1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inserting Tampons

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BoiGeorge, Jan 25, 2013.

1. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

No matter what I try, I cant get a tampon 'up there'! I dont know whats wrong with me! :astonished: Any tips??

2. Delta

Chances are, you're psyching yourself out. :slight_smile: What's the problem that makes it not go in, do you know?

3. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I have no clue! I assume my vag is the same size as everyone elses so i dont know why a tampon wont go up there! I mean, the things supposed to hold a penis! And yet a tiny little tampon wont go up there! I dont get it

4. Delta

I assure you, it isn't the size of your vagina. And vaginas aren't supposed to hold penises, that's just weird. XD

So, you have multiple orifices. Are you sure the one you're trying for is really your vagina? If no, feel around towards the base of the vulva, it's placed pretty far back, to be honest. Then, maybe use your finger to see which direction the canal goes for you. On different people it can have a different angle. If you can feel that, try pushing the tampon in on that angle. It'll probably be easier if you have some kind of applicator, but if not, just be sure to wash your hands before and after.

5. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I'll be pushing and it will just stop and not move, like its stuck. If I try and push it any further it hurts.

Haha loved the penis comment! XD

6. Delta

Can you get your finger up there? If you can feel what's in the way, it might help. It might just be you clenching inadvertently because of nerves, too.

How to Insert a Tampon for the First Time | eHow.com This is a good guide without getting too patronizing.

7. Ianthe

I couldn't use a tampon until I had my hymen surgically cut. Attempting to put one in hurt me a lot. If your hymen is intact, it may not accommodate a tampon, and if your hymen is especially thick, it could be significantly painful to break it. The opening in your hymen might be too small, or your hymen could have several very small openings instead of one.

My solution was surgery, so I don't really have an alternative suggestion. You could force it in, breaking your hymen, but like I said--ouch.

Actually, if this is the case for you, I recommend the surgery I had. (It was recommended by my gynecologist when she couldn't get the smallest speculum in without causing significant pain.) I'm glad I never had to have the pain of breaking my hymen during sex, I think it would have been very painful and a bad experience.

Many women have hymens that are not as thick and have larger openings, and are mostly worn away even before having sex, and it's not as painful for them. But for me, I'm pretty sure it would have been really painful.

8. Delta

I, apparently, have none. Or it was broken before I had any clue I had a vagina. One of those two.

9. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I think an intact hymen might be my problem... Interesting. It just seems strange that all my friends can insert tampons and here I am, wincing in pain everytime I try and insert one! :grin:

10. Bree

I couldn't insert tampons without cramping up for the first year I tried them...then my mom told me to use saliva. Spit in your non-dominant hand, dip the end of the tampon in it, and then insert quickly before the spit can absorb--if you slow down during insertion it will start getting "stuck" again. If you don't know what angle you need thoroughly coat a finger in saliva and figure it out. I would be VERY shocked if your hymen was blocking it, and if you can use one finger you can use a tampon.

11. KaraBulut

There's a "slender" version of many tampons that are intended for younger women or women who have intact hymens. These usually help women who are small-framed or who have an intact or thick hymen.

Ianthe mentions something that is common- it affects about 25% of girls - a hymen that causes a very small opening to the vagina (called a microperforate hymen). You would need to have your OB/Gyn do an exam and help enlarge the opening if you have a microperforate hymen.

There's an image at the link below that may help make it clearer:
    http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/hymen.html

#11 KaraBulut, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  12. Crystine

Crystine Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    if you want to you can try inserting it but don't force yourself just because most girls do it... some of my best friends are literally terrified of using tampons :slight_smile:

I don't know if that works for you but when I first had my menstruation it helped me a lot taking a bath before trying to insert a tampon. taking a bath relaxes our muscles and also the vagina is a little wet from the water so it's easier for the tampon to slip in.

#12 Crystine, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  13. Kay

Kay Guest

A thick hymen is all I can think of as well. There is the possibility that you havean aversion to such an insertion and tighten the muscles against it.
    You may want to have an Ob/Gyn check it out. As was stated in the post I quoted surgery is sometimes the only way to break the hymen without extreme pain.

14. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    The first one that worked for me was Playtex gentle glide. Expensive but easy. After a year or so l think l got used to really awful cheap, huge ones lol.

15. Carm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Aim it toward the back of you, not straight up. I don't know the logistics of this, but it works for me. (And, yes, I know the difference between my orifices).

16. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Generally, as the angle varies between ladies, aim the tampon to the small of your back. I've got a really weird angled vagina it eventually turned out and it took me a while to understand how I curved.

Also, it'll likely be your hymen, as said previously; most women's will wear away naturally - particularly if you partake in a lot of sport - others will be broken one way or another. And then you've ladies like Ianthe who needed some surgical intervention. The first half dozen times I tried I just found the exact same thing, it only goes so far, perhaps an inch, then PAAAIN. Yup, hymen. I gave up for about a year after that before trying again and it slid in like a dream (and I didn't dance around the house after that, honest). I did a load of sport too so my hymen was super thick it would appear.

17. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had/have the same problem! I eventually just stopped using tampons and just stuck to pads, but my friends/mom say that I'm weird for not using tampons since they're more convenient...

I just don't care much for penetration down there because it's always painful... Maybe it's psychological... but I never understood how it was so easy for ladies to shove things up there!

18. MerBear

i hate pads beyond anything , tampons suit me....it wasn't painful the first i used one but it is painful for some.

i just dont like pads because i dont feel like sitting on my own blood and feel it. ew
    but it suits some people so im fine with it

19. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l wasn't going to go there but l think l'd just kill myself if l still had ot use pads lol. HATE. HATE. No words...can express.

But anyway l was thinking about the Deva cup. Which honestly looks gross to me but l hear sooooooooooooooooo many women raving about it.

l'm not entirely sure what the insertion process is like, it seems like it could be easier for some.

20. MerBear

agreed hahaha