1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oral Herpes?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BornInTexas, Feb 13, 2013.

1. BornInTexas

Okay, today at lunch I was eating with my group of friends. My friend and I brought the same exact water bottles. I opened mine and stuff drank out of it. I don't remember how much I drank out of it, so this is why I am worrying. He has HSV-1 Oral herpes, and he has a cold sore at the moment. Well, it's not really a cold sore, it's closed up and barely noticable, but if you get close you can see it. He swears he didn't drink out of it, but he played a trick on me and said he drank out of it. Now I'm scared shitless. I don't want oral herpes, he swears it was just a joke, but I don't really believe him. He was so serious about it O_O.

The cold sore he had is just a scar now, I guess, he says so. And so there is no way I can get infected with it. I only took one small sip out of my water bottle when he freaked out and told me he accidentally drank out of it. This isn't good for my worry meter, because I have been on my toes all week and about to break down. Stress from school, college work, outside predicaments, coming out, it's all so freaking much. I don't want to have to worry about oral herpes, too. :l

So, just to clarify, he told me he might have drank out of it, he says he doesn't remember. If it is just a closed scar from a cold sore and barely is noticable, is there way I can get oral herpes, even if I only took a sip, and it wasn't even a large one from the water bottle?

If that is somehow possible, is there a test I can get to make sure if I do or do not have it..?

---------- Post added 13th Feb 2013 at 04:42 PM ----------

Bump. I just read somewhere that it is contagious when sores are present. His is sealed, scabbed, whatever you want to call it. Is it still contagious then? I am going to flip freaking crap if I have it. How can I get tested for it?

2. alwayshope11

Most people in the world have hsv1 ... Cold sores. If you did get it, it's not something you really can worry about.

3. KaraBulut

4. BornInTexas

Nothing really there that I haven't read before. I am looking for any advice maybe...? Not sure what I am asking for, though. I just worry about everything.

5. flymetothemoon

I think what people are trying to say is that it's highly unlikely that you aren't already a carrier of HSV-1. It's really not something to be horribly concerned about as so much of the population has it. Sure, it is potentially possible you could catch HSV-1 from this, but it's potentially possible to catch it from all sorts of things. It's worth being careful, but not worth worrying yourself sick over. There is a test, but I don't know how long it takes to show up in the blood test, and I also know you can get false positives and it won't tell you when you got it, only if you have it, and many many people are born carrying it now.

6. BornInTexas

I have never gotten a cold sore, and I don't want one. I just don't want something else to worry about. I read online where it says it's highly unlikely, but you may have it and it coming in contact with other HSV-1 germs will cause it to become active from it's dormant state and start making cold sores.

I just want some reliefffffffffffffffffffff.

7. alwayshope11

I know how your feeling and I completely get it...I worry alot..and have ocd ... But in a few days you will not be so worried about cold sores and eventually it will not even be an issue :slight_smile:

8. KaraBulut

Or in other words, the reason that you're not feeling relief from the facts is that the problem isn't catching HSV-1, the probably is an irrational fear of catching HSV-1

9. BornInTexas

Germaphobia? :confused:

10. KaraBulut

A bit.

Germophobia isn't necessarily a bad thing. It serves a purpose when it encourages people to be conscious to wash their hands, clean your bathroom or maintain good hygiene, etc.

It's these scenarios where the facts don't relieve the anxiety or the scenarios become increasingly unlikely that cross the line from reasonable anxiety to unreasonable fear.

11. alwayshope11

And again cold sores r common