1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stress Eating

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jared, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Jared

Does anybody have any tips on how to stop or least decrease stress eating. I've been having some problems with my family lately and I've basically been eating my feelings for a few weeks. And basically that means "Hello 10 lbs I didn't have a month ago." I've kinda always been a stress eater, which is why I was way overweight in my teens until I came to college and lost weight. And in the past year I sorta lost the desire to stress eat, but it's come back lately since I've been fighting with my mom a lot. Any tips?

2. falsereading

falsereading Guest

I'm just coming out of a classic stress eating couple of years. I put most of it down to a busy job, being in denial/closet and just being plain lazy. Past month or so I am back on the road to weight loss and my secret was remarkably simple; internet grocery shopping.

Before I would look in the fridge, eat a load of cakes or stuff. I have found that now I buy weekly/bi weekly shopping on the internet I have exactly what I need in the fridge and no more. As such I can't stress eat as there is nothing unhealthy in the fridge and there is only enough for me to eat for the week (seven apples, seven oranges etc - one a day) so if I eat more than I set aside today then I go hungry tommorow.

After a day or two the urge to drive and get a big mac went and I am pretty happy on my new regime.

3. frozenandbroken

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Keep a small bag of almonds with you anywhere you go, if you're feeling stressed you have them to snack on, and they're healthy.

If at home. Try not to keep anything unhealthy around because that leads to temptation. Sure you have apples, but you also have ice cream too, y'know?

If you can't help that, go for a walk. Just a quick walk around the block every time you feel yourself wanting to give into temptation. You can also chug some water, it'll give you a full feeling.

Even if you feel hungry because you're stressed, it's still your body telling itself it's hungry. So just try not to go too long without eating. Just have a small snack but portion it out to last a little while I guess, eat a carrot every 5 minutes for 30 minutes.

If you don't already have a cheat day once every couple weeks. I suggest giving yourself one. Don't go overboard, but you'll be rewarded knowing you can have something so it's not such a chore trying to eat healthy all the time.

I'm a tea fan, so I have lots of different types of tea, that's helped me if I'm feeling stressed and or hungry. Lavender tea is good for de-stressing, I also have Chocolate-Hazelnut for something to help with an insatiable appetite. Of course green tea. It's all good.

Of course make sure you have lots of fiber/whole grains/fruits & veggies in your diet.

Lastly it just comes down to will power. Eventually if you resist enough, it becomes a bit easier every time. I try and remember that I'll be eating lunch/dinner/snack in a couple hours so I can eat then.

This is just what has worked for me. It's extremely hard, I know.

#3 frozenandbroken, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  4. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ha, I am stress Non-eater. The more stressed I get the less I eat, just to feel more superior, I guess.

But, yeah just keep healthy snacks around, and try to cut out most of the junk food from your life.

5. Adarya

Ugg, I'm all too familiar with stress eating. Although I haven't fully been trying to initiate all of these tips yet, I still have some that might help.

-Drink a lot of water. It can make you feel better and full at times and also because of that old saying that thirst is often mistaken for hunger
    -Like the poster above, keep a lot of healthy snacks around and not a lot of junk food
    -Get something you can chew on when you feel slightly hungry: almonds, sugar snap peas (my personal favorite), or just plain gum can work sometimes
    -When stress eating you feel hungry a lot, so eat more often than you normally do, just in smaller portions and try to keep it healthy snacks
    -Also, since you are eating because you're stressed you could maybe just try to cut off the stress, possibly meditating, taking a walk, relaxing with a good book, exercising, or another activity that could help to get the causes of your stress off your mind

That's all I've got for the moment. Like frozenandbroken said, a lot of it also comes down to willpower, so remember that next time you're stress eating. Hope this helps!

6. leer

I did used to comfort eat a little when i was younger during the time knowing i was gay but keeping it to myself so i would stay in my room and just eat crisps chocks to make me feel better and hide the wrappers