1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girly probs :P

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jadakiss97, Feb 14, 2013.

1. jadakiss97

I tend to get very bad cramps during my period and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what I could do to help them.The pain intensity would be well over 10 on a 1-10 scale at its worst. I've done the electric heating pad, and the warm bath, anyone have anything else??

2. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh I hate menstrual cramps. Those are the worst! Sometimes it hurts so bad that I can't do anything but lie down on my bed and squirm around for an hour because it still hurts in any position that I'm in haha. Some of these things have worked for me:

- Heating pad, the bean-bag type (but I guess you've tried something similar and it doesn't work?)

- Take Advil (especially before you really start to feel the pain; prevention is better than cure! If you're already hurting, take it anyways, and it should help dial down the pain level after a while. From then on, just keep taking it on an every 4 hour basis. You don't want to give the pain a chance to come back.)

- Lie down flat on your stomach (the pressure on the stomach sometimes helps to alleviate the pain a little)

- Drink hot/warm fluids to sooth your stomach

If all else fails, I just wait it out.

3. Nyanko

I just try to take as much medicine as I can without overdosing. My cramps are little asses, nothing except for Ibuprofen and Tylenol will make them go away. And they're always bad so I become such an irritated person!

My friend told me putting something cold, like a bag of frozen peas, on top of the cramp source helps, but it just made my cramps get worse. Other people say it really helps them, so I guess it differs between people.

4. Kat kanu

Oh I know what you mean the only thing that kinda helps is when my Chihuahua lays on my stomach

5. Jazzy33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I unfortunately know how this feels. If you speak with your doctor sometimes they will prescribe you Ibuprofen 800mg. I would always take those every 8 hours and piggy back them with tylenol every four. It would at least take the edge off. But be sure to check with your doctor first though.

6. Klutz

Some forms of birth control can help. Also be sure you are drinking lots of water. If you are dehydrated they will be worse.

7. Tiny Catastrophe

I get them super bad too, to the point where I can't move for the first few hours I have my period. If yours are really bad maybe you should see if maybe there's something else causing it. Like I found out that mine are caused by a cyst on one of my ovaries. And don't use tampons when you have really bad cramps because they make them worse (my mom told me that one lol). See for me, just laying still on my back with my legs bent like laying in a fetal position on my back seems to be the only thing that's even slightly helpful.

8. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l take Aleve or the generic. Did take ibuprofen for 10 years, "worked" but not completely and l had to take 3 every 4 hours which l hate doing.

Best thing l did was switch to Aleve.

9. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Aleve is like a miracle drug when you're on the time of the month. I don't get how anyone could even last without taking it.. or ibuprofen for that matter.

10. Wickgaga

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    *dances around happily because I don't get my period*

Even though I'm on birth control for other crap, and the doctor says the birth control will probably start it up eventually, so boo. ;-;

11. isobella

Pain killers and a hot water bottle. Does the trick.

12. jadakiss97

Thank you for the help. Mom won't put me on birth control and I don't like to take any form of medication but I tried the other suggestions and they did help a bit so thank you :slight_smile:

13. Maryam

my periods used to be so bad i would miss 2 days of school and i would vomit alot. make sure you track your days and start taking advil a couple of days before you start. My doctor prescribed me medication that reduces cramps and stops vomiting. Since im going to college, my parents let me go on birth control to just shorten my period and helps everything else at the same time

14. idk if its the same where you are but in drugstores you can get this gel stuff you rub on your tummy and it helps. its like by a brand lil-lets (i think) that helped me when i was younger. and as someone else said drink plenty.

15. Ianthe

Generic name is naproxin sodium.

This is the only thing that works for me, personally. My mother used to get it prescribed before it was available over the counter.

jadakiss97, do you mean she won't allow you painkillers at all?

16. Wickgaga

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Must add, same day I made this post, started to come. I will just sit here crying from the pain I'm always in now. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Adarya

I normally tend to take Ibuprofen, and that's enough to deal with the cramps for about six to seven hours (taking two). Though, when it starts to wear off or I don't take some immediately when I get cramps they tend to be bitches. Sometimes, I just listen to calming music or read while I lay curled up in a ball under a warm blanket waiting it out....

Also, drinking a ton of water helps.

18. aeva

I usually do Midol, a water bottle on my tummy and heating pads on my knees and lower back (the pain goes up my spine and down my legs for me), tea, my bed and the fetal position. My stomach also goes berserk on the first day, so I try and drink as much fluids as possible to replace what I'm losing. While it does not completely eliminate the pain, it makes it bearable.

You should talk to your doctor about it. I've had muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories prescribed for severe cramps. Both of them upset my tummy too much (we have a stressful relationship at the best of times), but they may work better for you. Birth control also definitely does help (although I can't take them anymore due to another condition I have).

19. Cecil

Sometimes I take generic pain killers but surprisingly milk or chocolate! Yes I know it sounds stupid but it works for me. And not HUGE amounts, just a candy bar or a glass of milk.

20. TurtleRage

My periods have always been horrible, to the point where I can't eat. Turns out, I have fibroids. (Don't look it up. Trust me.) One is the size of a plum and the other is the size of a quarter. Even when I'm not on my period I'm in pain. I'm trying to avoid surgery, so I'm taking Norcos (like Lortabs) and Ibuprofen 800s.