

Tomorrow, I am going to a New Years eve party where I intend to get pretty buzzed, but I am unsure of how alcohol can interact with migraines.

So my question is, can alcohol or weed make migraines worse? Or prolong them? Any things to be aware of? Any excessively dangerous things to know about?

All the best.

2. shy

shy

Hi Zaio,

Your migraine may have been caused by 3 days alcohol excess. You may have heard that alcohol is a neurotoxine as well as a painkiller (sort of). These storys are true. This migraine is better known as a hangover.
    When alcohol is decomposed (to acetaldehyde), potassium and provitamine A are used to get rid of 90% of your alcohol. The lack of provitamine A will cause light sensitivity (it's needed for seeing in your light-receptors on the retina)... 3 days of drinking may therefore affect your eyes pretty much.

As to making it worse:
    1) in the first hours you should be relieved of your pain...
    2) which will inevitably return even worse when you're back sober again.

get better soon

3. VyreRain

Hey a little drinking tip for you when your drinking a lot of alcohol you need to also be drinking water your migranes may be caused by dehydration. Hope my advice helps also dont drink and drive.

4. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hey guys, thanks for the replies but it's already been and went. I did end up drinking a lot and it was fine, it didn't affect my migraine at all.

Thanks for the info shy but it wasn't a hangover, I drink pretty often and rarely get hangovers, but the ones I do get were nothing compared to how bad that migraine was at its peak. In fact, I still have some of the migraine features now, although the headache pain passed a few days ago.

I do generally drink quite a lot of water VyreRain, that's why I tend to not get hangovers. Thanks anyway.

All the best.

5. VyreRain

Did the head ache/ migrane make your eyes hurt and pulsate with pain?

6. Zaio

Zaio Guest

No, it was literally just a throbbing headache and hot/cold flashes that made me have to sleep for about 48 hours straight, as well as light sensitivity and pain when looking to the corners of my eyes (I.E looking as far down/up/to the sides as I can with my eye) and then fatigue afterwards. It's all fine now though.

All the best.

7. VyreRain

Oh thank goodness just making sure you don't have w/e I have lol ..... ive bad migranes for a week now ... pulsating pain.....well ggood luck and unavenged a good day

---------- Post added 4th Jan 2013 at 11:52 AM ----------

....autocreorect sux