1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HIV/AIDS for black gays

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by AaronG, Feb 6, 2013.

1. AaronG

AaronG Guest

I haven't done much research yet but everyone here is so smart I decided to start a thread first. As gay person i'm at a higher risk of getting HIV/AIDS right? And as a black person i'm at a higher risk as well. Does this mean I have a x4 chance of getting this disease? I've never had sex or anything but when it does happen I don't wanna have that fear of a disease haunting me the whole time. So should I be worried anymore than a White, Asian, Latino etc man about catching this disease?

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

You're not personally more likely to catch HIV because you're gay and black, it's just that gay and black people are more likely in general to already have the disease.

To protect yourself, just practice safe sex, it's the same no matter what your race is.

3. BudderMC

The degree of precaution you take in your sexual health is totally up to you. That said, theoretically if everyone was diligent in being precautious, the rate of things like these would probably be way down.

The thing about your race and your risk of HIV is more due to the fact that statistically, black people are more likely to have it. AFAIK, it isn't a biological phenomenon, but more due to socioeconomic issues leading to unavailability or improper protection.

Similar deal with being gay. Yeah, the demographic is more likely to have HIV, but that's due to other social issues. I think there is some increased risk due to anal vs. vaginal sex, but don't quote me on that.

The bottom line is though, if you're playing safe you'll have minimal risk, regardless your orientation/race. There's inherent risk with every action though, so it's up to you how much that risk is worth.

4. Jameson

Well, I've never had sex before, but here's what I have to say:
    1. Try to choose wisely when deciding on who to have sex with. Try avoiding promiscuity.
    2. Have sex with someone you know is clean. Try getting them/yourself to get a test.
    3. Have sex with protection; protection that is not broken or with holes
    4. Do some research at least :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    condommmmm. every time. women of any race, heterosexuals.

Anyone who engages in anal without protection.

And you would be surprised how many people are unaware of the specific risks anal sex carries :confused: Heteros too, what's even more scary in their case is because there's obviously no pregnancy risk with anal sex so they DON'T use protection. omg >_>

so within that demographic it is higher yes, IIRC. But as a black gay person you can protect yourself lol.

6. AaronG

AaronG Guest

Thanks guys, I definitely plan to use protection whenever that time comes. I appreciate your responses.

7. photoguy93

It's not that, genetically, you are at a higher risk. For example, black people need to watch their Vitamin D levels, because of your genetics.

It just happens that the risk of HIV/AIDS is higher in the black population.

But you have the choice - a lot of these facts and figures (be you black, white, purple, or green) have to do with protection, safety, and common sense. You have the right to say "no" and you have the right to decide who you have sex with. Yes, you need to be cautious, but so does everyone.

8. KaraBulut

The question of risk is more with about choices in sexual behavior and not your skin color or sexual orientation.

The incidence of HIV in urban black men who have sex with men is about 1 in 5. One of the fastest populations of HIV+ people is black women. But this is not because of their race, gender or sexual orientation. It's because they are not using condoms.

HIV/AIDS and African Americans | Topics | CDC HIV/AIDS

There may be other genetic factors at play but your risk factors are the same as everyone else. And it's up to you to chose your partners wisely, use condoms and make no exceptions to the condom rule.