1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rocking back & forth

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MerBear, Jan 2, 2013.

1. MerBear

ever since i was a kid i use to rock back in forth when i was going to sleep and still do it , i rock my head back and forth...and if im at my sisters house , i can't do it because she doesn't like but not rocking back and forth drives me nuts. i HAVE to do it or i can't fall asleep

also when i rock back and forth i daydream. i do maladaptive daydreaming and i need to rock back and forth ..also listen to music

my dad thinks its a form of autism? could it be?just wondering

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm on the autism spectrum, being an aspie.

The only way to know for sure is to have a mental health professional diagnose you (or otherwise), but one of the more thorough online tests i have done is here:

Aspie-quiz

it is NOT a diagnosis tool. But it can give you an inkling.

Oh, on the rocking...

I used to when i was a kid, and also couldn't sleep without doing it. I stopped eventually, but i still do things like unstoppably jiggle my leg/legs, tap my fingers repeatedly, fidget in all manner of ways. It doesn't need to be a huge issue, for me it's just something that 'is'.

#2 Pseudojim, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  3. MerBear

yeah. agreed

4. Copperflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I rock myself back and forth all the time, and I don't suffer from any form of autism. I usually do it when I am focusing on something really hard, or if I am stressed. I think I read somewhere that it is a way of comforting or soothing yourself, and I don't see anything bad in it if it doesn't bother yourself. :slight_smile:

5. isobella

Hey, don't worry! I do it all the time. It's a pleasant feeling.
    It's not associated with, or a sign of mental illness- It's soothing for just about everyone.

Most have come to agree that the calming sensation from the motion subconsciously takes us back to when our parent/s rocked us soothingly as a baby.

6. Wndy

Wndy Guest

As someone else has said, only a mental health professional could say what you are (or aren't).

I sort of do a rocking thing, I figure it's part of the H in my ADHD. And I tend to move my feet when I'm in bed. I always thought that was strange, but I do it anyways. Typically without thinking. lol

7. returning

I walk back and forth. All the time. My parents sometimes try to get me to stop. When they do, I run outside and walk around the block. My father thinks that im hypnotizing myself, because when i'm compulsively walking I completely lose focus of my surroundings.