1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I shaved (Down there) pimples -_-

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MtnFr3sh, Feb 25, 2013.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay, I disliked my pubic hair, it was itchy and kinda coarse, so, I had the wise idea to shave and now I really regret it. Now I've got a shit load of pimples and I'm sore. This is kinda embarrassing.

Can you tell me how to get rid of them quickly and next time I shave down there to keep from this happening again?

#1 MtnFr3sh, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. Coyote

I don't know how to get rid of them quickly, but DON'T SCRATCH/PICK! that will make them worse. You tend to get pimples when you shave "against the grain" (against the way the hair naturally goes/lies) so try to avoid it if you can.

The itching lessens over time if you keep shaving - I do it twice a week - and after a while it becomes as quick as shaving elsewhere.

Don't worry though, they will fade in a week or so :slight_smile:

3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup, sounds like irritation. If they're black, they're probably actually ingrown hairs. (they look about the same) Either way, leave them alone, or you can use the same types of pimple treatments you use on the face. Just know that most are a mild acid, and you probably don't want to use them right after you shave. For the most part, the skin down there isn't really different from your face (except for your scrotum, that's really thin, gotta be careful if you shave that). Always shave with the grain first. If you want to get a really close shave, go back against the grain, but know that even doing it this way will increase the likelyhood of the area getting irritated, and you getting ingrown hairs.

Just like your face, the more you let yourself get used to shaving the area, the less it will itch over time.

4. Jonathan

The first time you shave well basically anywhere (legs, arms, pubic area) you're most likely going to irritate your skin which is going to lead to razor burn like that. As others have mentioned, if you shave in the wrong direction, you can have ingrown hairs that could look like that.

I'm not too sure what you need to to do to get rid of them quickly, I just kind of stuck it out after shaving for the first time. However, with each next time my skin got less and less irritated and now when I trim there's like no irritation or razor burn whatsoever. So don't just let one bad instance scare you away from shaving if it's how you want to look, just be more careful with the following attempts :slight_smile:

5. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Topical Benzoyl Peroxide is an excellent way of reducing the levels of bacteria that are causing the irritation. You can get it in your pharmacy for less than $8 — I would presume anyway.

What you have aren't ingrown hairs. You have folliculitis, which is the infection of the hair follicles. Besides the use of Benzoyl Peroxide and something like Aloe Vera to sooth the irritation, there isn't much you can do to get rid of them. You just have to wait.

Next time though: you need to use a fresh razor, good shaving foam, and you need to make sure the area is clean before you do it ... so do it in the shower. Exfoliating is definitely a good idea; you should probably use a body scrub, not a loofah or something because they just introduce a lot of bacteria to the area. Leave your pores expand due to the steam.

Yeah, everyone says that you should shave with the grain, but this never really produces the result you'll be looking for because it will be prickly since you're not getting a close shave. It's definitely possible to shave against the grain if you have a good razor (Gillette Fusion ProGlide is by far the best) and some sensitive shaving foam.

After you shave, don't rub the area with a towel ... that will just introduce more of the dreaded bacteria. But maybe apply some soothing Aloe Vera with some kind of antibacterial agent in it.

This will do a lot to stop any irritation.

And then for the few days after you shave, you should exfoliate every day. But don't exfoliate if you've got irritation; that will only worsen it.

6. Bree

You also need to be really careful with your choice of razor. I know that I get that kind of reaction really easily, and the more often I shave the worse it gets.

First of all, use a really good razor, one designed for sensitive skin. Apparently the Schick Intuition Plus Sensitive Care razor is good--I'm going to try that one as soon as I get a bit of extra cash.

You can also use an anti-ingrown formula. Whish flawless ingrown hair serum is pretty good.

Also try to soak the area before you shave, to soften the skin.

7. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks! But it was an electric razor :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, another piece of the puzzle. I've completely given up electric razors, no matter how often } tried, they caused irritation. The "lift and cut" that is advertised by most of the companies that make these is a result of the blade tugging on the hair to get it up inside the screen. I am not certain the extent you shaved, but the thinner and more mobile skin down there can easily be pulled in and cut with the hair. If this is one of the razors where you see 3 circles on the business end, you are always shaving both with and against the grain. If you are going to shave below, use a manual razor, and always with sharp blades. Dull (old) blades will not cut as well, and may cause increased irritation. Also, don't expect the razor to romove all the hairs in one pass. It may take 2 or 3 passes in slightly different directions to get them.

9. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What kind of electric razor? Most of what I said should apply: you should still using shaving foam.

But a manual razor is definitely the best. Even the "bodygroom" razors designed for down there don't shave close enough for me.

10. KaraBulut

11. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks guys, I honestly didn't know I was supposed to use shaving foam with an electric :confused: Anyway, it's one of those Braun razors, not with the three heads but with just one along with a trimmer for longer hair which I used first to shorten it before using the one for shaving shorter hair length.

What I did and always have done is shave after taking a shower. I'll be honest, I just flat don't like having body hair. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#11 MtnFr3sh, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  12. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Other than a couple specific models, I hadn't heard of using cream/foam with an electric either. Usually electrics are used dry, before you shower, your skin is a little tougher that way. You can (and probably should) still use the trimmer to shorten anything long before shaving.

13. KaraBulut

There's some differences of opinion on this.

The manufacturers of both manual and electric razors recommend that you wash your face with warm water and exfoliate before shaving. This is supposed to remove dead skin, bacteria, etc from the surface of the skin. It also makes the skin softer.

With electric razors, they recommend that you either dry the skin well or use an astringent pre-shave lotion. Unless the brand recommends shaving wet, it is supposed to be used on dry skin.