1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thumb Pain

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jacket, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Jacket

Hi

I think I'm okay but I could use a second opinion.
    I got my thumb caught and it stretched out too far and in a slightly awkward position which hurt me quite a lot.

It hurt me a fair amount that night and I didn't like to move it. When I woke up I could move my thumb around with relatively little/no pain however it hurts when I make certain movements.

Eg, if I hold my hand with my thumb pointing upwards I can point my thumb upwards without a problem however when I try to curl it into my hand it hurts however I am able to do it.
    I can also touch each of my fingers with my thumb however it gets slightly uncomfortable when I touch my little finger.
    It also hurts when I do something which requires me to apply force using my thumb, such as doing buttons or pulling out a chair.

The pain I feel is always in the lower part of my thumb towards my wrist.
    It felt less painful in a warm shower so I decided to soak my hand in warm water for a bit and it does seem to have helped.

Am I right in thinking that I have just stretched it a bit and it will heal fully on its own or have I caused more damage then I think?

2. KaraBulut

It sounds like ulnar/thumb sprain.

You should probably see your doctor to determine if you should have it xrayed just in case. After determining how severe a sprain it is, the doctor may want to give you an immobilizer or send you for a physical therapy consult.