1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you don't have any sex disease,

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Cloud Nine 5, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Cloud Nine 5

And someone goes down on you without a condom... can you get his disease if he has one?

Not asking from experience, I just wanna know.

2. tired_of_lying411

i dont think... but hey, what do i know???

the only thing i can think of is herpes... like if he had mouth herpes could you get the OTHER kind of herpes from oral sex?? Again, i dont think so

3. GuitarGirl1350

Silly boys.

OF COURSE you can get STDs from oral sex. You can even get HIV. because oral sex is an exchange of body fluids, no matter who is giving/recieveing, you can transmit disease. You get throat gonnoreah (and I mangled the word, Sorry.) Throat siphylis, throat chlamydia, etc. The same infections that would normally wreak havoc on your penis will live in your throat. Throat siph can kill you the same way genital siph can. (Eating holes in your brain.) it's the same with all. It's also the same if the giver has throat <std here>. It will just transfer from his mouth to your penis. The herpes virus, if the giver has it in his mouth, will be transferred to your penis, or vice-verse. HIV is easily contracted through oral sex because it lives in the other person and gets into your bloodstream via your urethra and bladder. There is no one-hundred percent safe way to have unprotected sex, no matter what type it is.

If you must expose yourself to these risks please be safe. A simple condom will prevent all the ugliness.

Hope I helped.

Jack

4. Cloud Nine 5

Haha I'm not close to having it soon but I wanted to ask that anyway. Thanks

5. Micah

GuitarGirl is quite right :slight_smile:

While the risk is somewhat lower, the risk is there regardless. Using a condom (providing it doesnt break) reduces the chance even further, to about 1%.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    indeed. though statistics show getting aids through oral sex is much much less common. if ur afraid then definitely use a condom, but the most important time to use a condom is in anal sex. that is when the risk of getting AIDS/HIV or anything is the highest. just be careful, you don't want to risk getting something.

7. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

There is always a risk involved without a condom. You can even pick up a disease if you take the condom off wrong or it breaks, etc. I don't mean to scare, but nothing is 100% risk free, you have to cut the risks as best you can.

Another thing that has to take place along with an exposure is something called the "bacterial or viral load" meaning there are a certain number of either bacteria or viral particles that have to be above a certain "critical mass" in order to infect. So there are many factors that are involved.

But the above info is good to have and to know. Lessen your risks as much as possible.

8. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The herpes virus usually that causes cold sores (HSV-1) is different from the one that usually causes genital herpes (HSV-2) and there is only a very small chance that for instance HSV-1 will cause genital infections. This is because the types of nerves that they reside in during their latency periods are somewhat different. It is thus more difficult for HSV-1 to infect the genital area.

9. Jerr

uh if you are worried... use a condom (as EVERYONE has said so far) or... stick to a hand job yo! lol

uh one thing with giving oral to someone who is wearing a condom... i don't know about you but I have VERY sharp k-9s ...the longer/sharper teeth (i call em k-9s... no idea if thats what they are supose 2 b called but whatev) and i could easaly like rip a hole... if my teeth were to accidentaly rub (which hell iv gotten where that doesnt happen any more... practice makes perfect thank god for friends with benifits)

trust who you are with... use a condom anyways... or stick with handjobs or.... abstinence!

10. JayHew

The Herpes virus (1) and (2) are in the same class and both can infect in either area of the body or anywhere in on the body. They are very similar to each other and cause about the same symptoms, one being more prominent in and around the mouth area and the other in the genital area.

Once Herpes is contracted, it can lay quiet for a long time then erupt or not show any signs or symptoms, yet be in a stage that can be passed with body contact with another.
    Symptoms can range from a burning and itching to intense pain with eruption of blisters. Body aches and pains can accompany it along with fever and chills. Most cases last up to about 10 day to two weeks on initial infection and may be of shorter duration in later outbreaks. Either can also cause rather significant and serious systemic disease, such as inflammation of the brain or the lining of the brain and spinal column.

Treatment is with antiviral medicines now day. They have side effects so can be a bit of a time from those should you have them.

Periods of stress seem to bring about outbreaks, so controlling those will help. Also large intake of foods containing arginine (an ammo acid) in meats, chocolate, nuts, poultry, cheese and dry milk are a few sources. It is not that you have to avoid those foods, but don't over do with them.

A possible home treatment would be using L-Lysine 1500mg a day for three days and then 1000mg for three days, then a maintenance dose of 500mg a day. L-Lysine is another ammo acid necessary for the body, but counters the affects of arginine. Though not fully studied, from many people I know, it seems to work and cuts down on the number of outbreaks they have or with some ends them.

11. Jerr

Just because you stop the outbreaks doesn't mean you can't pass it on... See the herpes commercial that says 70% of people who contracted herpes did so when their partner showed no sign... (god just strike down the 30%...)

I have seen that commercial so many times that it is burned into my memory... and for having surgery on my head less then ...well actually exactly 12 hours ago... and I still can't get that commercial out of my head... oh well.

Mr. JayHew is an intelligent baked good. (Smart cookie!)

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing, HIV is harder to receive from oral whether giving or receiving. If I recall certain enzymes in your mouth I believe help eliminate some of the things in the seminal fluid. The only way you can possibly get something from the seminal fluid entering your bloodstream is if you do it without a condom and you have potential cuts that expose your bloodstream. There are potential others, but if I recall researchers have found that you would need to take gallons of seminal fluid to contract HIV. As for other STDS, well what people have said above applies.

13. JayHew

Just as a follow up with the HIV question, HIV is found in saliva, albeit in low concentrations, so risk is considered low. But if there are cuts in your mouth (recent brushing of teeth, bitting your lip, etc.) and receiving semen (HIV concentration is much higher in semen) the risk goes up and it does not require receiving gallons of semen to happen. The concentration of HIV in semen is more than enough to cause infection, even in small amounts.

Take that also with the number of people using H2 blockers and Proton pump blockers (Pepcid, Tagamet, Zantac, Prilosec to name a few) and the resultant lower acid levels in the stomach, killing of viruses and bacteria entering there is greatly decreased. (Thus the increase in cases of Clostridium Diff.)

The ideal condition for transfer of HIV is blood to blood but any body fluid coming in contact with blood entry (a cut or abrasion) and in some cases the mucous membranes (mouth, rectum, eyes, etc.) can cause transfer, most especially if there is any break in the lining. It has happened that conversion has taken place when blood was splashed in eyes and mouth in medical emergency situations.

Now before the fear factor takes over completely, HIV is a fragile virus and outside the body dies in a matter of hours (dries out). Along with this comes the idea of "load" meaning in order for infection to take place, a certain "critical mass" must be present, in other words, there has to be a certain number of viral particles or bacteria present in the exposure episode in order for infection to be established. If any of the necessary conditions required for infection are not present at the level needed, infection does not take place, but it is a total crap shoot to know which factor might be lacking, so unsafe behaviors increase the risks. It is best always to be safe as much as possible, to decrease in whatever manner possible the conditions that would permit disease transmission. Nothing is 100% except total avoidance, but there are means to greatly decrease the risks.

14. JayHew is right. The herpes virus instead of normal viruses using the lytic cycle uses the lysogenic cycle (im a huge biology nerd). Whereas normal viruses use your cells to reproduce and infect you temporarily, herpes buries in your cell and waits for the perfect time to emerge. Cold sores are in the herpes family and it is a lifetime virus. Sunlight and stress can trigger it, the medicine makes it go back into hiding. Same thing with it in other areas of the body

15. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually it's worth pointing out that condoms don't make sex risk free... especially with herpes because herpes infects an area, so unless you cover the person's entire genital area with latex or some other effective barrier, herpes can still be transmitted even the main part of the genitals are covered.

And if I recall correctly the non-HIV STDs are far more infectious than HIV. As was mentioned previously in this thread, HIV is really a fragile virus... so herpes is considered something like 100x more infectious than HIV?

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So by "risk going up," what does that mean, exactly? Because it seems to me that if oral transmission was even a reasonably viable route, there would be a lot more people with HIV than there are. I'm basing this on the fact that I think most of the guys I've talked to do not use protection for oral sex.

Really?! My understanding was that infection via that kind of casual contact was theoretically possible but had not ever been documented. Much like the whole dentist or dental hygiene staff never having been infected after working on a patient who was HIV positive.

I understand why accidental needle pokes are a concern for health professionals because then the virus has direct access to your bloodstream but splashes on mucous membranes? Seriously? That's pretty frightening.

I was led to believe that the whole "HIV positive person with an open wound coming in contact with a non-positive person with an open wound" transmission fear was pretty much unfounded. Not absolutely impossible but highly, highly unlikely.

17. JayHew

joeyconnick, good questions and thoughts. The HIV virus is fragile and there are a number of conditions that have to be met in order for infection to take place. Viral load seems to be a major factor, a certain mass of particles has to be present to cause infection.

Needles sticks are worrisome, but accidental sticks conversion is very low. Same with all other types of exposures, except blood/blood and then it means too, significant amounts, how long was contact, health condition of the person exposed.

The mucous membrane exposure without a break in the lining is not likely and contact time is critical, how long the infected material is in contact with an open wound. Unfortunate choice of words with "in some cases the mucous membranes (mouth, rectum, eyes, etc.) can cause transfer" should have been highlighted with a break of the lining. It does not mean 100% certainty that transmission will happen, such as oral sex, but the risk of it happening is increased.

I looked for the info on the eye splash and mouth splash. Both had open open wounds, rash around eyelids and mouth and exposure was prolonged. Myth put to rest.

Overall, HIV is not that easy to transmit and conditions for it to happen have to be right. The idea is to cut the risks to as low as possible, as it is still a bit of Russian roulette and for the person infected by an exposure, it is 100%. But you are correct, casual contact with a blood/blood exposure such as a wound has pretty much been found to be not very likely at all. Could happen, but would be more the exception than the rule.

From the CDC: Center for Disease Control (USA)

HIV is spread by sexual contact with an infected person, by sharing needles and/or syringes (primarily for drug injection) with someone who is infected, or, less commonly (and now very rarely in countries where blood is screened for HIV antibodies), through transfusions of infected blood or blood clotting factors. Babies born to HIV-infected women may become infected before or during birth or through breast-feeding after birth.

In the health care setting, workers have been infected with HIV after being stuck with needles containing HIV-infected blood or, less frequently, after infected blood gets into a worker’s open cut or a mucous membrane (for example, the eyes or inside of the nose). There has been only one instance of patients being infected by a health care worker in the United States; this involved HIV transmission from one infected dentist to six patients. Investigations have been completed involving more than 22,000 patients of 63 HIV-infected physicians, surgeons, and dentists, and no other cases of this type of transmission have been identified in the United States.

Some people fear that HIV might be transmitted in other ways; however, no scientific evidence to support any of these fears has been found. If HIV were being transmitted through other routes (such as through air, water, or insects), the pattern of reported AIDS cases would be much different from what has been observed. For example, if mosquitoes could transmit HIV infection, many more young children and preadolescents would have been diagnosed with AIDS.

All reported cases suggesting new or potentially unknown routes of transmission are thoroughly investigated by state and local health departments with the assistance, guidance, and laboratory support from CDC. No additional routes of transmission have been recorded, despite a national sentinel system designed to detect just such an occurrence.

The following paragraphs specifically address some of the common misperceptions about HIV transmission.

HIV in the Environment

Scientists and medical authorities agree that HIV does not survive well in the environment, making the possibility of environmental transmission remote. HIV is found in varying concentrations or amounts in blood, semen, vaginal fluid, breast milk, saliva, and tears. (See page 3, Saliva, Tears, and Sweat.) To obtain data on the survival of HIV, laboratory studies have required the use of artificially high concentrations of laboratory-grown virus. Although these unnatural concentrations of HIV can be kept alive for days or even weeks under precisely controlled and limited laboratory conditions, CDC studies have shown that drying of even these high concentrations of HIV reduces the amount of infectious virus by 90 to 99 percent within several hours. Since the HIV concentrations used in laboratory studies are much higher than those actually found in blood or other specimens, drying of HIV-infected human blood or other body fluids reduces the theoretical risk of environmental transmission to that which has been observed--essentially zero. Incorrect interpretation of conclusions drawn from laboratory studies have unnecessarily alarmed some people.

Results from laboratory studies should not be used to assess specific personal risk of infection because (1) the amount of virus studied is not found in human specimens or elsewhere in nature, and (2) no one has been identified as infected with HIV due to contact with an environmental surface. Additionally, HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions, therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

18. 94nat

Re: A question about anal & cumming

I've really only played around sexually with 1 of my friends from school. He's a few months younger than myself. I've slept with him a few times and haven't even thought of a condom. We have never done oral but have done anal. After we have well had enough we just go to sleep and shower in the morning. Can cumming over each others body cause problems also?????

19. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: A question about anal & cumming

Well considering how young you guys are, you probably don't have anything to worry about because it would be relatively unlikely for either of you to have picked up a sexually transmitted infection at ages 12 and 13. Not impossible, though.

Cumming on a guy's body is not gonna be dangerous unless the guy has open cuts and if you've read this entire thread you know that even that is pretty unlikely to result in any kind of transmission of HIV. So basically unless you or he are pretty beat up, that should be totally fine. Me and my boyfriend cum on each other quite a bit *grin* and I'm totally okay with that, as is he.

However unprotected anal sex is generally considered the most risky sexual activity you can engage in, whether the person "doing/fucking" the other person cums or not. My practice has been to always use condoms if I'm doing that, even if I'm 99.99% sure the other person is HIV negative, just because it seemed like a really good habit to get into.

I'm not sure if you'd have trouble getting condoms or not--I'm thinking maybe it would be an issue because of your age--but I would highly recommend it. If you can't buy them, you can usually pick free ones up at free health clinics or gay community centres.

If you can't get your hands on any, I would stick to keeping your guys' dicks away from each other's asses. It's your call, of course, but it just seems like it would be a lot safer that way. He might end up having sex with someone else who you don't know about, you might end up having sex with someone else who he doesn't know about...

It totally sucks to have to consider all these things, I know. Trust me, I KNOW. But if you don't make choices to protect yourself, then you end up just leaving it to chance, and that can have some pretty serious consequences. Like I said, it's probably pretty unlikely either one of you is "at risk" right now but in my mind, it's never to soon to start getting into good habits.

Hope that helps!

20. GoodOlMe

Well Joey pretty much covered it. Even if you do get condoms, they DO NOT PROTECT FROM ALL STD's!!!! Some STD's are transfered just by sexual contact, which means any part of the lower area coming in contact with the partner. STD's such as Herpes, Gonorrhea, Scabies, Pubic Lice, and some more can't be prevented by using any sort of contraceptive. The best thing to do is know your partner, who they have slept with, and abstinence. I know its hard when you are a raging horny little teen, but if you looked at the pictures of what STD's look like, such as herpes, they can make you not want to have sex forever. Ew thats nasty, do try looking it up sometime, its a great learning experience, just have a barf bucket handy when you do.