1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips to doing well in college/university?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by teluphone, Dec 30, 2012.

1. teluphone

Just received my exam results back and i find that majority of my grades are like B, B+ and only 1 A- which is rather bad in my opinion. Somewhat depressed atm seeing as ive been trying to aim for at least one A in my university life. Does anyone have any tips they can share on how to get better grades in University? i feel like i'm doing something wrong with my studying methods but just can't see what it is i'm doing wrong

2. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I don't know if this works for everyone, but it works for me in school. Pay attention in your classes, throughout the class find ways to shorten the things you learn so that you remember them later on. Then, when it comes time to study, don't overload yourself with things to remember, if you have time, go over a few things a day, if you don't have a lot of time, just refresh your mind. I find that when I study too much, I end up doing really bad, but when I just reread notes, or quickly look over everything, I do a lot better. I know it also helps me when I have notes because I have a somewhat photographic memory, so when I read over notes one or two times, I'll remember most of it, and can always refer back to it in my head. I don't know if in college things work exactly the same, since I'm not in college, but I'm sure in general, doing things like that could probably help.

3. Suffocation

Study study study.

And give up sleeping permanently.

4. teluphone

thanks NicoleV96. I scored a lot of As and Bs during my high school years applying those very techniques but its just that once i reached university, i noticed there is a relatively hig influx of chinese scholars studying the same engineering course as me meaning it is very competitive compared to my earlier years and i'm also taking electrical engineering which is considered by many others in my college to be relatively more difficult compared to other engineering courses.

5. So as the first college student to reply here, I recommend a mix of what NicoleV96 said, in that pay attention in class. And I mean really pay attention, taking in what the professor says and understanding it. As I've found out, falling asleep or simply sitting in class won't do anything.

Here are some things that I have found out along the way in my experience
    • Reading the textbook is NOT always absolutely necessary
    • Reviewing methodically each and every day is NOT absolutely necssary
    • Forming study groups is NOT absolutely necessary

Instead, I've found that understanding what you're learning in the first pass is what is really important. Do not say "Eh, I'll review this later, so I'll just take a nap during class--it'll be okay." Once you get off track, course material will move quickly and you'll be left behind, and there'll be a lack of continuity because you missed out on previous material.

Reading textbooks for the class can be good for background before the lecture, or a review after the lecture. Textbooks in my experience are supplemental material, and what the professor tests you on exams is what is emphasized in class, so study the lecture more than the textbook.

I did not have to review class notes each and every day, although it may be helpful depending on your study habits and what works for you. For me, I was able to earn A, A, A, A- grades most recently without having to do any of this, so it's possible if you make the connections and really SEE what you are studying. Like really understand what's going on, and not just read something and say "Uh huh, uh huh," but asking yourself, "Exactly, that's what I expected, but what if this instead of that. Quiz yourself and test your understanding. Also, I didn't make no study groups or any of that cray cray "techniques."

Competition's always going to be there. At the Southern Branch of the University of California, the majority of the scholars are Asian (maybe Chinese as well?), and I'm studying a discipline that often gets met with comments like "Wow, I could never do that; I heard that's really tough." So anything's possible. Just work hard and don't let your mind drift for a second on the prize.

By the way, Jonathan (teluphone), your profile and avatar and general character really reminds me of someone I know... Like really reminds me of someone...

#5 phospholipase, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  6. teluphone

Thanks Kenny. My friends do kind of judge me for not hanging out with them since they already are a study group and it super tempting to skip lectures since a majority of my classmates skip lectures and watch the online recording instead

7. pandaboy2000

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello,

As I'm not really a bright student, all I can share is "be calm, be cool and be confident" during exams. It helps a lot also.

I notice that you are living in Singapore - in which it's just 400kms away from where I live. Singapore's a very good place for education and the syllabus is very, very demanding. I hope you can score well there too. :slight_smile:

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    B's are anything to be too hard on yourself with.
    If look at your exams and see what type of questions you're missing, ask the prof. for a little help

9. BudderMC

I disagree. Obviously sleep is a good thing. I personally make a point of getting at least 7 hours a night, barring a couple nights where I ended up staying up all night. I think it's much more important that if you can function with less sleep, you set up a sleep schedule so that you're consistently having little sleep. When you mess up your routine with all-nighters, that's when things get messy and you feel exhausted.

Similarly, if you aren't getting enough sleep each night (even if you are, actually), consider taking short power naps during the day. I find on days when my classes start early (~8:30am) I get tired by say, 1:30pm, so if I have a break around there I try and nap for about half an hour.

An analogy I heard to this that's stuck in my brain is this: is it better to learn 100% of the material but only perform at 50% because you're tired, or learn 70% and perform at 95% because you're well-rested?

Agreed on both counts. I personally have found nothing more important than not skipping class, for the reasons listed above.

Some other things that I've found are helpful:

- Make sure you take breaks from studying. Go hang out with friends, join extracurriculars, work out... do something. Doing nothing but work all the time is not good for your mental health.

- On that note, take care of your health. Physically, make sure you're sleeping and eating well, and getting outdoors. Mentally, take time to take care of yourself if you're feeling overwhelmed. If that means taking breaks or talking with friends/counselling services, do that. In university, there's generally tons of support systems in place if you seek them out, so make good use of them. There's no need to struggle alone.

- If you can avoid procrastinating, do so. Set goals, keep a list of things you want to do, assign times, etc. I'm a chronic procrastinator, so keeping a to-do list really helps me get things done at an appropriate time.

- Don't beat yourself up over a bad mark. Everyone has bad days, and more likely than not there's still a chance to bring your mark up again. It's not the end of the world.

- I find study groups helpful, so long as you're going to really understand what the other people are saying, rather than blindly following it (as you might with a professor). If you're using those situations to truly learn, it provides a good opportunity to challenge your (and their) knowledge on the subject. And teaching other people is one of the greatest ways to study (IMO).

- As for studying, keep in mind that every class (and every professor) will require a different way to study. I think it's best to start courses with an open mind and an idea in place on how to study, but be willing to change your method and plan. For example, I've taken 2 thermodynamics courses now by the same prof, but he laid the courses out slightly differently. It resulted in me having to study for the course much differently (sadly, I didn't realize this until the course was almost over...)

10. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

I find it helpful to be very engaged during the lecture. Sit in front, or in the middle of the room in the first few rows. Ask and answer questions whenever the opportunity presents itself. Don't worry about being annoying. If your professor has office hours, go visit when you have a chance to ask questions and clarify anything you might be confused about. It's probably also a good idea to study constantly throughout the semester instead of right before exams.

Beyond that, you need to experiment to find your own learning style. Do you learn best with partners/groups or on your own? With or without music? Any specific time of day? How long can you practically expect your brain to focus at one time? How necessary is it for you to read the textbook? You might already know some of these things, but you might also need to do some experimenting.

11. teluphone

thanks for all the advice everyone. As i am relatively unsure how rigorous other colleges/universities are with the grading system but my university grading isn't only based on final exams but it is also based on relative on how well others perform in exams as well as the continuous assessment (meaning if the module is easy, the benchmark is increased whereby scoring A/A+ requires one to make no more than 5-10 mark mistakes in the final exam). The composition of the continuous assessment is 30% and final exam is 70% for majority of the courses i take.

The thing why i'm beating myself over getting B/B+ is because to many people in my university, it's like you are getting below average and my smarter friends do make comments like "You need to do better next semester etc." and it makes me feel more inferior towards others about my own level of intelligence and efforts considering i do work very hard.

I personally find music to help a lot, i have a study partner for certain subjects i consider myself weaker in (alone for those i can manage/score) and find that textbooks have a rather substantial level of content that isn't in syllabus

12. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

My brother is currently at an ivy and he always tells me to just focus on learning instead of the number. So far it has helped me for the past few years.

13. ameliawesome

I don't know how Singapore university compares to the U.S.A., but I think taking advantage of the resources available in a university is more important than getting good grades. I got good grades but I rarely spoke with my counsellor about my post-grad plans, I didn't explore enough extra curricular activities on campus, and I certainly shouldn't have viewed graduation as the goal. My goal should've been to set myself up to be where I want to be after graduation. I'm gonna assume you're a more focused student than I was though, haha, so maybe you do all of those things I didn't, or maybe grades do matter way more in your university than other places. Stress can cause blocked thinking and poor sleep, so make sure you have a good stress release method. Your mind will be sharper and that could certainly help you raise your grades.

14. KaraBulut

You know, a colleague of mine once told me something that I always tell students that I work with:

Q: "What do you call someone who graduates at the bottom of their class in medical school?"
    A: "Doctor"

The question you need to ask yourself is, "Are you upset because you didn't achieve, because you didn't overachieve or because you feel like you didn't learn the material?".

If you say, "Because I didn't learn the material", then you should be very worried. There are basic concepts in science programs that are very important and each semester you will build upon those basic concepts. So, it's important that you understand and retain some of the core curriculum.

If you're upset because you feel like you could do better, then there are some things that you can do to improve your scores. But a "B" is an average grade- there's nothing to be ashamed about in getting a "B". But if you feel like you understand the material and you've learned the basic concepts, that's what is important- not the grade.

After you graduate from college, no one is ever going to ask you what grade you got in freshman chemistry. No one cares. What your future employers and coworkers will care about is whether you understand your field of expertise and whether you work hard.

15. RainbowBright

As a professor, I can give you the inside track. The truth is, every professor grades differently, no matter how much a university tries to make grading policies uniform. The grade will depend upon the level of the course, your contribution, the professor's own experience and expectations, and in your case also on how other students are performing since you get a grade on a curve.

The best way to ensure a top grade is to meet with the person who is grading your work - be that the professor or a teaching assistant. Tell them of your concerns and ask for help in giving them what they want. Show initiative, and dedication to improving. Professors and grad students do not like to have their time wasted because they have very little extra, so it is really annoying to set an hour out of your day to meet with a student who only has complaints about a grade, and then never meets with you again or follows any of your advice. On the other hand, a student who really listens and shows effort throughout the course to improve is the kind of student you gain a lot of respect for, and potentially even one you might write a recommendation for in the future.

The fact that you are starting in the Bs is a good sign - B in college is code for "has potential and a decent foundation, but needs a push to get to the top." It means you have what it takes to make As, you're just not using your effort wisely, or maybe have never been instructed on the particular thing the professor is looking for. If the course is something like Math, then you will have to practice more and get tutoring - usually a university will offer extra help groups with your TA free to all students in the course. If the course requires writing, then you'll need to get some tips from the grader as to what specifically you're missing, perhaps you can also ask to see a copy of an A paper without the name on it during your meeting so you know what they are looking for, and then you may also need to spend some time at the university's Writing Center.

Most professors really prefer giving out A's, and they are only too happy to help a self-motivated student achieve their best. A work makes grading easier, and makes the course more of a challenge to teach because the students there are engaged and really at the top of their game. Your best chance at getting A's in every course is to check the expectations BEFORE you submit your first graded assignment, and then if you get less than an A and don't know how to do better, schedule a meeting. You will find that each professor will grade a bit differently and will have different expectations, and while that is annoying, there is no way to change it. So check with each professor at the beginning of each semester at the first sign of a less than desirable grade. As you get used to this, you will need to check in less and will do a better job of giving them what they want without help. And definitely don't whine, even if you think the professor is being unfair, just be professional and courteous.

It's useful practice - even in the same industry, every employer will also have slightly different expectations, and will not be impressed when you complain by stating that your previous employer was more than happy with your performance. Learning how to determine and fulfill the desires of a boss is pretty essential to career success, and at least professors encourage questions as you practice that skill. And if you decide you don't like it, you have all that much more incentive to go into business for yourself after college, once you've learned the fundamentals of how to start and maintain a business if that's what you want. But college will be a lot more fun when you feel like you know what you're doing, and I admire that you really want to do your best while you're there. That attitude is probably what got you in in the first place!

Good luck!

16. SunSparks

Wow, there are some really great posts here!

As an engineer at an ivy, I have tips too! Although I just finished my first semester, I've learned a lot about how to study better for college. One thing that I saw was a really great resource, as already stated, was the professors and TAs themselves. Go to office hours when you can even if you don't have any questions. Just listen to other people's questions and you can learn a thing or two - or have them explain something you didn't get.

Another important thing for engineers are the problem sets! Problem sets - at least for me - are the key to success. I'm not sure if your uni is like mine but the ps we get are very difficult. Really take your time and understand EVERY thing. Not only do you get better problem solving skills but you create a real understanding of the topic rather than gaining superficial knowledge on solutions. Its that deep understanding of the subject that will lead to you being able to solve problems that seem to be impossible.

Also, dont be afraid to ask others but at the same time, dont depend of them. If you really cant get it, ask a friend! They can be more helpful than professors sometimes because they can explain it in a different way - a way that someone like you (ie student) understands.

And like others have said, textbooks and notes - you don't need to review them every day... i hardly used them. for me, it was practice practice practice.

also, in lectures, really pay attention to the professors - esp the changes he/she makes. Eg, if he gets louder or softer on one section, pay particular attention to it. Also, if you get the chance and if its available, go to another lecturers lecture for the same class.... sometimes, you can learn better with the other one. if the other one works better, go to those lectures instead of the others... same classes have same tests - at least where I am.

Overall, you need to understand the topic and whats really happening - not learn just how to solve the homework problems. take some time just to think it over in your head - look at every problem and ask yourself, what is happening here - what topics are included here? if you really have a deep understanding of the topics, you can work through any problem they throw at you.

17. Naomilly92

Take notes, do set activities, get assignments done quickly

18. KaraBulut

Another inside track thing you can do for a major like engineering: make friends with upperclassmen. Ask them what they studied and what concepts were important for the tests.

While this may seem like "cheating", it's actually an effective means to prioritize your study habits for each class. There are classes where reading the textbook is extremely important. There are classes where memorization is very important. There are classes where much of what is on the tests is covered in the lecture and is not in the textbook.

You still have to do the do the work. Knowing what to prioritize in your study habits- readings vs lecture notes vs rote memorization- will help you make best use of your time.

19. isobella

Procrastination is the big killer.
    A big no-no to procrastination!

20. teluphone

I appreciate the advice. I think i have a clearer idea on what i should do by the time new semester starts next next Monday

@RainbowBright: I think there is a set of university rules and regulation in my university involving any professor/AP/TAs/Phd students not allowed to share any tips and marking schemes to students as it can be viewed as a form of cheating and they may get in trouble for it as well. This means that not only are answers to past year examinations papers and tutorial answers are not released to the university population but also the professor cannot divulge any information regarding how to score A for a particular module (to prevent individuals from gaining a slight advantage)

I have to plan to cut back on the number of clubs and sports i've joined this year (leaving only Taekwondo training twice a week on my schedule just for the sake to keep me from getting bored). For my university, majority of the undergrads are strongly required to join a club/sports committee in order to allow them to stay in campus hostel by accumulating points, which is a little more stressful for my already stressful uni life tbh.