1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closed relationship...still use protection?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by stuffiscool, Feb 12, 2013.

1. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

If you're in a closed, long-term relationship, do you still use protection? For birth control, STDs (in case...your partner cheats?), or some other reason?

I've been sifting through safe sex articles and am left confused because it seems like they are talking about sleeping with multiple people or people or untested, not-yet-committed partners.

I am not interested in being sexually active right now; I am just curious, and confused. :eusa_doh:

2. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really have any experience with it myself, but I know a couple friends of mine who are in long term relationships still use protection. You can never be too safe.

3. Ianthe

All the health professionals I've heard weigh in on this issue, always say condoms for anal sex, always, even in a relationship.

4. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, not only for HIV/STD's sake but possible infection to top guy since things could get in his urethra while inside the rectum.

5. yup. personally i would. its not that i wouldnt trust who i was with its just about being safe for my own sake. it doesnt matter even if we had been together 10 years lol, but by then we both prob would have lbd so it wouldnt matter anyways. :lol:

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do for anal. Less for safety (I'm very sure that we're both negative), but because it makes clean up a lot easier. It's just part of the process now.

Lex

7. yidnah87

I think I would still want to use a condom for anal sex if in a long term relationship. Despite the fact that both partners are negative for everything, there are still a lot of bacteria in there and it would feel cleaner if a condom were used.

8. kylo

Honestly in my very first relationship my bf at the time pressured me into not using condoms cause he didn't want to and me being dumb and naive I let him have his way for months and we eventually broke up. I've been with my bf now for 11 months now and we always use condoms, but we do have our slip ups here and there. I get tested regularly. I don't judge people/couples that don't use them though because that is their own decision and as long as they know the risks then more power to them.

9. Princess N

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The girl that i am seeing insists on me being tested. Which is totally fair enough. Its about been protected, and knowing you are safe then you can have lots of safe fun :wink:

10. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    well. not in a lesbian relationship. l know there's a small risk of some STIs but l honestly don't care.

with men l was on the pill and am very much looking forward to never going back on it.

11. FemCasanova

Hm, yeah, I did not consider that danger for infections and stuff when men do it anally.
    I was going to say that my personal philosophy is that until both have been tested twice (HIV requires two, with three months apart) you use protection. After that when it`s established that you are safe, then it`s okay to skip it. If you feel your BF is the cheating type, or are worried about it, then I`d continue with using protection. But like they say above me, anal sex can lead to infections, so possibly best to continue using condoms during those activities.

---------- Post added 19th Feb 2013 at 02:10 AM ----------

Yeah, I am kind of thinking like you. In a lesbian relationship, whatever protection there is feels clumsy and weird. So, I don`t use it. I test regularly though, or did, back when I was single. I have also been on the pill, and that was a nightmare! One of the perks of lesbian relationship, you can hump as much as you want to, but at least I won`t knock her up :wink:

12. oblina

For the first couple months at least, yes. HIV tests dont show positive sometimes for up to three months, so Dr.'s reccomend using birth control until both of you have tested negative twice within a 4 month period. May seem stupid and annoying but hey, its HIV. If you think it's not scary go get tested, my girlfriend and I did for our biology class and even though i had been in a 4 year closed relationship and she had been celibate for 6 years, the weight of what a positive result would mean really hits you when you wait that 15 minutes.

After that it is up to you. Do you trust them?

Or if your in a heterosexual relationship, birth control should always be used.

13. BiWidow

I have HPV. This STI could have been dormant in my system for years. So, though I have not in the past, I will always use a condom when I have sex. There is still a risk of transmitting HPV with a condom but it is better than nothing.

14. leer

ok I will be honest .. with my ex who I was with for 6 months we had sex without protection it only happened once and I was sure we were both free from infections and stds I just wanted to experience it .nothing special BTW guess I was lucky it will never happen again.
    I do understand all the seriousness. I told my friend about it and he almost dragged me to the clinic next day .

15. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I intend to always use protection, unless I am in a relationship with a female-bodied person and we are *ahem* trying. :icon_wink It's cleaner, and if discussing anal, there's a lot of nasties up there even in a healthy person.

16. MixedNutz

me and my partner have been together for almost 2 years and we have been tested many times, as he is in the medical field. We stopped using protection after becoming exclusive for many months and after many tests.

17. Incognito10

I've been with my partner for almost four years, we've been tested and don't use protection.