1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speech Issue

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ShadowDragon, Feb 20, 2013.

1. ShadowDragon

So I have a speech probelm. I can't say really any word that ends in "ong" and have a hard time with "th" sounds .-. I literally can't say the word "tongue" at all. I find it extremely embarassing and I hate it a lot. Wondering if anyone knows a way to help. I have done speech therapy in the past and it didn't help at all. I practice a lot when I'm alone but its a little hard cause I can't really tell if i'm saying the words right. I want to know if anyone else has a speech probelm? Also curious if people with speech probelms idk how to word this but "bug them"?

2. Last Gentleman

Try speech therapy again. Maybe it was the therapist who wasn't able to teach you, rather then you not being able to learn.

I do know that Nuk make a pacifier for teens/adults specifically for speech impairments. A speech therapist would be able to be more specific in detail, but sucking it and doing other exercises with it actually strengthens the tongue and trains you to move it around your mouth better.

I've got a a speech impairment of sorts.
    I did do speech therapy as a child, but now as an adult I more or less talk normally. I just tend to stumble over random words if I rush my speech.

3. Adarya

I agree with Last Gentleman with you going to see another speech therapist or start speech therapy again, especially if your speech issue is bugging you and getting you frustrated. There's nothing wrong with trying again, even if it didn't really work the first time.

When I was younger I had this weird speech impediment that none of the teachers or people at the kindergarten/school could diagnose. I couldn't say certain words, or communicate written words orally (repeating them out loud). It still somewhat exists now, even in my teen years, where I have trouble communicating words out loud after I read them, mostly because I can not understand what the letters sounds are like and how they come together; stuff like that. I find myself saying many words wrong, it's hard for me to read out loud, it's popping up while I am trying to learn a new language, and I find myself stuttering a lot. I know how you feel about being frustrated about your speech issue: I'm no longer taking special speech therapy (can't afford it) and I still have problems with my speech. Yet, I'm good enough to go without it. Still, I prefer written communication over oral/speech.

4. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have a stutter and I talk REALLE quietly and fast. I seriously have to think out every word I say carefully, and usually I am fine. The more stressed I get the worse it gets.

My stutter used to be horrible, but I did speech therapy and it did get better.

5. photoguy93

Third times a charm I guess - try therapy again. I couldn't say my r's.

I had a wonderful therapist. It took me about 2 years I think. It wasn't even that it was something she did - it hit me. I remember being in the speech room one day, and all of the sudden - I could say it. I don't even know what did it. It just happened. It takes time.

This might be a terrible idea, but why don't you listen to how it should sound, and practice from there? Are you nervous, too? Nerves and expectations are a huge part - ever seen "the king's speech?"

6. unbreakable

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just have to say... my girlfriend has a hard time saying certain words, like "wolf" comes out as "woof". But the first time I heard her say it,that's really what made me fall in love with her. I think it's the most adorable thing ever! If you can't pronounce some words and people look at you like you're a mongreloid, than those people aren't worth your time. I guess what I'm trying to say is... Everybody has their quirks, just embrace them . If people don't like it that's their f***ing problem, not yours.

7. Jonathan

I've always had problems with speech. I went to speech therapy through all of elementary school (six years) and even then I probably should have continued it in middle school...but they gave it to me as an option and obviously as a middle school-er I turned it down because I knew everything :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: . I still have some speech issues, primarily I have a pretty tough time pronouncing the letter "R" . I just kinda live with it. I mean, it's not so bad that people don't understand what I'm saying, I just don't say it exactly right.

If you're very intent on changing your speech, I guess I would recommend going back to speech therapy...I'm not entirely sure what else you could do.

8. 461 467

Have you tried recording yourself, and playing back the recording?

I don't really have anything else to suggest, but it seems like that would help you gain a better understanding of what you sound like, so you can focus on the right words/sounds.

9. Klutz

I had really bad hearing as a kid and it impacted my speech. I did therapy for a while in elementary school, but never really got anywhere. I was told I was too smart and there were other kids that needed the attention of the special ed department.

I practiced words and sounds with my parents and sister. I had trouble with 'r' among other things and I remember sitting there trying to figure out how to make the sound. I'd suggest getting an audio recorder (or friend/family) and trying to make the 'r' sound by touching your teeth and just vibrating your vocal cords first with your front teeth touching, then your canines then your molars and see which sound you like the best. Another way I think about it is to open your mouth and sing a note. Now, touch your teeth and sing that note and pucker your lips a bit.

I used to be really self conscious about my speech and if someone didn't understand what I was saying, I'd clam up. Now in my age and wisdom, I don't care. I pick up accents easily and will hear a word said a way I think sounds nice and I'll adopt the way it was said. I've been told it is really hard to place where I am from based on accent. I get everything from Britain to New Jersey to the Deep South.

If trouble with 'rs' really bothers you, move to New England. "Rs" are abused so often, no one would notice if you had problems with them.

10. Suile

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have speech problems my self.
    You would find anyone who can be a good friend has no problems understanding you at all. It's kind of like they just know what you are saying.

---------- Post added 24th Feb 2013 at 10:15 PM ----------

Would be alright to post picture showing what my problem is from
    my tongue is just to big for my mougt.

11. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My brother has some, resulting from his mild hearing loss. Don't notice them too much now, but they definitely were worse when he was younger. Every now and then, he still leaves out "S" sounds from words. Can't blame him, he doesn't hear those sounds.

12. aspiecarer

I have a cousin who has bi-lingual children.
    One of her daughters has speech problems in one language only, the other language is fine.
    Maybe learning another language mitt help you overcome your speech problems?