1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have bad drinking (non alcoholic) habits? O-o

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Noir, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Noir

Lately I've been worried about my drinking habits! I didn't want to start surfing the web and freaking myself out unnecessarily because the internet can convince anyone they're dying when they really aren't. But I can't help but be worried because lately I've been having mild stomach aches after almost every meal. :icon_sad:

First of all, I am very thin, I have excellent blood pressure, and I don't have any health problems or concerns to speak of. I typically drink tea, Diet Coke, or milk. I have been trying to drink more plain water, though. Occasionally I drink coffee.

Could it be if I drink a Diet Coke after fast walking to class, if I eat too much a meal (which I typically don't, I'm not a big food fan and know portion control), or if I have nothing in my stomach prior to drinking a Diet Soda, that's all it is? Can anyone think of anything I could do to reduce the stomach aches or anything else I should be concerned about? :help:

2. flymetothemoon

Weird question, but can you describe what the stomach aches feel like? You might have a case of acid reflux, and if so, any dark soda, diet or not, will likely aggravate it.

3. This actually happened to me an I figured out that I'm a bit lactose intolerant. But if you think it's the diet coke making your stomach hurt, then maybe drink something else? Maybe I'm not understanding the question.

4. DoriaN

Diet drinks are counter productive to their purpose, the body knows how to process sugar; aspartame is foreign to it.

5. Rice and Pepper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am no expert, but I have been told a thousand times that Diet cokes are simply harmful. Regardless anywayof what causes you stomach burn, I think you should stop drinking.
    You should also try eating more solid food that can absorb liquids(eg bread), and less sweets, milk products (so milk won't help in your case). Bread will make you feel much better (at least so it does to me). Water can help control the burn, because it dilutes the gastric acid, but it won't make it disappear. And don't skip meals etc. If the problem keeps on, then I suggest asking a doctor or a professional.

By the way, whenever I have a stomach burn, apart from bread, bananas seem to help it calm down. And my brother gets stomach burns when he is under a lot of stress.

6. newgirl31

I heard that it sometimes helps to drink peppermint tea. Ginger helps with nausea. But since both caffeine and milk can each be a problem...they say if you try and take one type of thing that might be the problem and just eliminate it for a week (two weeks if you can) and see if there is an improvement it might show the cause. Like no dairy, no gluten, no caffeine, etc.

7. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l don't want to launch into the Coke let alone aspartame rant but l'd honestly layoff it.

l don't do artificial sweetener for a myriad of reason but l've also noticed stomach problems with regular Coke. lt's very corrosive.

8. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A lot of sugar and no food in your stomach will cause a stomach ache. I should know, I myself have a non-alcoholic drinking problem. When I drink a lot of tea without eating my stomach feels really upset until I eat.