1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety or something else?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jvn95, Feb 19, 2013.

1. jvn95

Hello, for the past couple of weeks I have been having "panic attacks".

When they happen, my heart is racing, I turn cold and sweaty, I can't concentrate, and I feel like I'm dying. I have been called out of school twice for these.

But I am beginning to think I have hypoglycemia or diabetes...

Theses things only happen after I eat. About an hour after and then subside. I skipped a meal this weekend once and have not felt right since. I feel terrible today after lunch and really thought I was going to pass it in class while reading. This ne was different. I used my breathing techniques and it sorta helped but my heart would not stop beating and I felt like taking a nap, my whole body except for my mind was heavy, but my head was foggy.

I want to ask mom to go to the doc but all she does is yell at me every time I feel bad, she says everything I feel right now is of my own doing, and proceeds to ask me how I will get through life acting like this.

Does this sound like anxiety? Can I manage this?

Or is this something else.

2. ameliawesome

it sounds anxiety-related to me. i'm not an expert or anything, and i don't really suffer anxiety myself, but it sounds like a chemical reaction that's happening in your body that you can't necessarily control. i'm sorry that you mom won't take that seriously. is there someone at school you could talk to, like a counselor or the nurse? a teacher that you trust who would take you seriously? talking to the doctor would be best, but since you're young you'd probably have to contact your doc through your mom, but maybe if you get backup from another adult she'll call the doc for you.

3. jvn95

The counselor at school and my EMT teacher (who is an RN) told me to go see a doctor and they told my mom.

Right after they told her she started to yell at me. She is on disability because a crippling disease, and I can see how "stress" can seem insignificant to her.

I'm going ask her to take me here in a few. I'll be prepared for being yelled at or coming from the doctors with " I told you so" but I don't care. This is affecting my life.

4. Rivers

Maybe the sugar in your food is affecting your anxiety levels in some way. If you keep having these panic attacks, see a doctor immediately. It could be something very serious.

5. photoguy93

The Resident Anxiety guy is here!

I went through the same exact thing you did this past summer. I was assured it was Hypoglycemia and that I was going to just pass out right there because my sugar was low. And..... it wasn't. I did cut back on my Coca Cola intake, and I think it caused my body to over-react to sugar. I do tend to jump up and go down with my sugar, but I am also very anxious.

It's always good to go to your doctor. They will do some tests on you, which is good. Maybe you truly are! However, don't be surprised if they don't find anything. I think it's anxiety. But keep us posted!

6. jvn95

Mom agreed to take me to the doctor.

I sure hope it is not in vain. I refuse to take any pills for anxiety.

Thanks you guys ill try to let you know when I go.

7. photoguy93

This doesn't scream "must take pills for anxiety." You just have to be willing to work for it. Anxiety will not go away if you wait for it to go away. It's either therapy... or pills. Just try really hard, work on yourself (if it is anxiety) and you should be fine.

8. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l have issues with my blood sugar on top of GAD. l sometimes think they could be related.

But l have also heard that it's common for panic attacks to strike after you eat. l've only had a few and they do sound like mine. Very weird though because l had all the symptoms you did but l didn't actually feel ANXIOUS.

At all. l still don't get it, but whatever. l wouldn't worry about diabetes until the other signs start showing up and blood sugar issues can be managed.

l have to ration myself, l tend to consume way too much sugar in an attempt to regulate it and lm sure it's awful for my overall well being.

9. DoriaN

I have terrible anxiety, I use both therapy and pills.
    My issues have both statically and randomly hit me. I also get exhausted after eating and am not sure why.

Yay I didn't help! :frowning2:
    Sorry, still learning about my own issues

10. jvn95

I have been talking to mom about this.

I'm scared I have hyperthyroidism or reactive hypoglycemia, I ONLY get anxiety after eating. Any other time I feel normalish.

11. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi jvn95

I sometimes get like this 1 – 2 hours after eating and it’s even worse after drinking a sugary sports drink. My blood sugar rises dramatically and then plummets sometimes to 3mmol/L then I can get the shakes, become confused, and very grumpy. If I try and get out of this condition with another sports drink it just makes it worse. The best thing I find is to eat a little and often and avoid sports drinks.

I also have PTSD & GAD and find my breathing gets a bit out of control. I was taught a very simple breathing exercise to help me. Look at, or imagine, a doorway and as you inhale move your eyes along the top of the door so that it takes 1 in breath to slowly traverse the top of the door. Now breathing and moving your eyes at the same speed as the in breath follow the door frame down with your eyes as you breathe out so that 1 out breath lasts 1 door frame down. It’s difficult to do at first but I find it really helps. To slow your out breath you can purse your lips.

You should get this checked out anyway by a doctor for a correct diagnosis.

Sale Gay Guy

#11 SaleGayGuy, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013