1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fordyce Spots

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by whereisthelove, Jan 7, 2013.

1. As the title implies, what is some background information on Fordyce spots? Why do people get them and what are some of the best ways to manage or get rid of them?

I have discussed this with my doctor and, while I understand it is normal and not dangerous, they are still a bit of a drag on confidence. She advised simply trying cortisone cream. After multiple applications, this has proven ineffective. I am hesitant to use a stronger topical steroid, such as mometasone furoate cream in such a "sensitive" area.

Please, any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I actually had to look this up to see what they were.

I honestly can say that I actually thought that all guys had them. I've had them as long as I can remember. And all of the guys I have seen, also have them. I honestly didn't know that there were guys that didn't have them.

*shrugs* learn something new everyday

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Up until a minute ago, I thought every had them.

I would curious to find out how many thought the same way I do.

3. ForceAndVerve

I have them aswell. I remember a few years ago I did some research about them because, like you, I was concerned about them. By the sounds of it, there's not much you can do about them and they are more common than you may think. So try not to get down about it! :slight_smile:

4. KaraBulut

Fordyce's is considered a normal variation. It's just an enlargement of an oil gland. They're also seen around the edge of the lips, too. But because they're on the penis, people often fear that they're an STD like genital warts. They're quite common, so guys who are sexually active will often encounter someone with them.

Because it's an oil gland and not something that's on the surface of the skin, it's not easy to remove them without causing scars or irregularity of the skin. It's doubtful that a steroid cream would work on them because they're below the skin. There has been some research on removing them with laser but that's an expensive (and painful) option for something that is just considered a normal variation in the skin.

5. Thanks for your responses and advice. I suppose I will just have to start getting use to them. It's good to hear it's a common condition and really nothing to worry about.

There are however a couple that, shall we say, are too "pronounced" and that I would like to see diminshed. I've heard of a couple more things to try so I will see how effective they are.

Thanks again!