1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

canker sores

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by hmph, Jan 7, 2013.

1. hmph

hmph Guest

i get canker sores pretty often (not cold sores) and those who get them know how ridiculously painful they can be
    is there any way to get rid of them quickly without going to the doctor (my insurance wont cover a check-up)? how can i dull the pain? the oral anesthetics i have used work well for a period of 10 minutes, and are very painful to apply. my mom has the same problem, and used to use these little caps to protect the ulcer, but i can't find them anywhere. thinking i may have mistaken it for something else. any help would be GREAT

2. MerBear

i do too and i don't know why

3. MixedNutz

Rinse with mouth wash and/or salt water.

When I was young I would put salt on them. Hurts like B but got rid of them quicker

4. redstormrising

5. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I seecond putting salt on your canker sore. It hurts so :***: bad but it always really helps! Rinsing with warm salt water does help as well. Usually I would do this a couple times a day.

6. jaydonc

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You need to find those in the house.

7. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    I get them too. Once every 3 months or so.

Whenever I do I do what the above people say and rinse with salt water.

I also avoid brushing my teeth. Instead I chew gum and rinse my mouth out when I have to with toothpaste and water just to get the pH right.

8. Zaio

Zaio Guest

If your sores are on the OUTSIDE of your mouth (not exposed to saliva), then do this. Salt works by creating a hostile environment for bacteria by drying out the wound. If the area is frequently salivated though, then it pretty much counteracts the effect of salt.

Other than that I'm afraid I don't know much about canker sores to give you more medical responses.

All the best.

9. KaraBulut

10. Wndy

Wndy Guest

Try eating canned green beans. It apparently *has* to be the canned variety, something about the canning process. This occasionally does nothing for me, but it has usually worked really well.

My mom, brother, and I get canker sores at times. I'd never heard of using salt, or rinsing my mouth with salt water. I'll have to remember that. :slight_smile:

11. Gallatin

I find mine are brought on by stress, mainly. They used to be incredibly painful and last for quite a while, but the past several times I've gotten them, I've rinsed with mouthwash a few times a day, and it's worked wonders. Pain and duration have been reduced significantly, and often, I've been able to nip them in the bud before they got really bad.

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get them sometimes too, you need a good antiseptic mouth wash, swish around in that area 2 times a day and be sure to brush your teeth in the morning and at night before you go to bed.

13. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi HMPH

I used to get very bad mouth ulcers until I changed my toothpaste to one that did not contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS). I have only found a few brands that do not contain this substance but it’s well worth changing to one if you can. If you look on the internet you will find information about this.

Also I have recently been getting very small painful spots on my head and switching to a shampoo that did not contain SLS has made a 95% improvement. It seems SLS can cause a variety of problems for many people.

Hope this helps.