1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flu

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by alex0791, Mar 8, 2008.

1. alex0791

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OKay so I think that I;m coming down with a case of the flu... WOOOO FUN! UGGGG. SO does anyone have any good home remedies they can share? If not, I'm going to return to school loking miserable and ugly (or uglier than I already am.....) PLEASE HELP THANKS XOXO

2. iPieman

Milk & honey or Honey & lemon always helps me when I get ill.
    Wrap yourself up in bed and sweat it all out of you.

3. alex0791

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Milk and honey in the same cup? And can you actually sweat out the flu?

4. SkyTears

Hey you were the one to ask for home remedies haha. Gatorade is good for when you get sick because of what it is made with helps your immune system.

5. alex0791

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, haha, I'm not complaining, I just haven't heard of those remedies...

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Is it flue or is it a bad cold? They are different things, though people often say "flu" when they actually have a bad cold.

I have been fairly lucky and have managed to miss most of the colds going round at work recently. When I do get one though I just use paracetamol to relieve the symptoms, eat plenty of fruit and drink plenty of water. Cold remedy products don't work for me as the decongestant in them makes me feel worse.

A hot honey and lemon drink is good for soothing the throat and clearing the nose, but the effects don't last long. That could be good before going to bed. Warm milk is good for soothing the throat too. You might not want to drink too much if your stomach is unsettled though.

If you are using cold remedy products, check whether they contain paracetamol. Many do so you mustn't take more than one or take paracetamol too. You don't want a paracetamol overdose on top of the cold!

Stick with one cold remedy product, don't take more than one. Markie did this once - only one contained paracetamol but they both contained decongestants and the combination made him feel much worse.

7. Grof142007

yike i have dodge the FLu and all cold this winter i been lucky cause the guy right behind me got the flu and broncatis( the thoart thingy) so yea

i really dont have anything suggestion beside sweating it out of it that how i got rid of all my cold i just sweat them out it work for me at least.

I Hope you feel better

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Another thing - if you feel tired then rest. Don't try to force yourself to stay up and active.

It's your body telling you that it needs you to rest to help recover. If you ignore it the recovery could take longer.

9. Kimi

If you have the flu...I don't recommend you to go school...

Unless you want whole school to be closed:lol:

10. KaraBulut

How to know when you have a cold versus when you have the flu:
    • A cold will last 2-5 days. The flu will last over a week.
    • If you have a high fever, it's probably the flu. Colds usually have low fevers or no fevers.
    • If you have a runny and stuffy nose, it's more likely to be a cold.
    • If you have muscle aches and feel extremely tired, it's the flu.
    • Most people with colds are able to work and do what they normally do. A person with the flu is more likely to stay in bed because they feel miserable.

If you have the flu, do everyone a favor and stay home. Your friends, fellow students or co-workers don't want to get sick. :slight_smile:

The best home remedy for both a cold and the flu is to rest, drink lots of fluids and eat well. Soups and gelatin will help make your throat feel better. Teas with lemon and honey also help. Some people like milk and puddings but milk products can make you feel sick to your stomach when you have a fever and it can also make you produce more mucus, so avoid milk products if they bother you.

If you have trouble sleeping, in the US you can take a night-time cold medicine like Theraflu, Tylenol PM or Nyquil.

Paracetamol is called acetaminophen in the US. The most common brand in the US in Tylenol. As Paul UK pointed out, acetaminophen/paracetamol is in a lot of cold medicines, so be careful not take two or more medicines that contain it because it can be very toxic when you take too much.

11. justjoshoh

Everyone is giving good advice thus far, but there are a few things I'd like to point out.

There is not anything available over the counter to reduce or prevent influenza. The over the counter products only treat the symptoms of the flu. Your pharmacist should be able to help select an appropriate product based on your symptoms and any interactions with other medications or with any preexisting conditions.

Furthermore, you should only treat your actual symptoms. Your pharmacist will be able to help you select a product or a combination of products that treat your exact symptoms. Sometimes patients will end up selecting products that work opposite than what they are attempting to treat, so it is important that you read the drug information on over the counter products to ensure that you are selecting the correct drug.

If the condition still persists or worsens, it is important that you contact your medical doctor for treatment. Additionly, if the onset is fewer than two days old, the doctor may prescribe Tamiflu, which may reduce the length of the illness.

12. Alexander

The best thing you can do for yourself is keep wrapped up, drink insane amounts of water and eat small amounts of light food occasionally.

13. Orion

Hey! I have a bad cold too! High five?

Being sick suckss. And I hate tissues and anything sick-related. Oh well, all you and I can do now is wait and keep the symptoms at bay. Good luck.

14. tehnathan

Hmm. My last cold lasted a week or two. Strange.

15. Urman

Urman Guest

Any type of fruit juice like orange or apple.Or Water or Milk and soup and toast.Also get a lot of sleep so your body can get better.

16. alex0791

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for the advice. I tried many things you guys suggested and they worked, but I still ended up missing two days of school! :-0

17. KaraBulut

Glad you're feeling better.

18. Urman

Urman Guest

Well let me add to this real quick i can safely say that i have the flu and not a cold