1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have a personality disorder?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TheQuietTreader, Jan 23, 2013.

1. TheQuietTreader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry if this seems like it was written fast, because, well, it was. :lol: Recently, for like the past three weeks or so, I've been kind of anti-social. Well, I still engage in conversations, but I feel like I'm just not really paying attention in most of them, and when I do it's rare (like a couple times a day for 10 minutes, maybe). I guess you could say I'm pretty popular, so I'm not usually like this.
    Also, since I've been like this, I find that there is no reason to go over to other peoples houses or stuff. That scared me, and so I decided to try to go to other peoples houses more xD. It made me feel even more anti-social anyway.
    I'll explain how I've been feeling. I feel that why go to someone's house or just even engage in conversation when I can just be alone and do whatever I want without someone else's jurisdiction butting in. And before I felt like this it left a gap in my heart when I wasn't with someone for about two days or so besides family. Now even when I've been without anyone for 5 days (we had a 3 day weekend last week Martin Luther King Jr, and I was sick), I feel completely fine! It's really really weird. I feel like whenever I'm alone I can watch whatever youtube videos I want, and they are better than real people.
    I don't like thinking like this but I don't know how to stop it. Whenever I engage in conversation I feel I am being boring also. I am usually not like this either! I can tell I'm being boring because the other person will usually go talk to someone else. I just can't think of anything to say sometimes! It pisses me off! :bang:
    If you can help me remember why friends are important, or tell me if you know I have a personality disorder. And how do I be more 'engaged', 'focused', and 'interesting' during conversations? I realize this kind of got confusing and split into three problems, but oh well. Thanks for listening EC!!! You people are truly awesome. (By the way it's been half a year since I came out to my first friend, and you guys helped with that!) :slight_smile:

2. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    eh. Do you want to have one?

l'm not quick to label any deviation from then norm as defined by the DSM as a cause for concern.

Also if you're thinking Antisocial PD, that's the label given to sociopaths.

But you sound like me and a lot of people. l'm an introvert, first off. lt doesn't mean l never socialize but it does mean that sometimes l will take a break from it without warning and that sometimes l DO find my interests more important than other people.

Who says they aren't? Really, lol. l try to keep a balance but people can be boring, repetitive, useless, annoying.

And also funny and interesting, and smart.

Sometimes :slight_smile:

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    it could be mild Social Anxiety ... but may pass as quickly as it came .. as you are young and have a long way to go...

4. GabrielTai

I genuinely hope that you aren't offended by this, as Im not trying to sound that way at all.

Personality disorders are NOT as common as the media, your friends, and doctors would have you believe. Teenagers go through personality changes more sharply than any others because the brain is going through a stage of trying to balance out the new chemicals brought on by puberty. In other words, your head is all over the place right now, and even if it doesnt seem like it will get any better, it will. The chemicals start calming down around 18 and finally settle in the mid twenties.

I recommend that you see a therapist if you feel like you need a diagnosis, but that you refuse medication. Any drug that alters your brain chemistry during your developing years could very well permanently alter it and you may end up worse off than if you had just let your body figure itself out.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people your age have quite a variation from one day to the next, or one week to the next, in attitude, interaction, etc. And the feelings of independence one day and dependence one day are also not uncommon for teens. People going through puberty are notoriously moody :slight_smile:

So I wouldn't sweat it . I certainly don't see anything that sounds like a personality disorder.

6. Hexagon

No. Well, nothing you've said suggests you do. I researched personality disorders for a book I'm supposed to be writing, and you don't sound like you have one. However, many people (including myself) feel similarly, or have felt something like you feel in the past. Being engaged with others all the time isn't the only ideal state of being, even if it does seem to be the most common.

And don't discount the possibility that, as others have said, this is hormone related, and will pass with time.

7. Oddish

Oddish Guest

You just sound like an introvert who enjoys some communication/social interaction (as most introverts do). Perhaps some mild social anxiety but everyone experiences that. You sound normal, no personality disorder there.

8. TheQuietTreader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OK thanks everyone. I've thought about it and it might also be because I've been so busy I feel I don't have enough energy to talk with people. Or it could be what most of you said, hormones. I'm just going to try my best to go with it.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel the same way. If I don't have my safe zone, or "inner sanctum" as my dad called it, I tend to get worn out always behaving and watching my back. I have tried to relax a bit while living in my gf's house, but that's how she found out about my visiting EC, and my fapping habits, and how I can't concentrate on anything with her crappy music in my ear. I'm reminded frequently of how much I preferred being alone.

It's only a personality disorder if it interferes with normal life.