1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on food

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Martin, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heylo *waves*

For those of you following my dentist trips will be aware that today i went for my first lot of cosmetic work. Apart from being uber numb after 8 needles (argh) and 2 hours worth of drilling and teeth fitting (12 new ones. oucies), i now have in some temporary crowns which feel uber weird. Anyways, my mouth is really numb and achy so i need some advice on foods to eat. My dentist said i need to just test things and see how they go for now, but i am not exactly eager to start eating at any random thing to test whether there is pain.

So yeah, anyone got any ideas for food that wont hurt me? :astonished:

2. TriBi

While I haven't 'been there and done that' with the same procedure as myself, I did have my wisdom teeth removed many years ago (in Argentina - long story) and went to dinner afterwards with a bunch of friends, including my dentist. He insisted on specifying what I COULD eat - and it involved foods that didn't place undue stress on my molars - eg omelettes etc (NOT steaks and anything hard).

Not sure if that helps - buit I'd say it was pretty logical...

3. Kimi

Avoid anything cold or hot.
    (Food or drink doesn't matter. Room temperature or body temperature is the best)

Avoid anything spicy.

Avoid anything hard.

Avoid fruits.

That's about it, I guess. I can't really think of anything else that would hurt...
    Like your dentist said, you just got to give it try:grin:

4. Urman

Urman Guest

I am with you i knocked my tempory crown out i am getting it fixed i am in your exact same postion.Dont eat anything that is hard because it will knock it out.

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice so far peeps. :grin: I am eating some break now and i feel like a muppet because i can't eat properly. Stupid numbness. :astonished:

6. Louise

I would say something like ready brek for breakfast or sweetened yogurts, shepards pie or spagetti bolognaise for lunch and vegetable soup for tea if you are hungry between meals you can always snack on biscuits dunked in tea or hot chocolate or coffee.

None of the above require much chewing but are still nourishing and tasty. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

7. Alexander

Applesauce. MILKSHAKES (they will also raise your calcium which will help your teeth :grin:). Yogurts. Eggs, if you eat them. Mashed potatoes. Clear soups. Rice.

8. Urman

Urman Guest

I just got back from the dentist to get my new thing and i am in pain.But ya dont anything that can cause more damage.

9. pirateninja

I would say soup, but I don't know if the heat would make it hurt.

Slightly warm soup?

I'm guessing just stuff that goes down easily and doesn't require a heckload of chewing and isn't particularly hot or cold, then you should be fine.

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I guess you need to use chew and bite stuff a bit to get them working, but not such that it's difficult. So maybe something like toast, a cheese sandwich or sausages which do need to be chewed but not that much.

11. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Pork Scratchings Martin... Pork Scratchings

12. mcrteenagers

The best part of getting my wisdom teeth out was the 3 days of milkshakes and smoothies. Mmmm.

13. Vampyrecat

If you're willing to try something a bit different, try some tofu. make sure that if you have it in a soup, that it is the FIRM NON SILKEN tofu. Otherwise you'll get grossed out. trust me, I love tofu and it grossed me out. you can have a mild stirfry with peas and rice and corns and beans and stuff like that.
    If you like seafood I suppose you should have some fish, it has omega three and omega six which are good for brains and calcium absorption.
    Um, if you're just going to take it really easy, which is what I'd do, just buy a nutrient supplement like Berocca just to keep your nutrient levels up.
    Hope this helps.
    Oh! stay away from Borlotti Beans. They smell HORRIBLE. And that's before they even come out of your system.

14. sexyalex

martin, be wise.

let me first start by telling u that u need to form a diet of soft food. so really soft Mac and cheese would do, as well as soup and food drinks. not protein shake like "slim fast".

when i got my teeth drilled i had to drink allot of pedialight. Ensure or supligen is good too. u can drink milo as well and try not to drink anything to stain ur teeth so if u used ot drink coffee diversificate to redbull.

ps- don't eat any chocolate or chewing gum! best if u eat a hard candy if u must. no nuts ether.

15. Jim1454

If you had any work done on your gums, I'd advise you to not drink thick drinks with a straw... the suction that you have to apply to the straw with your mouth may hinder the healing process of your gums.

Good luck though. Sounds pretty intense!

16. tehnathan

(warm) soups, puddings, jello, applesauce, water, juice, milk/milkshakes/smoothies, yogurt, cream cheese.

i think rice should be okay depending on the dish (worked for me).

avoid anything particularly hot, cold or anything that requires a lot of chewing.

I was lucky when I had dental work, I could eat pizza a few hours after, but it depends on the person - I recover very quickly.

#16 tehnathan, Mar 10, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2008