1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoning Out

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by suninthesky, Jan 7, 2013.

1. suninthesky

I dunno if this is the right place.. but here goes.

I keep zoning out. I can't really focus on interacting with other people and I keep needing to ask people to repeat stuff. When I'm not zoned out, I don't really feel all there either. I feel like everything is kind of surreal.. it's really hard to explain. When I'm talking/interacting, it feels like it's not really me that's talking, but someone else and I'm just watching it. I don't know what it is, or how to get it to stop? I'm getting really sick of it because I never feel like myself anymore.

2. VyreRain

Just ignore it or ... you could always shift your eyes a bit it'll force you back into focus....but I still say nothings better than ignoring a problem lol jk .... you might want to like see if your attention defecit err something?

3. jaydonc

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Shifting your eyes looks very good advice.

4. VyreRain

Well ... if it doesn't work you could shake your head... it'll also force you back to attention but other people will look at you like your crazy ..... lol.

5. OutwardSmiles

This tends to happen to me a lot. It's most likely because you aren't grounded. Being grounded is basically when you are in the present time and place and... in the best way I can find to put it you know that you're there and know what's around you. It's how you're normally supposed to feel, but if you become ungrounded, there are some ways to fix it.

Some of the easiest ways are walking backwards (I have no idea why this helps but it does) or walking barefoot outside in the grass or dirt (it helps you feel more connected to nature, therefor helping you "come back" to your physical surroundings, etc.).

There are also some other methods, a few of which are explained in detail here: 5 Good Ways to Ground Yourself | Erin Pavlina The thing I recommend most from this list is the meditation. It may be difficult if you've never meditated before but it works well if you do it right.

Grounding techniques are mainly used for either people with anxiety problems and/or depression, or people who practice psychic stuff, so don't be surprised if you try and look it up and find a bunch of stuff about those things. Everyone should know how to ground themselves though, and the way I see it, if it works, why does it matter where it comes from?

PS: Just trust me on this okay? I probably sound like some type of psycho right now but these techniques actually work.

6. VyreRain

@ OutwardSmiles I agree with the people with anxiety need to be grounded but not with depression.... that's not exactly good advice on that subject .... on that you need to see a doc ... or punch a few walls .... :slight_smile:

7. suninthesky

Thanks OS, good to know someone else knows what this hard-to-describe-feeling is like. I'll trust you and try those ways. Don't worry, you sound perfectly reasonable.

8. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    <=========Some people are just wired this way.
    But whether or not it is new is important. Are you just now becoming concerned about it or is it sudden?

The feeling is technically called depersonalization and can be indicative of a lot of things. Some more serious disorders and some not so serious, can also be temporary due to stress or other issues.

But basically this IS my life and l was diagnosed with ADHD pretty early on. l no longer take medication, the label itself doesn't mean a whole lot to me anymore and l've found ways of getting around this that don't involve medical treatment but it's good to know what it is.

This is usually pretty common with creative types or introverts too, sometimes not a concern at all.

9. Silverbells000

This is great advice, the walking backwards thing and going barefoot actually does help. I do it when I zone out, I also have a friend who might gently shake my shoulder when she notices I'm not quite "there".

10. volvo6x

Does this effect your learning at school? Do other people know it when you phase out? I'm just wondering because I have this weird problem too!

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2013 at 11:59 PM ----------

Haha creative and introvert type...

If it is sudden but last more than a year, does it mean anything much? How could one get diagnose for ADHD?
    It's good to see you can get around without relying on pills!

11. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I tend to Zone out, but it's to do with my Dyslexia & my Adult ADHD,, someone is speaking to me & I Zone out & have to ask them to repeat themselves, I went to my Doctor & he wanted to test me for a type of Epilepsy where you apparently Zone out when someone is talking to you!

12. suninthesky

Yeah, it makes it hard to catch everything my professors are saying, but I tend to record lectures on my computer so I can go back over them.

For me it's not just during school - when I'm awake I just feel like I'm in a fog that I can't shake. Dunno, still trying to figure out how to beat it.

13. Silver Sparrow

That definitely sounds a lot like derealization/depersonalization to me. One thing I have found helpful is to have something to do with one of your hands. I always carry Model Magic or Silly Putty to help me stay grounded.

14. sillyolme

It can be quite handy when you are doing a staring competition :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: When I zone out, I tend not to blink. But it's all to do with my dyspraxia. It is normally if I am thinking about something or daydreaming.

I usually just force myself to blink or shake my head and this usually works (then it comes back again, very quickly)

15. suninthesky

That's a really good idea, thanks!

16. I zone out a lot as well. I'll feel like I'm there physically.. but like mentally I'm not paying attention. I could be sitting in class, and the teacher is talking, and then out of nowhere I'll start just staring at the floor or something. Basically I'll know that I'm not paying attention, and it seems like I'm in a different world where I hear sounds and voices, but they're not coherent. When I zone out, I hear all the people talking around me, but at the same time it seems so silent. It just becomes noise, not words or sentences. Then it's the same thing when I'm reading too.. I don't know if that has anything to do with zoning out while reading, but I'll just find myself staring at the same word or page for like 10 minutes, then I'm seeing that the words start to make less sense, and when I try to put them together, they're just a big jumble of words on a page that I can't combine together to make any sense. It's been a huge problem for me, especially not knowing what to do about it. Nobody even believes me about the reading problem because they say that I'm smart and I wouldn't be smart if I had reading problems, but that's not the case. I have a hard time focusing, and if I lose that focus, then nothing makes sense.