1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with Fear

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Naomilly92, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Naomilly92

This may sound like an obvious or even rhetorical question. But how do you deal with fear? I have such a hard time dealing with it, when I'm gonna try something new, I.e. joining a new youth group, or something scary, (I.e. coming out of the closet) is coming up, I get really nervous, so much so that I begin to panic, fear the worse and sometimes try and back out of the thing I'm going to do, I know that if I face my fear, it will be for the best, but this doesn't stop me from backing out of it, or making excuses for not doing it. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with fear?

2. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Mine is going in crowded places, such as a gym, the uni canteen, pretty much anyone with lots of people in there, or on very rare occasions, 2 in fact, a discoteque.

My advice, have someone you trust, a friend with you. Helps a ton :slight_smile:

3. Nepenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you know in advance that you're going to do something that makes you scared or anxious, take time in the days beforehand to keep talking yourself into it. Tell yourself you're going to do it, and that you'll be ok. Over and over. Listening to music that relaxes you, makes you happy or feel motivated helps too.

And if you still end up backing out of the situation, be nice to yourself. Don't beat yourself up over it. Set a new goal and try harder to stick to it. That's what usually works for me.