1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paranormal or sleep disorder?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by vani, Jan 5, 2013.

1. vani

vani Guest

I don't know what happens but at night I don't dream I have ether nightmares or night terrors but I scream about whatver my night mare is [but I never remember] I used to just get up at night asleep and run into walls and sometimes I wake up with scratch or bruise marks close to my legs that I couldn't explain and I used to see white eyes and white tortured faces in the dark I never really thought of it until now and am confused

2. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Have you always lived in the same house?

3. vani

vani Guest

well my sisters were born in mexico and we have a house there but I was born in michigan and when I was a baby we used to live in a trailer park

4. PatyR

I think it's something psychological; maybe you're more stressed than normally, the scratches could be self-inflicted while you're sleeping, PTSD?
    Maybe you should go see a therapist.
    I don't believe in paranormal stuff so I don't think that's the case. But who knows.

5. vani

vani Guest

The only reason I even think about paranormal is that in 4th grade when I was going to go to school I accidentaly fell asleep in my parents room [because the tv in the living room wasn't working] but I was woken up by a hand grabbing me on my leg [oddly felt like my dad's] so I ran to school and under the stairs there are kids who wrote there age growing up [ex: lucy 10 12 13 14 15 16] and there was one that said something that looks like satanic also my sister used to hear voices in my room [used to be hers]

6. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I'm not a particular believer in the paranormal either. When we get paranoid due to various neurotransmitters and hormones we become more aware of everything around us, in normal situations our ears filter out a lot of sounds because we here them all the time so the body considers them nothing and no point in listening out for, but in this paranoid state we hear them again, and because we don't usually hear them we think of them as something new, something that shouldn't be there, perhaps something paranormal. It's easy to think that way, especially while paranoid as that's just generally what happens.

As for that hand thing, I'm not 100% sure, but it sounds like you had sleep paralysis, it's actually not that rare to have it, almost everyone experiences it at least once in their life. If you google sleep paralysis there are loads of definitions, and wikipedia has a great article on it.

As for that satanic writing thing... Maybe the people who lived in the past were going for that, to try and freak out anyone who looks at it, or maybe it was just messy writing.

This is just a case of over analyzing I think.

All the best.

7. vani

vani Guest

Well my sister's friend has a different sleep paralysis but she wakes up and see's stuff [but thats probrably due to her sister dieing house burning down brothers from different dads and a man in black walking around her house with a black book asking for her mom most of the time] But I don't think sleep paralysis consists of opening your eyes and whispering to the person next to you "help me" because that happened to me [but then again medical condicions have been considered paranormal in the past so maybe I am]

---------- Post added 5th Jan 2013 at 11:56 AM ----------

8. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I have had similar things happen to me. They were spiritual. Im a Christian and i believe very much in these kinds of things.

I used to be awoken by satanic presences and i would hear floors creak and feel a revolting energy around me. It got to a point where i was being suffocated by invisible hands in my sleep. The demonic attacks have stopped since i prayed against these spirits and now they dont bother me at all. What youre describing sounds like demonic activity.

9. jvn95

I really do not want to write it off as something paranormal. I really do believe in that kind of stuff but since I cannot see nor feel what it going on around you I just cannot say for sure that is the case.

You could be sleep walking because of stress or just because that it was some people do. And in particular one may see hallucinations and hurt themselves in their sleeping state.

Also. You could be falling out of bed or walking. Then get back in bed and not remember that you did. (just a thought.)

And Boi George. What you described above sounds exactly what I dealt with for a long time and it reoccurs. I see demons on top of me and I connot move and their red or black eyes are in my face. Or I see a black figure in my hall opening my door and coming toward me. And almost always during it feels like something cold and metal-like are going into my ear and it hurts. They go away if I relax and hold my breath. the tingling goes away and after about a minute i wake up. I do not believe in god, though I believe in paranormal. But from the stuff I looked up it is a condition known as Sleep Paralysis. you can look it up, I found it very interesting.

And as for the OP. Whether this stuff is paranormal or a medical condition of some sort, I cannot tell from a post for sure and I would advise you to, if it persists or gets worse, go see a doctor and get tested first before we throw paranormal things into the mix for sure.

10. KaraBulut

Did you mean parasomnia, maybe?

What you're describing sounds very much like a sleep disorder - sleep walking, night terrors and hypnagogic hallucinations.

11. Zaio

Zaio Guest

^This. What you guys are experiencing is Sleep Paralysis. The brain will make you see something that scares the shit out of you in order to wake you up, because you are sleeping in a position (often laying on your back or chest) that restricts breathing. In order to breathe properly, your body wakes you up by creating the same situations as a nightmare. Unfortunately, it's not quite like a nightmare and coming out of Sleep Paralysis can be scary, as the body isn't "shocked" like what happens in nightmares, so you don't jump awake but instead awake in a "dream state" that makes you think you're in reality, still in control of your mind, but in most cases you'll be unable to move and will see demented beings due to still being in a dream state.

For some reason, seeing a black being as described is incredibly common amongst people experiencing sleep paralysis, as well as the not being able to move and seeing things stare at you. The brain plays on the fear of being unable to escape from something you're afraid of, having to face it and thus generating excessive amounts of fear/adrenaline.

All the best.

12. Equalist

Equalist Guest

I'm going to second this.

It seems that your problem consists primarily of night terrors. Unfortunately, an exact cause of them is unknown, but most people will eventually just grow out of the problem.

13. vani

vani Guest

can hallucinations come BEFORE you sleep?

14. Equalist

Equalist Guest

Hallucinations occur spontaneously, so yes.

15. jvn95

They can, if it is another condition. Might want to research into that.

Or you can talk to your doctor too.

---------- Post added 5th Jan 2013 at 05:16 PM ----------

Oh yes I am very aware of this.
    That shit is SCARY.
    Ugh.

16. revi

revi Guest

And just to add to the point. Not saying any of you are wrong. But praying and having the feelings going away doesn't mean it's paranormal it could be making you feel less stressed thus not having these feelings anymore.

17. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Do you mean when you're trying to sleep or just anytime? The answer to both is yes.

If you have hallucinations JUST before you fall asleep, then it's likely it is indeed sleep paralysis, as sleep paralysis occurs either just before or after (or both) you fall asleep. If it's before, then usually you'll feel paralyzed much like waking up, and see demented things, JUST as you fall asleep, and still fall asleep. Sometimes however it can shock you awake so you won't have to go through it. This can be incredibly traumatizing as you're falling asleep while feeling as though some demented ominous being is in the room with you, which will make you shit bricks when you wake up.

If you mean just anywhere, then yes, and you should go to the doctor and explain it because things to do with hallucinations can be very serious. Hallucinations can occur if the body is very stressed/tired due to things such as not enough sleep or over exertion. However, they can also be caused by things like schizophrenia and severe bipolar. Really not trying to cause worry, but as a general rule of thumb, if you get hallucinations, it's time to visit the GP, as it sounds like you've had them for quite a while now.

Do you suffer from Sleep Paralysis often then? If you do, then there are a couple things you can do to help ease it, although you should see your GP because medications can help with it.

When you are aware you're having sleep paralysis, you should focus on your breathing, trying to create slow and regulated breathing patterns and you should try as hard as you can to move a finger or toe. If you can move them just for a second then usually you'll wake up. Another easy to do one is to start coughing loads, it'll usually wake you up properly.

All the best.

#17 Zaio, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  18. KaraBulut

Yes. that's what a hypnagogic hallucination is.

19. vani

vani Guest

I prayed and most of them went away but they come back

20. Zaio

Zaio Guest

It's a state of mind. By praying you get a false sense of security that makes the paranoia decrease, which makes you feel safer. If you aren't paranoid you won't be super alert listening for sounds that are always there, so it seems like everything returns to normal, but in reality nothing happened and nothing changed.

I'm not trying to attack any religion or peoples beliefs, but this happens so much it's hard to not comment on it.

All the best.