1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cervical Smears

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MyJunkIsYou, Feb 1, 2013.

1. MyJunkIsYou

Hi,

I just got a letter through the post inviting me for a cervical smear test (my first). (This is in the UK with the NHS)

Will they ask about my sexual history? Will I need to tell them I'm gay? I just want to be prepared. They sent a pamphlet but it doesn't have any reference to lesbian and bisexual women. I mean if I hadn't bothered to do some extra research I wouldn't have even known that I still need it. I'm intending to go just a bit worried

Thanks.

2. ive never been yet and cant seem to book it EVER at the right time u__u

yeah they do ask about sexual history and things. you dont need to tell your sexuality but you can if you want as im sure they ask 'when was the last time you had intercourse' or something alsong those lines... so the lines are a bit blurry then. and it could lead to them saying 'well if youve had unprotected sex or something then you need to protect yourself in future because o pregnancy'.... e.t.c e.t.c

3. MyJunkIsYou

Thanks. To be honest it's probably easier if I do then because otherwise they're gonna get the wrong impression!

4. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    they may ask about sexual history. Usually they want to know for purposes of what kind of STDs they think you could be prone to (will sometimes ask about anal, etc).

Very easy though, not a big deal at all.

5. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

Ugh hate pap smears. I just got mine a couple days ago. Prepare...it does not feel good but it's important. I really don't think it matters if you're gay or straight but they will ask about your sexual history, birth control, etc.

6. KaraBulut

And to be clear, when we ask about your sexual history, we don't really care about your sexual orientation as much as we care about your sexual activity.

In particular, if a woman is sexually active with men, she's more at risk for cervical cancer (because of the HPV connection).