1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark shadows around eyes

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Paul_UK, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Does anyone know what causes dark shadows around eyes? I have had this for some time, and it is gradually becoming more obvious (see photo). I'm not tired and nobody has hit me!

What can I do about it? Moisturiser doesn't seem to help much.

Thanks.

#1 Paul_UK, Nov 12, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  2. Micah

There are actually a number of causes of dark eyes. The most common ones are:

-Naturally born that way. If you have a sharp nose / high nose bridge, then you are likely to have "deep set eyes" (eyes further back into the head). This can cause a shadow like glow around your eyes.

-lack of sleep. Just because you aren't tired, doesn't mean you are getting the right amount of sleep. Earlier this year I was running on 6 hours of sleep a night. I was used to not getting much sleep, so I never really felt tired. I started to get dark rings around my eyes, and decided I would try get more sleep. I went to bed 2 hours earlier at 10pm instead of midnight, and the rings around my eyes slowly disapeared :slight_smile:

-Side effect of drugs, natural pigmentation with age.

If you're eyes are puffy, you can use an anti-aging type cream to firm them up (as anti-aging creams usually contain ingredients that increase the skin's natural elasticity).

In terms of reducing the shadows there are a few options.

-Try increasing your sleep periods a little bit. If you are sleeping for less than 8 hours, try to get 8 hours sleep. If you are sleeping for anymore than 8 hours, then lack of sleep might not be the cause, however, increasing your sleeping time by about an hour might help reduce the shadows.

-Use a moisturiser that contains vitamin K (such as Sudden Change Dark Circle Concealer). The vitamin K will (over time) lighten the tone of the skin, reducing the shadows.

-Use a concealer/tinted moisturiser/waterbased foundation. These won't help your eyes directly, but will cover up the shadows immediately. I don't know how comfortable you are with wearing 'cover up' products...but you're gay so you should be able to get away with it :slight_smile: And tinted moisturiser is extremely difficult to see :wink:

-Getting eye massages can be helpful too, as they encourages the flow of blood through the vessels.

Well those are the standard treatments. Hope it all goes well :slight_smile:

3. TriBi

My recommendations....

More sleep...
    keep hydrated (drink LOTS of Water):slight_smile:

4. okstatecowboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It may also be an issue due to allergies and/or sinuses. That's what causes mine...

mikey

5. GuitarGirl1350

This sounds so weird and it sounds ike a prank, I know. But I SWEAR TO GOD it works. I know someone who did this with marvelous results.

Putting hemmorhoid ointment on your dark circles before you sleep fades them considerably. It takes a few weeks, but it works.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Hmmm - interesting. I think we have some of that in the bathroom cabinet, from when my partner needed it a while ago.

7. tired_of_lying411

i have them a bit... but mine are from being a sleep-deprived teenager. :slight_smile:

8. Micah

Well I went shopping for skin cleansers today and as part of spending a certain amount of money on products, I received a free "Clinique All about Eyes" Product, which is supposed to reduce the puffiness around eyes and lighten the rings. I shall try it out for the next week :slight_smile:

9. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Damn, why am i always the last to comment after the issue is half resolved....anyway, i'm not dermatologist but water would help immensly....try and drink the recommended, i think it's 8 glasses, of water a day....that will defintely help along with maybe some home remedies and/or moisturizers etc. will clear it up pretty quickly i would think.

So:
    1) drink the recommended water intake per day, religiously.
    2) cooled tea bags on eyes + cucumber atop the tea bags for 10 minutes
    3) then apply anything with vitamin K in it and/or retinol
    4) if all else fails, check your diet and cut down on salt intake, smoking, and increase cabbage intake and other green veggies (jez, green veggies do everything lol)

10. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

The causes of dark circles around or under the eyes can come from a number of sources:
    1. You family - it seems to run in families
    2. Dehydration
    3. Some claim lack of sleep - with subsequent causes being depression, stress, anxiety
    4. Allergies - mold, hayfever, dust mites, etc. Finding the cause may take a while.
    5. Some claim kidney origin but I don't find much to support that except Oriental Medicine and Naturopathic sources.
    6. Possibly smoking
    7. Fatigue from just about any source, especially if it has been long standing

Treatments:

Most likely some of the above suggestions might work. Decrease stress, treat depression if present. As for hydration- about a liter and a half a day of water is all that is needed perhaps. Normally with coffee, tea and other forms of drinks, one gets enough. Unless you like to pee a lot, the 8 or more glasses of water will be excessive. Determine if you have an allergy- again sometimes hard to find to what it is.

As for the veggie routine, never heard of it.

General adjudge that I have heard is: If it has more than one cure, it likely doesn't have any. Cosmetic covers might be the only recourse, but trying to correct some of the thought causes may correct the problem.

11. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Well I heard from one of my clients (who is also a biology professor) that the blag 'bags' under your eyes are usually as Dave says caused by lack of sleep. Apparently it's a sort of bruising because the tear ducts have had to overwork lubricating your eyeballs whilst your awake. Not sure how this stands up though?