1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exercising and self-esteem

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by lazyfire, Jan 16, 2013.

1. lazyfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Recently, my friend and I were discussing that exercise boosts your confidence. I feel like, even though I swam back then, it didn't boost my confidence at all! I still felt like something was holding me back. Somehow, I can't remember what I want and sometimes, I feel so lame and stupid I put myself down.

Why do I keep putting myself down and is exercise really supposed to boost confidence? To me, it differs from person to person. Like, per say, my masculine crush is an African-American wrestler at our high school and he seems to be very shy and less confident then regular jocks/athletes.

So, is this low self-esteem related to sexuality too?!

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to get a self esteem boost when I exercise. The endorphins it releases make you happy and I'm sure that translates to being happier about yourself as well. Also it can improve the way you look which will surely boost your self esteem more. Even if you don't feel like it boosted your confidence, maybe it did? Maybe you'd be worse off without it?

And not being heterosexual could, and I'm sure it usually does, have a negative impact on your self esteem. People are told that it's wrong all their life and that would definitely make you feel less happy about yourself. And even after you accept it you may feel uncomfortable to show it. Having to constantly worry and hide things from others will definitely hurt your self esteem.