1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pcos...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 23, 2013.

1. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    so l've read a little about it and apparently it's more common among lesbians.

l had some vague symptoms a few years ago and a friend with t suggested it could be PCOS. Went away though.

Now recently l have the signs of an ovarian cyst and need to go to the doctor, have been having some more signs of PCOS. Irregular periods, spotting, HORRIFYING PMS.

But omg. l'm scared. l don't know how to say this without being offensive but l guess l thought l wasn't "manly' enough for this to happen.

The cause is supposed to be too much male hormone produced by the ovaries. IDK, l've never had hormonal issues, have a feminine body shape, no major acne issues,no facial hair, etc...lol. lf anything l thought l was a feminine, fertile type. Fortunately l'm not really worried about the infertility that often occurs with PCOS, though.

Really not looking forward to possible weight gain, facial hair, or going on birth control to treat it.

Have yet to be diagnosed so l shouldn't be jumping the gun anyway but l have suspected it for a long time.

Any girls with it? Have you managed to avoid weight gain,acne etc?

#1 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have it. I've avoided dark facial hair and acne. But I did gain weight. I'm 5'2'', so my ideal weight is 110 pounds. I got up to 125 pounds last year. I lost it quickly because I started to work out, but I am still 8 pounds overweight (118 pounds). I have been breaking out a very small amount, but only because I'm on Diamox (diuretic). I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18, and I avoided acne for 3 years.

The only major problem I have with PCOS is the extreme pain. I am always tender in my lower abdomen, even when I'm not menstruating. And when I am menstruating, my cramps are so bad that it hurts to talk. I've actually sneezed so hard that one of my cysts ruptured. I was taking birth control (Zovia) and it was amazing. Though, I stopped taking it since I was put on Diamox because I was afraid the Zovia was making me retain water. I have a condition called Pseudotumor cerebri, which is a fake tumor. It causes excess water to surround the brain and swell the optic nerves. But just recently, I was told that my birth control pills do not make someone retain water. So I will be taking them again next week.

Zovia helped me tremendously. My cramps were almost non-existent and my periods became lighter. When I was young, I would have heavy periods that would last 6-7 days. When I was put on birth control, my periods never lasted for more than 5 days; being very light by the 4th day.

EDIT: The very first birth control I was put on was Yaz. It also helped my cramps and bleeding, but it made me act like a crazy person. It's also on recall in some places because it's known to be bad for the heart.

#2 Anthemic, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  3. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    :/ l know l retained water on BC. Sorry about your condition.

But yeah, l had a a reaction to very low dose birth control with my legs swelling up and l was bloated everywhere for like a year before that happened.

DNW to go back on it. l guess PCOS doesn't turn out horribly for everyone though but it does seem like something that gets progressively worse.

Anyway l need to stop and actually see the doctor.

4. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, seeing a doctor is very important. They will be able to tell you a good amount of information. May I ask, what birth control were you taking?

I actually have a low tolerance for medication. For example, after I had surgery, I was put on the lowest dose of Lortab. I was tripping out. One minute I'd be talking, and the next minute I'd be out of it as if I had narcolepsy. I also can't take corticosteroids. I have severe side effects from them. But Zovia never caused me to act differently other than in my advantage.

5. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    xD it was Mircette. But really that was like the only side effect l had from it.

6. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never heard of that before. o.o
    Retaining water is a terrible side effect. I think the best option is to go to an OB/GYN and tell them exactly what's going on. Be sure to let them know what Mircette did to you. Tell them that you would like to avoid water retention and weight gain, and all the other crap that PCOS likes to throw at you.

7. Tazzy

can't help much medication else as im in the UK but i have pcos too, mine's fairly severe but on meds it's not so bad. its a lot more common than you think!

8. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

I have it as well. It definitely was a factor for why I was obese for so many years and I couldn't lose weight even when I tried. The hair did not skip me either... but once I got on BC and a diuretic things are much better now. I just still have some of the hair, but it's very light. It's totally a liveable disease and I wouldn't stress too much as long as you stay on top of it.

9. KaraBulut

Were you seeing a physician who specializes in PCOS?

Don't give up on BCP- there's a lot of different options on BCP even if you did have an adverse effect to the one that you were prescribed. Hormone therapy is the cornerstone of treatment since it both regulates the monthly cycle and lowers male hormone levels. It often takes a trial of different BCP to find the right one but usually most physicians try to start with an estrogen-progestogen combination in the lowest dose. Usually this doesn't produce the side effects seen with the higher dose pills.

You should go see your physician and if he/she doesn't have a lot of experience with PCOS, ask for a referral to a physician who does.

10. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l wasn't then. Just on birth control for other reasons, l've never had any symptoms like this as far as PCOS. l mean no hormonal issues in the past.

That's good to hear though, actually aside from that l didn't even have most of the side effects people talk about from BC.