1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My boyfriend is always emotional and depressed, and I don't know how to deal with it.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Quartz, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Quartz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A little background: I am 21, he is 24. We have only been dating about a month and a half.

Basically here is my problem: when it comes to emotions, I'm a total idiot. I'm a naturally calm and stoic person. I don't display a lot of emotion, I don't particularly like talking about my feelings, and in general I don't have a lot of very strong emotions - usually I'm fairly neutral. No high highs and low lows. I'm the type of person who tells myself to suck it up, and I do. Some people may think that this is unhealthy, but it's what I do, and it works for me.

I am also kind of a loner. I need my space, and I need time to myself. Before I started dating him I would lose my phone for days and not give a thought to it. Any calls/texts could wait, and I often wouldn't even have any, and I was fine with that.

My boyfriend, however, isn't like me. He is very emotional, especially on the low end. He gets depressed SO easily. Now I admit that sometimes he has legitimate reasons to be sad. His family treats him like crap. He has health problems (seizures, diabetes - the kind that's genetic, not the kind that comes from unhealthy eating). But other times there's just no reason for it.

We live in the same town, about 25 mins from each other, but I am always extremely busy, so we see each other about 1-3 times a week usually. I'm generally at races on the weekend (compete on a college team) and they take the whole weekend.

Basically what is frustrating me is that it seems like several times a week he just gets really sad for no reason. Then he's all down, and I have to try to comfort him (and I'm really bad at that) and make sure he's okay (We've been together a month and a half and he's talked about suicide several times and attempted it once). It's exhausting for me. Sometimes I just want to tell him to toughen the f up and stop being such a baby. I don't of course, but I want to.

How do I deal with this? I don't want to break up with him, because he's a really great guy and I like him a lot. Please don't just say talk to him about it. I've already thought of that and have no idea how to without hurting him. I'm afraid that if I tell him he's too emotional then he'll just stop telling me when he's down which would just lead to a vicious cycle of depression. Any advice?

2. BudderMC

Re: My boyfriend is always emotional and depressed, and I don't know how to deal with

There are a lot of ways people act when they're depressed.

I know that talking to him isn't ideal, but let me put it this way: if he's going to be depressed regardless what you do/don't say, and you would like to maintain a relationship with him, shouldn't you be honest with him?

And since this is an ongoing issue, is he seeing any professionals for it? A therapist/counsellor perhaps?

3. Quartz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: My boyfriend is always emotional and depressed, and I don't know how to deal with

He has seen them in the past and been on antidepressants, but at the moment he makes very little money so he couldn't afford a counselor.

4. KingdomKeyDK

You should just come out to him and say hey, you know, I noticed you are very glum. Talk to him about why he is sad and help him push through it. Make sure to guide him.

5. squally89

Hi Quartz,

Thanks for sharing what you're going through. I have a few questions to ask you if you don't mind answering:
    How does it feel when your bf talks about suicide? How did you handle that? I just feel like that would put a lot of psychological stress on you as you have indicated your fatigue. Have you told him how that impacts you? Is your bf aware he is depressed? When he is depressed, does he seek attention from you or do you feel obligated to give him attention?

Being busy and understanding one having an independent life could be a difficult concept for some to grasp, especially during the early stages of the relationship. That said given that you're both young adults, I think it's best to lay down some ground rules about one another. For example, "This is my personality....I like X....This is my schedule..." After a month and a half I think it's appropriate time to talk about how you feel. I know that's not what you want to hear, but perhaps there's a way of saying things like this in a sensitive tone that wouldn't hurt him. Start out with "How do you feel today?" and have him talk a bit and then you talk about how you feel.

Communication is essential to any types of relationship. Wanting to avoid talking about something is like putting a band-aid on a cut. Yes it does stop the bleeding, but the wound itself is still there.

6. photoguy93

I completely understand how it is tiring. But read this - it's not about depression, but it's about anxiety.

Anxiety, you're not the boss of me - CNN.com

I am anxious, close to a majority of the time. I can't just "suck it up and not worry." I do hold it together and get stuff done. But sometimes, people aren't built to be so chill like you.

The suicide part is what gets me. He truly attempted it once? That's when you have to be honset. I think that you need to be there for him, but only if he makes a decision to get help. He doesn't have money? Well, maybe a local counseling center would help. Or maybe he could find his own online forum! With his health issues, how is he getting the meds - because it's important he's being followed closely. That might be weighing on him, too.

You are not doing anything bad - I'm not trying to judge you. I'm just someone who people usually try and tell to "buck up." So, I'm saying what I would want to hear.

Just talk with him. Be open and honest.

7. June Cleaver

This is a hard one. He sounds like the type guy who needs constant attention. I am exactly like you and need pleanty of space. Therefore I turned down many good guys waiting on one who was right for me. It took me years to find him. I hate to say either you will have to change, or find a guy who is less needy. My man is a workaholic which allows me to have my space durring the day. This guy sounds like 1-3 times a week is too little to make him feel secure. You might try calling him a lot, and making more time to see him durring the week. After a while he may settle down and feel more secure. See if he wants to come and watch you on those weekend events, instead of being left out. All the emotional drama is probably his way to get your attention, not knowing he is really pushing you away. It sounds like to make your relationship work you need to put a lot of time and effort into it, or just move on. I don't think anyone will have a easy fix for this. June

8. nevashiva

nevashiva Guest

Sometimes it takes a while to find a good medication....I think a lot of those resistant depressions are usually solved by something like lamotrigine if possible.

Counseling is pretty good, but as you said it can take a while till you are able to squeeze out what is it thats the real problem.

I used to be very depressed all the time as well....antidepressants didn't work for me, I had to sort out a lot of the believes I had about my self due to an abusive family and beliefs and so forth....and I feel really much much better now like I know what its like to not be depressed!

So if you want to stick around, it may pay off...but thats for you to decide...it is after all your time and your life.

Good luck...:slight_smile:!

9. Bearish

This sounds like me, but me being in your bf's shoes. From personal experience, when I say things that are negative, I am really unconsciously asking for help. I think it might be worth while to ask him what makes him happy, and what you can do to make him feel better when he does go into a spiral. Many depressed people engage in a behaviour called reassurance seeking: they depreciate themselves in order to get reassurance that they are not. I was there and I remember my bf was very frustrated with the situation, very tired of my depression and suicidal ideation. It took us a lot to work it out, and it really started with him understanding what I needed when I said something like that. I needed him to caress me, hug me, kiss me, overall feeling his presence. And gradually I felt safer with him and these symptoms disappeared.

Hopefully my personal experience can give you some insight.
    Good luck!

10. Pheonix Knight

Okay. Read this post because I am that guy. I went through a terrible relationship just like this. Only I'm not you. I'm the depressed guy. But I have the real answer, and its not ideal.

First off. He is not a baby. Depression isn't having a reason to be sad. Its an illness and often has to do with chemicals in the brain. I have it, my boyfriend, who like you dislikes chatting it out, also had it. So zi know a nice bit about depression.

First thing you need to worry about. Can you give him what he needs, and can he give you what you need? If not, you will either have to do the healthy choice for you both and break it off, or accept the other can't meet your needs. Which means you will have to tell him to ask himself if you can give him what he needs as well. And then tell him if you are willing to accomidate/change for him, or end it. This is about not expecting things of your partner and understanding what you both can and can't handle. I'm sorry, but you will need to dicuss needs with him and wether you are up to meeting them. If you can't do that, call it off now. Please, just don't drag yourselves through that. Trust me, that was my situation, it does not work. He needs to know wether or not you can give him what he needs. Remember, I've been in that position.

Stay healthy. If it wont work for you, call it off. Or if it doesn't work for him. Best respect each other enough not to make yourselves unhealthy.

And suicide. The problem with this is it is his choice. It is his life. He can die. And if you are a good partner and friend you wont make this decision for him. Fight to help him, but don't force him. My exe was the first to say to me in my telling him I wanted to die: "Okay, if thats what you want. I wont stop you. But I will miss you" and its a breather. To know your supported is liberating.

---------- Post added 12th Feb 2013 at 07:46 PM ----------

Be supportive. If you don't want to talk, or your not good at comforting, tell him. And remember to listen when he needs to share with you. Make sure he knows what you can not do for him. I love it when people tell me 'I am not good at this (comforting), but I care for you and want to listen". Again, don't drag it out if it isn't working for you both. But if hes a communication type, your best bet is try to communicate or tell him you can't give him that. If thats fine, great. If not, oh well. Its a hard decision, I know! Good luck!!!

---------- Post added 12th Feb 2013 at 07:46 PM ----------

Be supportive. If you don't want to talk, or your not good at comforting, tell him. And remember to listen when he needs to share with you. Make sure he knows what you can not do for him. I love it when people tell me 'I am not good at this (comforting), but I care for you and want to listen". Again, don't drag it out if it isn't working for you both. But if hes a communication type, your best bet is try to communicate or tell him you can't give him that. If thats fine, great. If not, oh well. Its a hard decision, I know! Good luck!!!

11. Quartz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Yes, he has been seeing a counselor, and I even had to take him to the hospital where he was sent to a psych ward for a couple days for being suicidal.

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2013 at 11:44 PM ----------

Initially I was very scared whenever he talked about suicide. But to be honest, I've become desensitized to it because it's gotten so common. But yes, it has put a lot of stress on me. My grades have dropped and it's affected my social life too, because I feel obligated to spend every minute of my free time with him (which to be fair is not very much - only a few days a week for a couple hours generally). He IS aware that he is depressed. He is on an antidepressant and anti-anxiety. And he both seeks attention from me and I feel obligated to give it to him.

We definitely communicate enough. It's not communication that's the problem, it's lack of understanding. I can't relate to his extreme mood swings. I am a very stoic person. He is impulsive and reactive.

One of the biggest problems I feel is that while he can communicate with me I can't communicate any of my problems to him, because he is so fragile. I feel that if I tell him any of these things he will start to dwell on them, and his already low self esteem will drop like a rock, because he will think he's causing me so much trouble, he's driving me away, I'm going to leave him because he's so messed up, etc (he has already expressed these concerns to me, and I've done my best to reassure him. Unfortunately to a certain degree he is right, but if I confirm this in even the slightest way it will send him spiraling downward).

I realize that this is very disorganized. I am trying to organize my thoughts as they come out, so everything's a mess. I think really what I'm wondering is whether or not to continue the relationship. I really want to push through and hope the crazy will go away, but I'm not sure how long I can single-handedly support someone so delicate. I fear, however, that I've already taken so much of the weight onto myself that if I push him away at all he will just come crumbling down. Argh, this is frustrating.

12. 4ever Hearth

Sounds like you should just tell him that you understand it isn't easy for him and that you have no idea how it must be inside his head but at the sametime, his inability to function solo is slowly tearing you apart. Tell him that even tho you are in a relationship as his lover and friend, you can't keep giving him all of your energy and at some point he has to want things for himself. Tell him that sometimes you are going to want to go out with your friends and that doesn't mean that you don't like him or don't want to be around him anymore. It just means you like your alone time. And when he starts to pull away from you, don't let him. Don't let him close himself off and fall into that ditch he's become accustomed too. As someone who suffers from depression and emotional mood swings, I know that having rock can be nice but having a rock that helps you do for you, fight against the clouds that block the sun in your sky and cares for you immensely at the end of the day is f**king awesome. Basically, make him face all of his negative thoughts instead of just letting them run rampant. Speak to him generous yet stern and let him know that you care unsurmountably but he has to learn to hold some of his own baggage or this companionship will sour into bitterness and resentment. And better yet, do all this after having watched "Girl, Interrupted." That movie, and friends, definitely was a help when I was having one of my episodes. I sincerely wish you the best in this situation and bless you for caring enough to stay this long. (*hug*)