1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ibs? Help?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Tiny Catastrophe, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Tiny Catastrophe

So after a year of stomach issues my doctor seems to think I have ibs (although I'm kinda in denial I guess). Now my doctor keeps trying to tell me to take this Levsin stuff which has horrible side effects and I'm very sensitive to medication (if there's a side effect, I generally get it) and I am not one to take prescriptions or any medication unless it's absolutely necessary. I've done some research on other things to do to help reduce my ibs symptoms but I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice on what could help (non prescription wise) or someone who has ibs who could tell me what they find helpful. Any advice would be really great. Thanks

2. PatyR

Well I have IBS too, but I don't really take medication. I didn't use to eat meat and milk so it wasn't really painful, but when I drank soda or ate many potatoes then I'd feel horrible. Now I'm vegan and I've been feeling so much better, maybe because of the high fiber diet? Also, stress may cause it to get worse, so try to stay relaxed. It's all I can recall for now. Cheers :grin:

3. Coyote

As someone who's had stomach trouble since I can remember I feel your pain.

What type of IBS do you have? C or D?

If you have mostly C then you should try and up the intake of fibre in your diet. - a great supplement for this is Fybogel.

If it's D then you should try and eat things like white bread to help bind you up. - Though, in some cases extra fibre can help keep a routine going.

In anycase, things like greasy foods, fat, alcohol, caffeine and nicotine are very common for causing upsets. Keeping a food diary is useful too, it can help you see patterns and trends in diet and flare ups. For me at least, deep fried food = a day of HELL the next day.

We're all unique and there's no magic pill for IBS sadly. All I can suggest is trial and error to find what works best for you. You may also want to join an online support group if it's causing you a great deal of distress.

Hope this helps