1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sectioning one's self

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by -Michael-, Jan 29, 2013.

1. -Michael-

Does anyone know the procedure which you have to take in order to check one's self into a psychiatric hospital.

I'm 100% certain now that I need to go in voluntarily before i'm forced in.

2. Mogget

Just go to the emergency room of the hospital and say you're suicidal.

3. -Michael-

I'd prefer a less dramatic way.

4. Mogget

Well, if you have a therapist or psychiatrist, you could ask them to make the arrangements. If not, going to your local hospital's ER is the least dramatic way to voluntarily section yourself. The next step up is calling the police and saying you're suicidal and being taken in an ambulance or police car.

5. KaraBulut

Since you're in the UK, you would contact your GP for a referral.

If it can't wait, call NHS Direct (0845 4647) or go to your nearest accident and emergency department and tell the staff how you are feeling.

#5 KaraBulut, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. falsereading

falsereading Guest

Either through your GP, through your local Crisis Team (depending on your health authority, should not be too hard to find a number) or via A&E (don't say you are suicidal, just tell them the problem) and ask for the duty crisis team.

A number of ways really, GPs I am not sure how quick they work but if you got in touch with the local crisis team then you will probably be speaking with AMHP's (approved mental health professionals) that work closer with local mental health hospitals and the process may be quicker.

You could try and self present at a local MH hospital but I have heard many people get a cold shoulder and get told to go to A&E.