1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog Troubles?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Emberblaze, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Emberblaze

I don't know how many people on here know much about dogs or animals, but my dog has been coughing up some kind of white mucus substance for about a week now. Um, what the hell is it.... Anybody know?

My dog's a lab-rottweiler mix.
    He's about 3 or 4 years old?
    He's always been on the skinnier side ever since we got him (we got him about a year ago)
    And although he's like one of the skinniest dogs I've ever seen, he's also the most ACTIVE dog i've ever seen. He runs like a horse. Literally. And I THINK i may have even seen him run on just two feet once, but that's beside the point...

He doesn't have any clouded eyes or pale gums or anything like that, which is really the only thing I've been able to check for. I'm going to have to watch him the next time he goes outside and watch his behavior.

My mom keeps saying that she's going to book an appointment at the vet, but I'm not really counting on it.... Most my family live by that "pray for your pets, hospitalize your humans" kinda rule, so if I sit around waiting for her, this could take a turn for the worse...

Anybody got any ideas...

2. Mochi

When in doubt, see a vet. Really it can be many things. Your dog could have swallowed something or it might have an infection. It is easy to worry about money and things but for me I'd rather be safe than sorry. Dogs are built not to show any signs of weakness so there's possibility that it might be a whole lot worser than you think...

3. photoguy93

Your dog definitely needs to see the vet. If your parents have that attitude, then boy - they really shouldn't have animals. I'd spend whatever it took to get my dog well. Are there any other symptoms? Can you call the vet?

4. KaraBulut

Dogs are subject to both bacterial and viral bronchitis. The generic term for it is "kennel cough" and it is contagious between animals but usually harmless to humans.

Since he has been sick for several days, you do need to take him to the doctor. They will need to treat the bronchitis but it sounds like he may have missed some of his immunizations, too.

5. Emberblaze

Thanks guys. I'd done a lot of internet research and most fingers were pointing at kennel cough so I figured i'd get the same answer here.

I'll definitely talk to my mom about getting him in there. Money tends to be tight so I just may be doing a lot of praying in the mean time.