1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Breaking up" with my therapist?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by LEZmis4, Feb 18, 2013.

1. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, after talking with my psychiatrist today, and having her confirm what I'm thinking...I think it's time I move on to a different therapist. I see a male therapist...and sometimes it's like talking to my Dad about things. And, he just doesn't handle the lesbian thing very well. My psych and I decided it would be more beneficial for me to start seeing a female therapist...one closer to my age.

However, I have been with my current therapist for over 18 months. He's the only one I've ever had, and he has helped me with some other issues quite a bit. I feel responsible and like I owe him some sort of reasoning for leaving...but I just feel like I can't. I don't know how to do this. How do I "break up" with him? I don't want to make him mad (which is my constant fear when I have to talk to someone...).

I know switching is the best thing for me, but I have no idea how to go about it...

Anyone have any advice or experiences they can share???

I have therapy tonight in a couple hours; I don't think I'm going to do anything just tonight...but soon. I see my psych again in a month, and I want to be able to tell her about my new, younger, female therapist when I see her again.

:help:

2. BudderMC

I know that feeling, sort of. I started seeing a counsellor at school and while she was helpful, now that there's other things I want to talk about I'm just not comfortable sharing them with her. I felt really bad, but I did only see her for like a month total, so I basically just cancelled my appointment through the office and looked into seeing someone else.

To me, if you're going to therapy you only get as much out of it as you put in, and that involves honesty. So just be honest with him. It might be awkward, but I'm sure you can explain to him that you appreciate all his help but want to move onto other things where you think a more relatable therapist would be more beneficial. If he's a half-decent therapist, he'l understand that you need to do what's best for you.

But don't stress about it too much. At the end of the day, you are their customer, and if they're not providing the services you need, then move on to better things. :slight_smile:

3. Jazzy33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I work in a behavioral health facility, and trust me therapists are use to this. Different people have different preferences on who they wish to see and what gender they feel more comfortable with. I would just tell him you feel more comfortable with a female and see if there is someone he can refer you to.

4. Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi.

I am a newly licensed mental health counselor, and have broken up with both a psychiatrist and and therapist, so maybe I can be a bit of help.

I can understand being afraid...I also fear people being angry with me whenever I express an opinion.

From the client perspective...with the psychiatrist, I called the office, talked to the receptionist and explained that I was looking for a better connection to the Dr. than I had with Dr. S. She pressed it and so I went for it and said "I felt uncomfortable with how he responded when I mentioned feeling suicidal and I would like someone who is more empathetic." She thanked me and that was that.

With the therapist, we had a good relationship, so I just told her in the last session that I was going to take a break from therapy and then maybe look for another therapist when it was time to return. We had a chance to say our goodbyes and I still see her around town and it's not awkward.

As a therapist myself, I really like it when clients tell me when they are discontinuing. Gives me a chance to say goodbe, wish them well and then get any feedback on their therapy experience. And, it saves the worry and tracking that happens if a client leaves without discontinuing, considering the risk of suicide, etc. Therapists are obligated to know that clients have discontinued, and that they are stable enough to be without counseling, or that they have moved on to another therapist and that care is continuing. So, clients discontinuing with me directly is the ideal.

That said, if you feel you can talk it through with your therapist, you can explain that a) you want a female counselor or b) want someone who specializes in LGBT issues. These are neutral concerns that are not about whether or not you like him.

If you don't feel comfortable with a face to face conversation, leave a letter explaining your reasons with the receptionist and ask her to give it to the counselor. This gives him the information he needs and keeps your anxiety down.

Hope that helps.

Jason

5. Kay

Kay Guest

I understand the fears and concerns. We have discussed this in the past. The therapist has lost clients in the past and will lose them in the future. You need to have someone who understands the complete you and can deal with you as a whole person. I have said before it is time to move on.
    One thing people forget is that the Doctor is really hired help. They can be released from your employ. I have learned this in dealing with my own heath issues.
    All you have to do is remember this and tell him. He will understand. You need a good fit and he is not it. Hugs and love angel

6. Chrissouth53

You can always tell him that you made great improvements in other areas, which you will carry forward, but you now feel that you need someone else to discuss your sexuality with.

7. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks everyone. I will definitely be ending things with him. I had therapy after I posted this...and he was a complete ass...and I don't care to ever see him again. So, now I don't have to worry what to say; I'm just going to cancel next week with him and find someone new.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, though. :slight_smile: This community rocks!