1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good books for sexual psychology? relationships, coming out?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Akatosh, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Akatosh

I'm looking to research the psychology of gay men. I want to know more about why I avoid, avoid, avoid even allowing myself to meet someone. I know a lot of it has to do with fear of rejection, social anxiety, self-esteem, but I want to know more about the dynamics and the deep-rooted issues that affect my views. I feel I have a distorted view of relationships, maybe an extremely distorted view. I have idealized views that sound good, but it's not reality.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you're going to have great luck simply researching it. You'd do a lot better working on those issues with a therapist. Joe Kort's book "Ten Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love" does delve into a lot of the family-of-origin issues and how they can affect us, so that would be a good place to start, but ultimately, that's the sort of thing that's much easier to resolve with therapy than by reading theoretical stuff about relationship and attachment theory. :slight_smile:

3. Akatosh

I just finished a short read that was far too simplistic. It offered some good advice, but I could have written it in a day or two. I had my first session with my new therapist yesterday, and I feel comfortable talking to him. He specializes in gay issues and he is also gay, so there's commonality. In my field, I research and study a lot, so I'm drawn to want to read more and answer/discredit my own theories and logic. After this last read, I won't be buying anymore books on gay men from amazon. The author is a doctor, for crying out loud, and it feels like the book is written by a well-educated high school student..