1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feel less depressed now I have turned off my “Gaydar Jammer”

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SaleGayGuy, Jan 15, 2013.

1. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At the age of 52, after a long and confusing struggle, I have recently accepted that I’m gay and come out to myself but I still have a long journey ahead of me since I’m married and not yet out to my wife. :icon_sad:

During my confused state I had been aware of that “special look” you sometimes get from a stranger passing you in the street but I never responded, it’s was though I had a built in “Gaydar Jammer”. Since I have come out to myself I have switched off my jammer and now respond to these looks with a knowing glance or smile. :slight_smile:

I now get a warm feeling whenever this happens knowing that “he knows - that I know – that he knows” and it’s made me feel so much better and confident about myself.

So if you are still closeted and think you have a “Gaydar Jammer” try turning it off for a while and see how much better it makes you feel. :icon_bigg

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I liked your post .... and the feeling I got from it that you are finding the new journey tantalising and you are going to have fun on the way

yes, my "jammer" is on most of the time, but occasionally I find glances at unexpected times and it intrigues me...

I gather the next step (after the knowing glance) .... is to turn and look back at the person if you pass them .. I never have the guts to do that...

3. Ditz

It's funny how you just know... Wonder how it works?

4. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sale, i'm just going to let you know now that there's a good chance that your relationship might strain, especially if you're wife is a highly intimate woman.

I just got out of a six year relationship with a girl, and I honestly tried very hard for her. She tried very hard for me too, but it didn't work out. I couldn't treat her the way she wanted treated: Like a woman. She needed a "straight-man" to take care of her and treat her how she wants.

She may understand though, but I would be suprised to see her not be shocked or upset at all. When you discover that you're gay so-late in life then it appears differently to some people (like you've been up to something). Just stay calm with her though, and 'take her by the hand and make her understand'. ^_^

#4 Shadowsettler, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  5. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi folks, thanks for the replies.

Bingostring: Yes it’s a tantalising journey, I feel like a teenager all over again, but as far as looking back goes I don’t want to do that until I have resolved things with my wife in case it takes me somewhere where I shouldn’t, but might want to, go.

Shadowsetter : It’s a difficult one, in some respects we have a somewhat unusual relationship with me sometimes living and working in other countries only seeing my wife at the weekends, and my wife is not at all intimate any more and I don’t think she would want a typical straight man with his demands for regular sex.

I think if I had gay experiences / thoughts before I was married then she would feel as though our entire marriage was a lie or pretence and be very angry, but since that’s not the case I would hope she would be more understanding.

I really think that we are in a “Don’t ask – don’t tell” situation with each of us afraid to rock the boat … but I could be completely wrong. She has never asked me directly if I am or had been gay, but sometimes when watching TV with a gay theme she has asked me to explain gay terminoligy e.g. "what a versatile top" … as though it was something all straight guys should know the answer to!

Coming to think of it I once suggested we try anal sex and she was very clear she did not want this and said ”If you want that then go and find a man who wants to take it up the arse” .. If only I had said OK then I’ll be back later..