1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sore throat (one side) and mucous

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Revan, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi guys,
    So first off I know this could just be solved as a simple check to the doctor but I moved last year and no doctors in my new city are taking patients...so pretty much that option is kinda difficult unless i want to travel far to an emergency room and likely wait hours for something so simple.

So pretty much I woke up today after about eight hours to find the right side of my throat sore if i put pressure on my gland, and slight amount of pain when I swallow, though now it has gone down as obviously I gargled warm water and salt. I also notice that I have a lot of mucous build up too and my ears sometimes feel a little clogged, it's kinda on and off that part. I'm wondering what could have caused this.

A little about what things might have:
    I don't get a lot of sleep except on weekends, usually most school days I get five to six hours...
    I haven't dusted my room in the past two weeks...
    It's cold out though I do not have a runny nose, maybe a little sniffle but barely. PLUS there was a big change temperature wise this week as it went up to 15 degrees celsius Wednesday and then the very next day was minus 14.

Any help would be helpful...I just want to know if I'm over worrying over something as simple as possible indoor allergens.

2. CatofOld

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This isn't anything that someone can really help you with over the web, especially when your description is lacking in details.

However if I were you I would simple wait a day or two to see if it gets better, since it does kind of sound like an acute viral infection (a cold), unless I had a change in symptom.

Again you can't web diagnosis someone, and if you really are worried then you might consider going to an Urgent Care rather then an ER if you don't feel like it is ER worthy.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well given the sore throat seems to already be disappearing and my gland is less sore...I think I was right with indoor allergens....but thanks none the less.

4. KaraBulut

You can an over-the-counter antihistamine like Allegra or Zyrtec with some saline nasal rinses. If it is an indoor allergy, the symptoms should improve within a day or two.

If the mucus drainage persists, it's likely a cold. The flu strains that are in circulation this year are resulting in more severe symptoms, so it's unlikely to be the flu. For a cold, it's a matter of symptom relief and time- there's little that a doctor can prescribe for colds.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well 12 hours later my throat is not sore anymore, still a little snot lol but not like what you usually feel with a cold. My one gland is still a little sore but honestly only when I put pressure on it lol.