1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constantly drinking Vodka

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by amoore658, Feb 13, 2013.

1. amoore658

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi everyone

I'm not too sure if anyone else does this, but for the past two years, I've drank vodka most nights. (I drink Grey Goose - it doesn't have the "burn" that other vodkas like Smirnoff etc do)

But recently when I try to go a night without drinking, I feel very irritated. Aggressive almost. So I end up drinking.

I don't get hangovers thankfully.

I'm VERY happy with my life, I'm not depressed. But I feel addicted to vodka.

Has anyone else had this? How did yyou stop? I need to stop :frowning2:

PS I'm 20 years old

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    when you say irriated do you mean, like fits fo rage or just annoyed by little things. Sounds like you have a slight addiction, which can easily spiral out of control if unchecked. I'd say pick a night where you don't have to work or go to school the next day and just try to go without it for a few night, at least prove to yourself you CAN do it.

3. photoguy93

I think anything is possible. You need to nip this before it spirals. Alcoholics/any addicted person do not have to be depressed or sad. Sometimes, it just.... is what has happened to them. Maybe you were at one point. Who knows.

Just do your best to watch this and cut back.

4. Motov

Vodka was my "Mr Hyde" juice, I turned into total asshole when ever I drank the stuff.
    I no longer drink Vodka because of that reason, Any other liquor didn't do this to me except Vodka. That was years ago when my life was outta control. I no longer drink, period. I suggest you may want to try a 12 step program like AA, NA (NA is the same 12 steps but usually has a younger crowd although their focus is on other substances)
    I will tell you this you will get out what you put in to it, if you are serious and want to stop, do it otherwise you will just be playing games and they will see right through you.
    Just a warning.

5. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l'm not entirely sure how you haven't destroyed your body yet, after 2+ years.

But yeah...do some research. Physical and mental addiction are two separate tings, unfortunately alcohol dependency consists of both. Best to go off of it in a detox or rehab center.

6. Bearish

Can you get some alcohol substitute? Perhaps what alcohol does is calming you down before going to bed. Something else might also do the trick. Like tea. But if it gets any more than that, definitely grab a doctor.

7. 461 467

Ok, first off, I just have to point out that you are wasting a ton of money buying Grey Goose, if you just want something very smooth. I would recommend you switch to Russian Standard if you don't mind a bit more flavor notes on the palate, because it is nearly half the price and just as smooth.

But second, I wouldn't suggest you buy any more vodka at all. (You're not even of legal age.) Find a way to kick the habit, because it is not healthy. May I ask how much are you drinking, though?

8. Jim1454

Hi there, and welcome to EC.

The good news is that your drinking hasn't had an adverse affect on your life - yet.

You indicate that you're happy with your life, which is great. Yet you maybe aren't entirely happy with it, based on the fact that you're questioning whether or not drinking vodka every night, and having developed a dependency to it, is a good thing.

I think you probably know the answer to that question yourself. Drinking every night, regardless of what you're doing or who you're with, isn't healthy. And the fact that you can't seem to stop suggests that you've developed a dependency to it.

Like others have said, you should try to stop. And if you try and can't, you might need to get some help. Either in the form of addiction treatment, or through AA, or ideally both.

Have a look at the AA web site Alcoholics Anonymous : if you haven't already, and read the section about whether AA is for you. They have a series of questions to consider.

Hopefully this helped. Write back if you have any qeustions.

9. Gallatin

Just an FYI, the drinking age in the UK (where the OP is from) is 18. Most Western countries have their drinking ages set at 18 or 19.

10. Sarah1

Sarah1 Guest

NO! THIS is NOT healthy, you have to stop sometime, better now than later

I always see this happen to young people and its sad because they become alcoholics before they even realize what they are doing :***:

11. 461 467

Ah. I didn't look at the OP's location, and assumed it was the US. When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me... Lol.

The US drinking age is 21, which is quite high. Most of the rest of the world has a drinking age of 18.

12. MartyK

MartyK Guest

Drinking every night is a problem even if it's not an addiction. Eating fatty foods may not be an addiction but it can have deadly effects on your health without you even realising. The same goes for drink and i'd advise you to stop. So many people binge drink and although it may not be an addiction they are damaging their health every time they do it. It's not an addiction that damages your health, it's the thing your addicted to and all addictive health effecting substances take a different amount of time before you become addicted to it. STOP!

13. ChandlerCurious

Never heard that saying about assume....funny!
    :roflmao:

14. Labyrinth

I've noticed in the UK and Ireland there is a huge drinking culture, and it can really damage society from within. What I mean is in forming healthy relationships, priorities and general quality of living. Part of this may be derived from what is considered normal where you live. Nevertheless it is not healthy. I agree that some support in this matter would go along way. I would also suggest you form some healthy habits particularly in your bedtime routine. Habits you set in place which give you the cue that it is time to wind down for the evening. They take time to have this effect, but I personally like to drink tea and read before bed. Alcohol can severly alter your sleep patterns. After a long time of not drinking anything I noticed even when I had a little it would disrupt my sleep patterns and I would awake early. Of course you can override this by forming bad habits and overcoming your bodies sensitivity, but ultimately it is trying to tell you it's disruptive. Youve formed a habit and you are dependent on it. Find some support you can count on, read about alcoholism and form some healthy new habits to help your night routine.

15. Rev 22 20

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I drink on an almost daily basis...but I'm depressed as hell lol So idk why someone that isn't depressed would be drinking every night in the first place. There must be a deeper reason for your addiction/daily consumption?

16. Definitely not a good thing being depressed, but I know where you're coming from. If I could afford it chances are I'd be getting buzzed most nights just to take the edge off of everything.

Meanwhile OP, although you say you're happy, there's definitely something about your life that you're not happy about. Chances are it's something that you're either overlooking or are consciously glossing over and subconsciously frustrated and unhappy with. Take a little bit to try to figure out what it is, and then seek some help before it turns into a serious addiction. Having multiple alcoholics in the family, I know first hand what alcohol can do to people.

17. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bro!!! where have you been? come to Australia lol... dude i love vodka... i drink everynight...after work and normally drink "sky" or "smirnoff" its the best... people say i have a problem but i dont think so... i go gym in the mornings and work straight after... and dont have a problem... so dont worry bud there are alot of people like us around...