1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oddly sick: what should they be testing me for?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Bree, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Bree

I've been feeling like crap for the past...month and a half? I've had an on/off sore throat and I've been absolutely exhausted the entire time. I can sleep for nine hours three nights in a row and still feel tired.

I finally went to the clinic, and they did tests for strep (negative) and identified that I had a throat infection. They also tested my throat for gonorrhea and chlamydia, but apparently the test is unreliable. I was given amoxicillan and told to come back if my sore throat didn't clear up. I thought it was clearing, and then it didn't.

I went to a different clinic, where I was told that no, that wasn't a throat infection. They did another strep test (negative), mono (negative) and hemoglobin levels. They called me back because I was slightly anemic, but I do have genetically low hemoglobin, my red blood cells were normal, and I don't think that it would be responsible for just how awful I've been feeling. I've also been consistently taking iron supplements and eating high-iron foods since (that was over a week ago) and actually feel worse than I did at the time. They also tested my iron levels and B12, and those were normal.
    I also renewed my prescription for a steroid nasal-spray for environmental allergens that I'd been taking last year, as I'd had a sore throat then due to rhinitis from allergies. I haven't noticed any improvements.

I'm in average shape, fairly slender, and eat reasonably healthy. I do tend to eat a limited variety of foods. I've also been struggling with depression, which makes it difficult to identify the cause of low energy levels, but I still feel exhausted and slightly sick when my mood is high.
    I've also noticed that the lymph node under my jaw on the right side seems larger than I've noticed before--it's a bulge that I can clearly feel--but isn't particularly painful and my throat is more likely to be sore on the opposite side. I don't know if it's larger than it has been or if I was unobservant before.

...if you actually read the whole thing, you're awesome. Any ideas? Anything they could test for? I will go back and talk to the doctors again, but I'm not sure if I might actually have a cold on top of it right now, and I'll wait a few days to see if my symptoms improve and how much. It can be up to an hour and a half wait at the clinic closest to my house.

---------- Post added 12th Feb 2013 at 03:27 PM ----------

Oh--I also had a lip piercing that I just took out as I'd had it for nine months and it showed no sign of healing any time soon--it was leaking yellowish fluid. I'd tried everything, and the piercers were at a loss. One thing one of them said to me stuck in my head--"If you're sick, your piercing will tell you."

I guess I'm posting because I'm scared there's something seriously wrong with me.

2. Bree

Anybody?

3. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l once went to a doctor several times with similar symptoms for a year they couldn't figure it out, they suggested antidepressants.

Turns out l had allergies. Allergies can make you feel truly ill and you may not even sneeze or have obvious sinus issues aside from a headache, the fatigue and everything comes with it.

+ swollen lymph nodes.

4. June Cleaver

You could check for (forgive my spelling) Ebsteen Barr Syndrom. I had it back in X-mas 94 and did not fully recover for a year. It was March or so before I felt any better. I had swolen glands in my throat, tired all the time, sore throat off and on, and general flu like illness that came and went. I really got better when I started jucing carrots and apples and went on a vetable diet. From December to Jan I got intervenous antibiotics twice daily with no effect. They thought Mono, HIV, std's, and med resistaint strep over the first weeks until I tested negative for it all. My sister had problems with piercings and found that only 14K and above could be used without infections. Hope this helps, June

5. ControlledChaos

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A few years back I had two throat infections in the same year, about six months apart. I got tested for mono, strep, had bloodwork done, etc. It lasted for a month the first time and eventually went away after a third round of antibiotics and a steroid shot.

The second time lasted about a month and a half. I had the same symptoms as you - sore throat, feeling tired all the time despite getting sleep, and just not feeling normal. I went to several doctors and one of them insisted that it was in my head. One of the doctors finally saw that my tonsils were inflamed - it was hard to see because it was on the backside (or something like that). I had them removed and it turns out I had food particles stuck in my tonsils. That did the trick. I don't get prolonged sore throats anymore.

I don't know if it's the same issue for you, but my point in sharing is to give you some peace of mind. It's not necessarily something serious, and based on all the testing you've had, it just sounds like a nagging illness. Not sure if you've tried this, but in the mean time you can gargle with warm salt water 2-5 times a day. It's simple and it actually helps your throat feel better.

6. MartyK

MartyK Guest

Your lymph nods swell when you're i'll so there's definitely something wrong. It may only be something small, but if you go to your doctor with swollen lymph nods they should get to work on trying to figure out what the problem is. Never mind going to clinics etc. Go to your actual doctor and with a process of elimination he/she and the people they work with will find out exactly what is wrong with you. Also in the mean time check your lymph nods under your arms and in the pelvis area. If they are swollen you won't miss them because they are even easier to feel than the ones under your jaw.

7. kuzya3k

Try consulting with Michael mcevoy from metabolichealing.com hes a nutrionist who helps you eat right. You sound like you have chronic fatigue syndrome.