1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scolosis and back pain

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MerBear, Jan 14, 2013.

1. MerBear

okay so i have pretty bad back pain and i have a mild form of scoliosis which is 23 degree's but still i don't know if the 2 are correlated or not.

my back pain can get pretty severe to the point where it's agonizing and i have to crack my back every day because if i don't it's going to continue and once i crack my back , the pain automatically goes away but then in about 3 hours , it starts to hurt again and the doctor said scoliosis doesn't cause back pain but my back pain only hurts where the curve is

2. RainbowMan

At your age, and with that little of a curve, I wouldn't think it would cause back pain. I had a 45 degree-ish curve surgically corrected when I was 18, left me with an 18-degree curve I think, and no back pain of any type whatsoever.

3. MerBear

i've had back pain ever since i was 12 but still , i don't think i have back pain for reason. no offense. i exercise

4. RainbowMan

Nah, not trying to discount what you're going through - I'm sure it's very real (and from the ~1 year of recovery from the spinal fusion, I can tell you how much back pain sucks!). Have you talked to your doctor/spinal surgeon (if you have one) about it? They could certainly provide you more insight than me.

5. MerBear

yeah but they don't say it's anything serious. it's just a teenage thing which i don't believe true. going through this much back every single day is not just a teenage thing.

i need to talk to him about my knee because when i little , i jumped out of the car while it was moving and landed straight on my right knee and ever since when i do running exercise , my knee pop loudly and it hurts when it clicks and a lot of the time , it hurts if i lay on it wrong but its only my right knee

6. Yui

Yui

What about a physical therapist?

The scoliosis may not be what causes the pain directly but your scoliosis can cause a bad posture (and no, it does not have to be extremly obvious to you or other people) and that can cause back pain. I have scoliosis as well and it results in my pelvis sometimes leaning a bit more to one side and being slightly lifted on this side (hard to explain). This is usually the reason for my back pain and it's nearly impossible to tell when I'm fully dressed because it's such a specific thing that's wrong with my posture.

Besides - is it you lower back that hurts? Then it could be the sacroiliac joint (I sometimes have problems with it) or something else in the pelvis area where the spine ends.

7. MerBear

my shoulder blades are uneven , i don't know about my pelvis
    and the pain is in the middle of my back , right where the curve is. it's more on right side than both sides

8. KaraBulut

This would be my suggestion, too.

Sometimes when you're dealing with doctors, you have to think about how you phrase your question.

If you're asking the doctor, "I have back pain. Is it related to my scoliosis?", then the answer you get will likely be, "Probably not".

If you're asking the doctor, "I'm having back pain. Is there something that would help with the pain- like maybe seeing a physical therapist?", then you'll get an answer like, "There's some things we can try for your pain. I'll write you a referral to a physical therapist".

9. MerBear

my dad can't afford it a physical therapist but is there any exercises i can do to relieve the pain?

10. Yui

Yui

Oh, I had this as well - I'm a wreck haha :grin:

But yeah - ask to be referred to a physical therapist. The physical therapist can see if somethings wrong with your spine/muscles etc. and will know what to do. They may do some exercises with you and show you what you can do at home to help relieve the pain/strenghten your muscles/whatever you'll need.

Does it help to put something warm on your back? Maybe a hot water bottle?

I hope it'll get better soon! (*hug*)

Do you know someone who is a physical therapist? Maybe a friends parent? Maybe you could ask around?

11. MerBear

yeah sort of , it relieves my tight muscles but it still hurt
    again , i want to go see a physical therapist but we can't afford one

12. Yui

Yui

Hmm, other than asking around if someone knows one I don't know what to do - I'm sorry :/

My mom is one and I can ask her if she has an idea what it could be but other than that I have no idea what to do :/ Unfortunately you can't diagnose something without seeing the patient in person but yeah - I'll ask her if she has an idea :slight_smile:

13. MerBear

wow , thank you :slight_smile:

14. Yui

Yui

You're welcome - I just have to wait till she comes home somewhere around 4 or 5pm :slight_smile:

15. MerBear

16. Yui

Yui

Okay, I just asked her :slight_smile:

She said it could be the part of your spine where your ribs are attached to it (since you said it's the middle of your back, sorta on the right which just means its the right part of your spine where your ribs meet it).
    These parts of your spine can become slightly dislocated so when you crack your back they jump back to their proper position and the pain goes away (which is what you said always happens). This part of your spine/ribcage also has a lot of nerves so this is why it hurts so bad because when it's dislocated you can pinch a nerv.
    You have to do exercises to strengthen the corset of muscles that goes around your torso because these muscles hold you up and keep everything properly positioned. You need to strengthen your back and abdominal muscles. Maybe you could look into pilates to get ideas and get a book/dvd - I could suggest one.
    Is one shoulder blade higher than the other?

#16 Yui, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  17. MerBear

yes

18. Yui

Yui

Okay, then you should correct this. Can you look in the mirror and tell if one of your shoulders (looking at it from the front) is higher than the other? If you always carry your (heavy) purse on your right shoulder, it can drag you down a bit to the right, even when you're not carrying a purse or heavy shopping bags so that could affect your posture and then you're always leaning a bit to one side with your upper body to begin with -> it's easy for something to become dislocated (in your case the part of the spine where your ribs on the right side are attached to it) -> you pinch a nerve -> back pain. All the bones and muscles work together so even the slightest problem in your posture can cause you pain.

19. MerBear

i wear a book bag but it's never that heavy but i did wear book bags that probably pulled down my shoulder

20. Yui

Yui

Yep - it happens quite easily and you usually won't notice unless you start having problems...But you can easily correct it yourself.

You may want to look into Pilates for Life by Darcey Bussell, there's a book and a dvd by her. I have the book and there are a lot of exercises that you can do at home. I really liked it when I was recovering from a dance related back injury that involved dislocated parts of my spine and weak muscles resulting in a pinched nerve (and let me tell you - the pain was unbearable, I couldn't walk, sit, lie on my back...it was awful...)

Hope I could help you! :slight_smile: If you have more questions - just ask! :slight_smile: